Honored Contributor

Re: How high can rents get to before people go homeless?

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

I totally agree we need to fix our zoning rules here in America. Most areas could benefit from mixed use buildings. You put cafes and shops and services on the lower levels and apartments and condos on the higher levels. With a whole block designed that way, it makes for a convenient and walkable neighborhood for residents. Where people can actually get to know each other.

They're experimenting with this in a big way in Barcelona, Spain. Barcelona has such bad pollution issues, that something has to give. They are trying to come up with ways for residents to be able to find much of what they need locally. Mixed use city "super" blocks are coming into play.

https://youtu.be/9kmIUjHL0zs

If you don't have to own and maintain a car, your cost of living goes down. But if you don't live right near the places you need to go, and there's no reliable and convenient public transportation, you do have to own a car. America is designed with us all spread out and we are forced to drive if we want to accomplish even the smallest errand.

@Porcelain wrote:

I totally agree we need to fix our zoning rules here in America. Most areas could benefit from mixed use buildings. You put cafes and shops and services on the lower levels and apartments and condos on the higher levels. With a whole block designed that way, it makes for a convenient and walkable neighborhood for residents. Where people can actually get to know each other.

They're experimenting with this in a big way in Barcelona, Spain. Barcelona has such bad pollution issues, that something has to give. They are trying to come up with ways for residents to be able to find much of what they need locally. Mixed use city "super" blocks are coming into play.

If you don't have to own and maintain a car, your cost of living goes down. But if you don't live right near the places you need to go, and there's no reliable and convenient public transportation, you do have to own a car. America is designed with us all spread out and we are forced to drive if we want to accomplish even the smallest errand.

The mixed use buildings are already a thing in NJ and most of the retail is empty.

Someone just said NJ has ridiculous rent prices. So I'm not surprised that people don't want to rent there.

If no business can afford space, and if no tenants can afford to live in the apartments and condos...what happens next is pretty predictable.

Complex problems can't be fixed easily or cheaply or quickly. A lot of effort and will and knowhow are required. Right now there isn't any will to fix anything.

The attitude I'm seeing here over and over -- with every single problem -- is very passive and defeatist. That's a self-fulfilling prophecy every time. If you don't have the will to fix the problems that distress you, no gumption to pull yourself up by the bootstraps, you are exactly right that you are stuck and your problems will never change for you. (I don't mean you personally, @CelticCrafter. I mean people in general.)

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

Maybe it takes the population density of two 30 story towers to make the mixed use model work. The fact that my building in Brazil had a residential and office tower meant people were coming and going at all times.

Esteemed Contributor

@LisaMofSLC wrote:

I recently got my new lease offer. Last year the rent rose $50. Ok covid. But this year, $129 a month! I went to the office and asked if it was a mistake. Nope, it's right. I am beside myself. I can't afford to stay but can't afford to move. Friends tell me it's a bargain for a 2bed. But an unaffordble bargain is no bargain. I can't buy offline anymore, afraid I would not be able to keep up with the EZ pays down the line. I may cancel Christmas. I am now looking for ways to cut expenses. Cut my work phone and get all my passcodes on one phone. Cut car insurance. Three small bills are close to being paid off.  So not using those accounts anymore. Any other ways to cut costs? Is anyone else (a renter) finding it's hard to keep up?

Sorry to hear about this in your situation @LisaMofSLC .  Landlords can charge what they want for rent unless they are participating in a government subsidy or they own and rent low income housing.  This is true for any state in our country.

I would suggest you go to your state's website, aging department or other social service agency that might be able to help you with your rent.  You signed the new lease so that means you will be responsible for the new rent increase.

It probably was not worth to look for something cheaper prior to your lease renewal because it sounds like housing is rising everywhere in the country.  Did you get notice prior to your new lease signing that the rent would go up by this much?  

Sounds as though you're stuck between a rock and a hard place.  What's the point in looking, when rent will be just as high someplace else, so I might as well stay here.....

Get on the internet and go to agencies for your state and apply for help.  You are now in a contract with the Landlord and can't back out unless he agrees to let you out of your lease.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@JamandBread wrote:

@LisaMofSLC wrote:

I recently got my new lease offer. Last year the rent rose $50. Ok covid. But this year, $129 a month! I went to the office and asked if it was a mistake. Nope, it's right. I am beside myself. I can't afford to stay but can't afford to move. Friends tell me it's a bargain for a 2bed. But an unaffordble bargain is no bargain. I can't buy offline anymore, afraid I would not be able to keep up with the EZ pays down the line. I may cancel Christmas. I am now looking for ways to cut expenses. Cut my work phone and get all my passcodes on one phone. Cut car insurance. Three small bills are close to being paid off.  So not using those accounts anymore. Any other ways to cut costs? Is anyone else (a renter) finding it's hard to keep up?

Would you consider finding a roommate?

That's one way to do it @JamandBread .  It's getting crazy out here with costs.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Some of your rents sound atrocious but how would you like to live in Manhatten?  With the occupancy rate being what it is, it sounds as though there's been a migration out of the city.

Screenshot_20220731-123834_kindlephoto-499612752.png

@Kachina624 Manhattan rents have always been high.  Even less desireable areas.  The rents are at the highest they've ever been.  Manhattan is ideal to live in because of it's central location to many modes of transportation and most corporate jobs and large companies are located in Manhattan.

Esteemed Contributor

@ShopperL wrote:

My daughter's 2 bd/2 bath apt went from $1550 to $2100 when she went to renew.  She now owns a 3 bd/2 bath house with 1900+sq ft and pays $2200 morgage.  That was north of Orlando.  She was lucky she found a house for a good deal.  Already updated.

Excellent deal for your daughter @ShopperL .  There are first time homebuyer programs that help with downpayments too.

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I feel so sorry for all who are getting raising home rates. It is terrible and terrifying for many people.

If we don't get people back to work, and the economy patched up, I fear for us all. With jobs going begging, I am thinking it is time to start considering jobs programs rather than handouts for folks who are able to work.  Sounds harsh?  What else are you going to do where it would be helpful?  It's a matter of people pulling together at the root of it all to help with hands out and hands up.  

And the current economic methods aren't helping that's for sure.  Nobody seems really worried about the economy in many cases. . . but US!  Woman Frustrated

The problem with with rising rents  is not in any way related to the economy and the job situation in this country is actually good.  Rents have been increasing for  years for various reasons. Supply and demand is partly responsible, there are not enough rental units.  Most places don't have rent control so landlords can charge whatever they want.  

@chrystaltree I agree.  Rent always goes up.  It never stays the same amount.  It's just a large pill to swallow when it goes up significantly at one time.

Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset    Are there any rent stabilized apartments left in NYC? I believe the rent controlled are history at this point.

Esteemed Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@gertrudecloset    Are there any rent stabilized apartments left in NYC? I believe the rent controlled are history at this point.

Yes.  Rent stabilzed all along Fifth Avenue and other areas.  Rent Controlled too.  The problem with these are that no one is leaving them.  They are not moving.  These are huge pre-war buildings, some on CPW.  

Two main programs that have set rent increases every three years that they negotiate: Rent Controlled and Rent Stabilized.  They are different, but I'm not sure how different @PickyPicky3 

Then there is something called Mitchel Llama.  You have to get on the waiting list to wait for them to open to add your name.  A list to wait for another list.  Yepper!

Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Porcelain In NYC mixed used buildings are in full effect.  There apartment buildings atop grocery stores and bodegas and other types of businesses.  It's like that in most of the other boroughs, but particularly true of Manhattan.  They change the zoning laws to suit a builder quickly.  No regard for the area the monstrous tower will go.  That doesn't matter.

Some areas are over developed.  No one wants to invest in affordable apartments.  In NYC the quickest thing to be built will be high rise luxury with gyms and concierge for rent our purchase.