Honored Contributor

How do you store your honeybells?

[ Edited ]

I got them today.  Not from QVC. Can they be put in a plastic bag? 

Honored Contributor

Re: How do you store your honeybelles?

i usually store my citrus in the box it came in and leave it in the garage. it is cold enough out there to keep them fresh and juicy for weeks.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Re: How do you store your honeybells?

@songbird.  Any fruit or veggie stored in a plastic bag has no air circulation, emits moisture and will easily rot.  Best to keep in a cool place in cloth, paper or some covering that's not air tight.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45   I'll try them there.  It's getting cold out there though.  Be in the 30's tomorrow.

They wre pretty good.  Very sweet and juicy.  A couple of them had some green on the bottom.  Haven't tried those..  I have 12.  Enough for me & my husband/son.  First time ever I ordered them. Don't know if I will do it again .  Still glad I didn't get them through Cushman. Mine are very big and heavy.  Very smooth skin.

Honored Contributor

Make sure they are stored where they wont freeze, I would be cautious of a garage if the temps outside are in the 30's. 

Maybe a basement would be better. 

Esteemed Contributor

Cold months I keep store bought veggies (cabbage - potatoes - applies) in the garage just in the paper grocery bag.  Have never had a problem.  My oranges are due for delivery tomorrow and that's where they'll sit in their box.

Honored Contributor

My attached garage is just a big walk-in cooler during the winter months.  Even though it gets very cold outside, it doesn't freeze there.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I ordered these for the 1st time and they  are delicious ! My family are enjoying these so much, I don't think we will have any left to worry abt storing . I put them in my  spare fridge where I store  lrge containers of  fruit  from costco

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband took them out of the garage.  I  put them in the basement.  Thery're in a paper bag.  Sitting next to the kitty litter, LOL.  It was in the 20's last night.  In the 30's now and back in the 20's during the day tomorrow.  (chance of snow too...winter is such fun..)   The honeybells are OK.  Thinking back, though they are not as good as those Minneolas I got last January.  Wow....were they juicy and sweet!  I'm not going to order them though.  Too much for me.  Neither my husband nor son are fans of them.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

My attached garage is just a big walk-in cooler during the winter months.  Even though it gets very cold outside, it doesn't freeze there.

@Kachina624 

we also have an attached garage. i store so much out there during the winter months, including onions, potatoes, lemons/limes, citrus, other fruits, sodas, juices, canned goods, cereals, soups, and more. it is very rare that anything ever freezes. everything just stays nice and cold. i also stored my mrs prindables there prior to giving them as gifts. it is like having a giant refrigerator. Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein