Honored Contributor

Re: How high can rents get to before people go homeless?

In N.J. It's STATE LAW, every renter receives a legal manual/booklet called "Tenants Rights in N.J." along w/their rental contract.

Direct downoad to the PDF file---> https://proxy.lsnj.org/rcenter/GetPublicDocument/Sites/LAW/Documents/Publications/Manuals/TenantsRig...

Most apartment complexes in N.J. also have "Tenants Associations."  A rep from the association also attends the State Congressional tenant meetings in Trenton.

It's extremely hard to "evict" renters in N.J.  A renter can tie the courts up for years fighting an eviction.

============================================

Back in da day in Philly if you stopped paying rent, the sheriff dept is called, your items are thrown/packed to the curb (you & your family too if you're home) & your apt is padlocked.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

Rents???

Valued Contributor

Rent rose?

Buy offline?

Your post is difficult to understand! 

Do you need a 2 bedroom? Why not move into a 1 bedroom in the same complex?

Rent prices do increase. This isn't unusual. 

Valued Contributor

WHY are you making this comparison??? Obviously, this woman could never afford this! 

I live in the Northeast and, yes, the cost o living is FAR more than it is in the south and midwest!

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@KingstonsMom 

I would love to move back if I didn't have to give up my employment benefits.  They're too good to walk away from, being this close to retirement.

In the meantime, go to River Street Sweets & have a praline or 6 for me! 🤪😜

@SurferWife 

I totally understand that! We'll be here when ya'll are ready!

Hmmmm.......let's see.....6 pralines for you, 6 pralines for me.....I'll get a dozen.....or 2, LOL!

I adore their glazed pecans too, so a couple of bags of those will be coming home with me also!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

My current tenants have been with me for 8 years.  They are really good tenants so I want to keep them.  As a result I have never raised their rent.  As long as my expenses are covered with some left over to cover emergencies, I don't intend to raise the rent.  

Honored Contributor

If you're older (over 62) and just getting by, it might be wise to look into HUD's section 202 housing in your area. Your rent is capped at 30% of your income, which is great for low-income people. There's often a waiting list of a year or more, so apply early if you think there might be a need going forward. It can keep you from becoming homeless. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think housing will continue to be a big issue.

I know is our area there are numerous people looking for apartments to rent. Many apartments are for displaced people from the Ukraine.

And my girlfriend said that the government had bought a local Sheraton Hotel to house people from the southern border. 

The demand seems to exceed the supply.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@PhillyGirl23 wrote:

WHY are you making this comparison??? Obviously, this woman could never afford this! 

I live in the Northeast and, yes, the cost o living is FAR more than it is in the south and midwest!

@PhillyGirl23,

but surprisingly in big cities in the southeast now, rents can be as much or more than some places in the northeast!😬 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

If you're older (over 62) and just getting by, it might be wise to look into HUD's section 202 housing in your area. Your rent is capped at 30% of your income, which is great for low-income people. There's often a waiting list of a year or more, so apply early if you think there might be a need going forward. It can keep you from becoming homeless. 

In Arizona HUD wait times are around 3 years.