Honored Contributor

How do you get those little extras, like the musical notes to show up?

Just curious...can anyone do it or do you have to have something in your computer to do it? Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: How do you get those little extras, like the musical notes to show up?

@qualitygal

When using my iPad or iPhone, there is an additional keyboard available (through an app) that has these characters. 🎶

However, I'm amazed that they show up now between different devices.  Maybe someone will know if this is possible to add to a laptop? @dooBdoo

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal

Are you using an iPhone (or iPad) or a laptop?

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LTT1 wrote:

@qualitygal

When using my iPad or iPhone, there is an additional keyboard available (through an app) that has these characters. 🎶

However, I'm amazed that they show up now between different devices.  Maybe someone will know if this is possible to add to a laptop? @dooBdoo

@qualitygal & @LTT1

I am on a MacBook Pro laptop.  I go to System Preferences then Keyboard.  Under the Keyboard tab, check the box to Show Keyboard, Emoji & System Viewer in Menu Bar.  

😎

Honored Contributor

I don't think that PC computers have that.

A lot of people here download emoticon programs that youi can find online.   The problem with some (many) of these is that they carry spyware and sometimes malware, so I'd be careful with the ones that are a download.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal@dooBdoo@NickNack@GATORGIRL@Ane1Care

HAHA LOL I realized after reading your posts, that I installed two apps for emoji, but really my on-screen keyboard already had the emoji capability, as @dooBdoo explained. Great, easy-to-follow explanation @dooBdoo@and thanks!

@qualitygal

here is some additional information if it helps.

@chickenbutt@GATORGIRL

I started with the bottom app then added the top one. The bottom app has thousands of reviews, that doesn't mean it is safe, but my iPhone and iPad have not had any security issues (fingers crossed)

Super Contributor

@chickenbutt

They have them. They're under character map. You may have to search for it using the search function, but it's there. Or, look up ALT codes. Then use your numeric keypad to type in the ALT code, or click on the character you want and it will appear in a box then click copy, then in your text CTRL P, or right click to paste. I pinned my map to my bottom tool bar. That way it's always there. ALT codes are easy to remember if you use one a lot.

Valued Contributor

@LTT1

If I understand correctly, you are using an iPad.  If so, are you using the on-screen keyboard?  There is a smiley icon on my iPad Mini on-screen keyboard that has a nice variety of emojis.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LTT1, Thanks for the notification!  I haven't posted in a while,  so I'm very far behind in all the posts.

As @GATORGIRL, said, Apple devices already have hundreds of native emojis available without needing additional apps.   (They're adding even more when iOS 10 is released!)   On my iMac I simply use the drop-down "Edit" menu on the browser and choose "Emoji & Symbols."   On the iPad and iPhone's onscreen keyboard I just tap the emoji "smiley face" key to the left of the microphone key. 

@qualitygal, if you want to add emojis to your topic line when you start a thread, essentially you want to access those which are available with your other keyboard characters.   It's a bit different from all the images we can add within the text of a post.    If you tell us what kind of device you're using, I'm sure one of us (or more!) can help out.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@LTT1, Thanks for the notification!  I haven't posted in a while,  so I'm very far behind in all the posts.

As @GATORGIRL, said, Apple devices already have hundreds of native emojis available without needing additional apps.   (They're adding even more when iOS 10 is released!)   On my iMac I simply use the drop-down "Edit" menu on the browser and choose "Emoji & Symbols."   On the iPad and iPhone's onscreen keyboard I just tap the emoji "smiley face" key to the left of the microphone key. 

@qualitygal, if you want to add emojis to your topic line when you start a thread, essentially you want to access those which are available with your other keyboard characters.   It's a bit different from all the images we can add within the text of a post.    If you tell us what kind of device you're using, I'm sure one of us (or more!) can help out.

Thanks @dooBdoo!  I knew how to use emjois on my MacBook, but for some reason I didn't figure out that you could use them on these Boards until you posted this!  😊

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau