Respected Contributor

Re: How handy are you around the house?

On 1/16/2015 Bird mama said:

I can do:

~ some woodworking - like cutting, staining and installing new workwork, trim and moudlings.

~ minor electrical - like replacing light fixtures, outlets, light switches and minor repairs of the washing machine.

~ installed a freestanding gas stove in established cabinetry - that was really heavy and I don't think I'd do it again

~ pretty good at caulking and weatherproofing; aspire to get better at mortar and light cement/concrete work

~ plumbing - I can fix a toilet (wouldn't mind learning how to install one), replace faucets and fix faucets. I hired someone to install the new disposal - too crowded under that sink LOL.

installing a toilet is easy..............way easy..........the hardest part is placing the wax ring, then setting the toilet squarely on the ring........that kinda takes some help, because some one as to be watching to make sure you're squarely over it...........then do the bolts..........attach the water line and turn the water on........................way easy...........hardest part is figuring out what to do with the old one LOL.........................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

I can't put up drywall, but I do ok.

That time these idiot carpet layers destroyed part of my house installing carpet a few years ago I managed to fix all the damage myself EXCEPT the places where drywall needed to be replaced.

I've painted many a house, inside and out, and know what I'm doing but I really can't do that anymore. I have too many physical challenges now and I find that I fall off of ladders, so that's out.

I don't think I really have any business messing with plumbing or electrical, though.

I've 'fixed' the garbage disposal a couple of times and I can do basic stuff that is logical and sensical. If it can be figured out and doesn't take a specific course, I can probably figure it out.

I'm good with electronics.

Respected Contributor

Oh my, no. Neither one of us are. When we would try to assemble something, the kids would say, "It's time for the comedy show." Thankfully we have a couple good friends who can do most anything around the house.
Honored Contributor

On 1/16/2015 VanSleepy said: Oh my, no. Neither one of us are. When we would try to assemble something, the kids would say, "It's time for the comedy show." Thankfully we have a couple good friends who can do most anything around the house.

Ooh, assemblies are my thing! I'm a pro at that sort of thing. The husband, OTOH, needs to just stay out of the way. He will pick up stuff and say 'what's this?' - 'where does this go?' - 'maybe this goes HERE'. No, just leave it alone and let me do it. I inventory all the parts and start with instruction #1, working my way through to the end.

Valued Contributor

VERY!

Fighting for them.( formerly EMTHeart)
https://www.facebook.com/ChicagoAnimalCareandControl/?hc_ref=ARQABXWGU0QxJ8S0etv9UWoAqEOZu1NXSKeSB0FeztlSRyGYWx17U1XqY_nz92D_IGQ

Super Contributor

I can snake a drain.

Honored Contributor

I can identify the problem and call the appropriate person. Lol. My husband is very handy though. He loves fixing things. Plumbing requires a professional though.
Respected Contributor

I am very handy around the house and farm! I was widowed and had this farm to take care of by myself and did (until I remarried).

And yes, I have set a toilet on a wax ring by myself. Oddly enough, this topic came up before and I posted about it then {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Respected Contributor

On 1/16/2015 chickenbutt said:
On 1/16/2015 VanSleepy said: Oh my, no. Neither one of us are. When we would try to assemble something, the kids would say, "It's time for the comedy show." Thankfully we have a couple good friends who can do most anything around the house.

Ooh, assemblies are my thing! I'm a pro at that sort of thing. The husband, OTOH, needs to just stay out of the way. He will pick up stuff and say 'what's this?' - 'where does this go?' - 'maybe this goes HERE'. No, just leave it alone and let me do it. I inventory all the parts and start with instruction #1, working my way through to the end.

That's what I do, too, but the end result is still wobbly! Or the doors won't close...or the last piece won't fit...lol
Valued Contributor

Me? Absolutely useless. I grew up with a very handy father (he did major remodels on every home we had). One of the things that was important to me when looking for a spouse was to find someone who was also very handy. Luckily, my hubby does plumbing, wiring, building, can fix my car, and woodworking. He can also fix my computer! I'd have married him anyway, but that was what sealed the deal (joke)!