Honored Contributor

Re: How high can rents get to before people go homeless?

So do you guys support any actual concrete solutions? Like stronger or better enforced regulations or rent controls? No one individual is going to come along and fix this for you. You have to show support for specific programs if you want anything done about this.

Complex problems have complex solutions. Like Jenga. You poke one piece here and another piece pokes out over there. Anyone who tells you they have one quick trick to fix it all, has something they're trying to sell you.

Be skeptical. A friend of mine says, "You don't go to your barber to ask if you need your hair cut."

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I am a landlord and agree that many landlords are greedy and without scruples.

A family home where I spent my summers for years was passed on to me.  I could have sold it but since I spent so many happy times there, I thought it would be nice to pass on to my nieces/nephews for them to enjoy.  I couldn't afford to keep it and own another home so I rented it.  I have been very fortunate in having renters who love the house, pay their rent on time and keep me posted on issues which may need to be addressed as I live a distance away.

Currently I have a very good tenant who has been there for years  His rent has never been raised, why, because I would rather have peace of mind than be greedy.  Many comment on how low the rent is but it pays the bills for the house and repairs and that is important.   Property owners should not be raising rents so high unless there is an absolutely necessary reason to do so.  As long as I can keep the rent at a reasonable cost I will keep it at the amount it is now. This is my experience.

Respected Contributor

I would urge anyone having an issue with higher rent increases or questions regarding the issue to contact your Representatives.  Helping their constituents is why they are there.

When I have needed an issue addressed, I find their staff is knowledgeable and extremely helpful.  They may have resources and/or programs available you did not even realize existed.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

Every apt building or complex usually has more than only a landlord. They have an owner or property management company. I would think there would be some sort of guidelines for raising the rent. If utilities are included in the rent, they are passing along those big increases in electricity, water, etc. to the tenant. For those who have a government rent voucher, the voucher won't just increase if the rent goes up....some will need to relocate and that is becoming almost impossible with rates going up as fast as you can even check them. I don't know how much higher rents can go if most tenants must move out...landlords make no money if the units are vacant. 

Esteemed Contributor

Jersey City New Jersey has been named the city with the most expensive rentals. They average $5500 with increases over 66% in 2022. Hoboken and lower Jersey are very desirable due to the proximity to NYC. Many people work in NY but prefer to live in NJ due to escalating crime. I lived in NJ but commuted to NYC most of my career but not due to crime; I like my home state.

I live/own in a high rise condominium in Northern NJ & maintenance is high compared to neighboring condominiums but ours includes: two indoor parking spaces, gym, pool, 24 hr concierge, two dog parks, utilities, great view of Manhattan skyline, balcony & high speed intranet. Taxes are high in NJ but maintenance has been pretty stable with an increase of $38 last year. This year the board will take out a loan for big projects which we will have to repair for 5 years.

I enjoy condominium living as I have great neighbors and everyone is pretty friendly & helpful. We moved from our home 22 years ago & never regretted it. Didn’t miss shoveling, leaves, home repairs.

Taxes are
Honored Contributor

More specifically there is the Federal ERA program to help renters with rents and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (consumerfinance.gov) for those unable to pay rent, specific to each state and county.

I always thought it amazing that each person in a family-the parents, the children, the siblings everyone lived in their own place whether a house, an apt, whatever. Especially in America. Though I think it is great when the adult children or family members make it work when more have to and want to live together. But not everyone has that option of course.

We used to have a townhouse and it was more work than anything I'd ever lived in and we had to replace all major insides. The homeowners assoc only paid for surrounding grounds not close up to the house or individual yard. My other daughter's house they have had to replace everything, and it is hard to keep up. That to me is why houses are not always a solution. The condo we lived in was nice but also had lots of inside problems that we had to fight to get fixed because the problem was there before we bought it.

You can tell I'm not a fan anymore of a house. I think it is rare good fortune to have a house you love.Especially if you are living on your own. Some people can make it work but for others it is just constantly overwhelming.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

You sound like a landlord with some scruples, my opinion is most of these landlords are price gouging knowing that if the current renters don't pay the higher increases, someone else will be happy to. There should be a law that prevents them from doing this to people. What has happened to our fellow man that we don't help one another anymore? It's not as if these people are asking for a handout, they are asking for reasonable fairness in a time when we are all struggling. 

Trusted Contributor

I moved to Delaware exactly 3 years ago because it was so much "cheaper" than NY.  I did not purchase as I wanted to be sure this is where I wanted to be.  Over that time, my rent has risen $500.  This last increase, I said to my property manager - "Guess there's no rent control here".  Forget the prices of homes - just about the same as NY.

I'm retired and working 2 jobs.  Spend very little money.

I'm heading back to NY (suburbs).  I have no issue working, but at least I'll make more than $11 per hour.

Valued Contributor

I agree with everything you have said here, include in that QVC. So many are drawn into the lure to buy things we don't need with "easy pay" when it's just another name for buy it on credit and pay more for it in the long haul. My guess is things are going to get much worse and QVC will feel the pinch too. It will be any easy choice between food, rent, necessities, and things they don't need. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They've been high.  In California (notorious for excessive home prices) some rentals have forced middle class workers (tech workers) to live on subways. (sleep on the them, eat, etc)  In short: homeless. Bottom line for new college grads:  The longer you rent, the less likely you will ever own a home. You simply can't save enough money for a down payment. 

Housing market goes up and down.  But in the end....always becomes more and more expensive.  The American dream is to own your own home. One reason is that real estate sits on land.  Land, like gold is true wealth.  The more land you own, the truer your wealth is. You can't own a lot of land in California or Hawaii or Florida. Land is cheap in the deep South or very poor states like New Mexico, Arkansas West Virginia, Mississippi, Alabama. .  My state Maryland has always been in the top 5 richest state.  My sister owned a home with 8 acres of land. The neighbor homes with less acrage are going for over one million.  Another sister in New Mexico owns 5 acres of desolate desert  with a barn (no horse)  and a whole bunch of coyotes. Guess which one is worth more. But they both own land.  Still wealthier then the stock market, that is wealth on paper. That's more iffy wealth