Super Contributor

Re: How do you share the holidays with your pet?

This is our first Christmas with our lab, I think I'm as excited about him as our kids! We got him from a family member who couldn't keep him anymore, he came to their family from Santa when he was a tiny puppy. I swear everytime he hears the word Santa, his ears perk up and he looks out the window like he's looking for him. We got him a small stocking with his initial which we'll fill with treats from a local dog bakery and each of our kids will pick out and wrap a toy for him. He's the happiest dog ever and I imagine he will be even more so Christmas morning!
Respected Contributor

I handmade stockings for my first two dogs 34 years ago with their names embroidered on them and hung them on the fireplace. I also wrapped bones in tissue paper which they would open on Xmas Day. Xmas is everyday for my pets now and since no one comes over I don't decorate anymore except for a basket on the front door. I couldn't imagine having a tree with 3 kitties in the house now.

Last year Teddy got 5 new sweaters and 2 puffer coats for Xmas (I couldn't decide) so she always wears one outside. Her Harley Davidson, bad to the bone sweater is our favorite. The 3 new kitties got new beds and they get treats everyday except when Indy is naughty like last night.

Valued Contributor

""Get down!""

""Don't chew that!""

""That's not a toy!""

Esteemed Contributor

I don't do anything special for my cats, since they have "Christmas" so often - I'm always bringing home little presents or treats for them. But they do enjoy messing up the decorations, and I have a special treat for them on Christmas.{#emotions_dlg.wub}

I did have a little miniature poodle named Missy for 14 years, and subsequently another one named Sugar for 18 years. We always wrapped several presents for them, especially with the long "curly" ribbon that you used a knife or something to curl it, and just twisted up the wrapping paper on the ends with the ribbons tied around it, so it wouldn't be so hard for them to get into their gifts. Christmas morning was not the same and never has been since I lost the second one over 10 years ago. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Sugar always knew which presents were hers if we put them under the tree ahead of time, so we had to put them on top of the TV (we had a console TV at the time) to keep her from getting into them too soon. If you asked her "where are your presents?", she would go running to the TV with her little tail wagging and stand on her hind legs trying to get them down. I adore my cats, but I still miss my little "doggie" furbabies! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Honored Contributor

We're retired, so every day is a holiday with our little one.

Regular Contributor

With some of the posts here, having lost their beloved pets, I have to add that I also celebrate with pets that have passed, with a photo of them on the tree. I went to Michaels and bought balsa wood snowflake frames, painted and decorated them with glitter, cut out photos of them for the size of the photo frame, and then used from the scrapbook dept. I got letters in a darker glitter to spell out their names. So even though they are not with us, they are on our tree and forever in our hearts.

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/18/2014 poshmini said:

With some of the posts here, having lost their beloved pets, I have to add that I also celebrate with pets that have passed, with a photo of them on the tree. I went to Michaels and bought balsa wood snowflake frames, painted and decorated them with glitter, cut out photos of them for the size of the photo frame, and then used from the scrapbook dept. I got letters in a darker glitter to spell out their names. So even though they are not with us, they are on our tree and forever in our hearts.

What a great idea... I've never thought of doing that, but it will be on my list so I can put them on my tree. I have the two little miniature poodles and two precious cats that I would love to make ornaments for! And of course, I can go ahead and make them for the two sweeties I still have! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Super Contributor

I also have pictures of all our boxers on the tree. And every year I cry my heart out as I hang them on the tree. Wish they were all there with us, although they are in our hearts.

Esteemed Contributor

They have their own stockings hanging on the mantle and receive a gift from Santa. The best part of having a pet is they are always ""Home For The Holidays"".

Super Contributor

She has a stocking but doesn't get anything in it. She gets plenty of love and treats every day.