Valued Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@SHIRAZ wrote:

Yorkie, I don't think you have to worry about there being a shortage of "little old ladies."  No matter how "young" we may think of ourselves, and no matter how we dress, whether we wear makeup or not, you can be sure those that really are young are seeing us as "old."  Remember when you were a kid and everyone was "old?"  Just be yourself.  Dress and groom to please yourself, and don't worry what labels anyone else might put on you.

Take someone like Jane Fonda...she's in her 70s, she's at least 75 but she has kept herself up and looks fab.

In one way, that's really cool, but she's not what I think of as a LoL. I wonder how her family sees it.

I think when it comes to people we see all the time, be it celebrities or family members and friends, we often don't notice the changes because they happen gradually and we "age" with them.  I think strangers probably have a completely different view of us because they are only seeing us "now."  Also I think young people probably have their own ideas of what old people look like.  They didn't grow up watching "Aunt Bea" so that is not their standard image of what an old woman is supposed to look like.  That doesn't mean they don't think we look old even though WE don't think we look old. 

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Trusted Contributor
I don't think I'm there yet. Although my back is trying to tell me otherwise. Early 60s, into makeup, fashion. No gray hair yet (thanks Mom). Weight is good, I'm thinner than I've ever been. I can get away with some of the younger clothes, I don't mean teeny bopper stuff. Buy clothes here at Q, Ann Taylor, Talbots, JJill, can even wear heels. I think age is a state of mind. I also think times have changed. You know the saying "60 is the new 40".
Respected Contributor
I think I may have just hit that point. A friend of mine called me up last night and asked me if I wanted to help her sell her jewelry at a folk festival in a couple of weeks. In involved camping in a tent with very limited facilities. My initial reaction was sure. After much thought last night I just sent her a message backing out of it. At this point in my life I have no desire to do the things I did in my 20's and teens. I don't want to sleep on the ground......does that make me an old lady?

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

This is what I think of when I say LoL:  this pic from the other thread...........the one on the LEFT, that is!  Smiley Very Happy

6a00e55180ed5c88340115701b45db970b-pi.jpg

Valued Contributor

Foe fun I just did and image search on "little old lady."  What came up were pictures of old ladies in dresses, proving that your image is still the going stereotype for that term.  Personally I tend to think of old ladies in polyester pull-on pants.  I think for generations of women who wore dresses their entire lives, it was natural to keep dressing that way to the end.  Most of us do not wear dresses regularly, and if we haven't done so for many years, we're not to wake up one day when we're 80 or so and decide to start wearing dresses everyday!

thRJRAJAVX.jpg

Plus the lady in the ketchup ad is wearing a HAT too!  How quaint!

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Trusted Contributor
When I think old, I think of my grandma, in her 60s, gray hair, very long, up in a French twist, no makeup, glasses, old lady style of dresses, and those horrible black shoes. Now I'm in my early 60s, I think back on that. But that was back in the 60/70s era, and times have changed.😃
Honored Contributor

My cousin is 89 years old. She has always been petite and thin. She lives near us and we take her out to eat at least once a week. She commonly will wear denim capris or a maxi skirt and a tank top or a nice t shirt type top, and a pretty scarf or jewelry. She always carries a designer cross body bag and wears a pair of strappy flat sandals to show off her pedi. She has naturally curly hair that she is happy to now be able to wear in it's curly state. She washes it, puts mousse on it, fluffs it and lets it dry. I would kill for her hair - it is salt & pepper. Always wears MU. She gets very upset when anyone says she is elderly, she said that term is for people over 100.

Respected Contributor

This ole broad will NEVER shift into that gear!

Respected Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

How do you know when it's time to shift gears into "little old lady" mode? Is it something you do deliberately, or is it something you accidentally become?

@YorkieonmyPillow,  If I plan on living to be 110 or 115 years of age and in sound mind and body....I guess I should at least act like I am old around the age of 100.   Would hate to make the 85-90 years old folks feel bad.  

Sexy & age is how you act, feel, think, and the energy within.

Honored Contributor

amaivy,

Congratulations on making it through!

Sounds like our styles are very similar.  I've never been interested in for ruffles, sequins, or the current in look.  I then to wear classic, tailored styles and accessorize with a few interesting things I've picked up in my travels.  I'd rather have one really good piece than three very nice pieces.  Sort of the Hepburn with a bit of Annie Hall - without their beauty.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras