Esteemed Contributor

How do you respond in an emergency situation?

To be frank, I'm sitting here, eating breakfast and watching "Star Trek: Next Generation," where the entire ship has been hit with an emergent situation, as in life threatening. Of course we know the crew, per the script/story line, is going to pull through in fine mettle.

However, this got me thinking about my Dad's side of the family: these folks just do not function well at all in emergency or highly stressful situations. They shut-down and sort of hibernate. I recall many such instances of my dear Aunt, Dad and Grandmother doing just that. On the flip side of the coin, I seem to have inherited a gene from someone that shifts me into a special gear in cases of emergency/high stress, and I generally function very well in these circumstances.

I'm wondering if any of you have that gene that kicks in when it's really needed.

Super Contributor

Re: How do you respond in an emergency situation?

I *think* I react well - I have been in only a couple (car accident; attempted mugging; and a couple others) - I felt like adrenalin kicked in and made me very clear headed...don't know how I would react if I saw someone else being attacked or came upon another person in danger...I have often wondered if/how I would act...

Super Contributor

I just do ""what I gotta do"". I really don't think about it but it's a good question.

I've seen people hand-wringing and over-reacting in RL and I've seen people with calmer heads prevail.

Honored Contributor

Not sure I have "that gene", but I feel confident in my ability to respond in an emergency. I have had to do so not only to try to save my own life while home alone when my 2nd heart attack ensued. I also have been to help others that have been pretty seriously injured during my long hockey career. Did also have had to respond to a couple different serious instances with my wife pertaining to getting her to the ER when she was having serious difficulties.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

in an emergency situation........I'm the gal you want around.....I'm calm, in charge, and get things done.....AFTER it's all over, I'm the gal you don't want around LOL........I get a little shocky...........................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

I spring into action without a thought.....yesterday I looked out my second floor window and saw a person laying next to the gutter and a van. Ran down the stairs sprinted barefoot across the street....thank gawd the woman was okay...she had lost her phone in the gutter ....
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Valued Contributor

Like Cakers I just react and do what I can without thinking about it. After the emergency is over I sometimes have what were you thinking or how did you do that moments. Once the adrenalin subsides I might get shaky or shut down for a bit.

Honored Contributor

I stay calm and take an in charge attitude in an emergency. It's only after the fact that I might get nervous or scared.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Respected Contributor

I think everyone responds differently. Some people just freeze and others have training that kicks in or they just naturally do what needs to be done. I don't think we know how we'd react until we have to.....hopefully, we'll never be in that position.

Honored Contributor

I would and have reacted quickly in family emergencies. We all do.

As far as strangers, I am not sure. I did do something several times that leads me to believe I would help if I possibly could. Once was in a restaurant when a mother was standing in front of revolving doors with her very young child screaming at him/her to walk through the doors. The child was obviously afraid of the doors and was crying and very upset. She kept screaming and pulling on his arm forcefully. I stood up and said loudly "Stop that!!!" She gave me a dirty look, roughly picked the child up and left. I remained worried about what was happening to that little child once she got him/her into her car.

Another time a woman was beating her child inside a car parked below my mom's bedroom window. I opened the window and screamed at her also. She also stopped after giving me a dirty look.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986