Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: How high can rents get to before people go homeless?

@drizzellla wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@drizzellla The thing I'm reading for NYC who has a similar set up is that most of these buildings are sitting with not many tenants.  Where are all these rich people coming from?  Overseas?  So PA is doing the same thing too, huh?  

I think these developments are common in many states. We passed a development even bigger than the ones I have seen in NJ and PA. I think it was in VA. It seemed to go on forever.

Not sure who is buying but they are not cheap.

When our friends's parents died, they sold their parent's house. It was convenient to Villanova University. It was quickly sold for $$$$S to a Saudi Arabian family. They did not want their daughter to live in a dorm. And they wanted a house big enough so when they came and visited, they had room.

Yes.  Track housing Townhomes, condos and such.  Shared walls.  Or they are semi attached at the top front.  They feel like being in an apartment, though many people like them.  Where I live they have some with a front entrance of only 10-12 feet across but they can be very long.  You don't want to know what they cost either @drizzellla .  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@drizzellla The thing I'm reading for NYC who has a similar set up is that most of these buildings are sitting with not many tenants.  Where are all these rich people coming from?  Overseas?  So PA is doing the same thing too, huh?  

I think these developments are common in many states. We passed a development even bigger than the ones I have seen in NJ and PA. I think it was in VA. It seemed to go on forever.

When our friends's parents died, they sold their parent's house. It was convenient to Villanova University. It was quickly sold for $$$$S to a Saudi Arabian family. They did not want their daughter to live in a dorm. And they wanted a house big enough so when they came and visited, they had room.

Yes.  Track housing Townhomes, condos and such.  Shared walls.  Or they are semi attached at the top front.  They feel like being in an apartment, though many people like them.  Where I live they have some with a front entrance of only 10-12 feet across but they can be very long.  You don't want to know what they cost either @drizzellla .  

The county we left in MD passed a law/ordinance/decree/whatever you want to call it 5 years ago that NO single family housing communities will be built going forward. Instead, you must build UP, not OUT. Of course this is NOT applicable to the Western part of the county (AKA where the rich and those who hold the important county seats live) but a house must sit on a least 5 acres and be privately built. This is turning the county into a Tale of Two Cities. High rises (once banned) are now popping up and are either condos or apartments. Green areas are disappearing at an alarming rate and being real honest, it's starting to look like Baltimore City with specific groups clustered tightly together with other groups further out enjoying peace, quiet and rural beauty. Considering that this county was KNOWN for its bucolic environment, it's a shock and a 180 degree turn from what it was supposed to look like. We we up there a few weeks ago and the amount of building going on was just...unbelievable. A few townhouse communities are going up but they are so tightly clustered that it's all cement and asphalt; not a tree to be found. 

There are waiting lists for these places as well; most of the condo communities sold out before breaking ground. The number of cars and people will be unreal in areas that are already overcrowded and the schools....so sad. 

Other counties may not go to the extreme of banning single family homes, but the trend is definitely strong for apartments and condos. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Esteemed Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

The county we left in MD passed a law/ordinance/decree/whatever you want to call it 5 years ago that NO single family housing communities will be built going forward. Instead, you must build UP, not OUT. Of course this is NOT applicable to the Western part of the county (AKA where the rich and those who hold the important county seats live) but a house must sit on a least 5 acres and be privately built. This is turning the county into a Town of Two Cities. High rises (once banned) are now popping up and are either condos or apartments. Green areas are disappearing at an alarming rate and being real honest, it's starting to look like Baltimore City with specific groups clustered tightly together with other groups further out enjoying peace, quiet and rural beauty. Considering that this county was KNOWN for its bucolic environment, it's a shock and a 180 degree turn from what it was supposed to look like. We we up there a few weeks ago and the amount of building going on was just...unbelievable. A few townhouse communities are going up but they are so tightly clustered that it's all cement and asphalt; not a tree to be found. 

There are waiting lists for these places as well; most of the condo communities sold out before breaking ground. The number of cars and people will be unreal in areas that are already overcrowded and the schools....so sad. 

Other counties may not go to the extreme of banning single family homes, but the trend is definitely strong for apartments and condos. 

@FiddleDeeDee Where I live, I've been here for quite some time, save for a time I lived in two places at once (you don't wanna know) LOL.  I would be back and forth between NY and PA.  That's a bust and I'm exclusively in my home in NYC again.  I have seen then take large yards from one property (owner/city) sells it and the builders turn it into small tract housing.  

Where I live Single Family residences are still going up.  They cost a pretty penny and it's far away from transportation.  We have communities with mixed housing where there are beautiful older stately homes, then you'll se a spot they've figured out how to squeeze in a new build that doesn't look like the residences around it.  They will build anything, anywhere where I live.  There are about three times more people in my area now than it was years ago when I first purchased.  The congestion on our highways and streets, parking is a nightmare.  They don't consider these things when they are building all of these unaffordable homes.

Trusted Contributor

I am feeling better about my rent increase. I have paid $1250 a month for a run down two bedroom. I got my new lease on Monday. It went up $72.  I am on a fixed income and help to pay for care for my mom with dementia.  I had hoped to get another car--mine is 15 years old.  However, my insulin expenses and rent have left me barely making ends meet without getting another preowned car.  I must admit to being frightened. I use no AC because I cannot afford it and have cut back on almost everything except my cats.  I am going through savings very quickly right now. I know others are in worse shape, and lots of people are scrambling to figure out housing costs. I am glad that I always have tried to live frugally. 

Esteemed Contributor

@KailaS wrote:

I am feeling better about my rent increase. I have paid $1250 a month for a run down two bedroom. I got my new lease on Monday. It went up $72.  I am on a fixed income and help to pay for care for my mom with dementia.  I had hoped to get another car--mine is 15 years old.  However, my insulin expenses and rent have left me barely making ends meet without getting another preowned car.  I must admit to being frightened. I use no AC because I cannot afford it and have cut back on almost everything except my cats.  I am going through savings very quickly right now. I know others are in worse shape, and lots of people are scrambling to figure out housing costs. I am glad that I always have tried to live frugally. 

Do what you have to @KailaS .  Go to your state's resource pages and see if you can get help for mom and yourself.  

I hear you about run down.  That is very true in some areas of NYC.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KailaS wrote:

I'm so sorry you are in this situation! Make sure and check out all resources! That's terrible that you're doing without AC! I hope you can come up with something soon!

ETA:  make sure and check out options for help with insulin. There should be some sort of resource for that.

Respected Contributor

@KailaS wrote:

@KailaS   You definitely have your hands full.

Please contact your city/town/county officials or your Representative/Senator to see if there are programs that you may not know about that could help out.  Also, contact your power company to see if they may have something in place so you are able to use your AC through these hot days.

I hope things work out.  Good luck.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

Rents here start around 4500 for a home. Yikes.  I remember out of college renting an apt , all furnished for 99@ mo. Lol

Respected Contributor

I have an elderly friend, the mother of one of my best friends, who lives in a Manhattan apartment overlooking the East River...beautiful view and lovely apt...they have announced they will raise her rent to an astonishing amount-2k more per month and more fees as well.... and she can no longer stay there. Her late husband had left her with enough money to remain in their home for what she thought would be the rest of her life. She has lived there 48 years. NYC is her home....don't know yet where she will go. She is elderly and this is so hard on her. 
I just got a notice about our tax appraisal...shocking...even if you don't pay rent, everyone is feeling the effects.

Respected Contributor

I own a rental property.

I have tried to keep rents reasonable for the area. However, I will simply say that great tenants are hard to find. I have a service now that screens potential tenants. I refuse to rent to applicants who have records, have a bad rental history, trashed previous facilities and/or and taken their landlords to court. I am a nice owner, with a nice property who is sick of dealing with entitled tenants!  I am seriously considering just changing to Air B&B only. Less of a headache.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield