Respected Contributor

How do you feel about this class action lawsuit?

http://www.alarmtcpaclassaction.com/

I dont know if the link will work but I received something in the mail and decided to check it out online. I am glad to see something is being done about this! 

Why have your cell and/or Home number on the DNC registry and still get these aggravating calls? What are your thoughts? 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How do you feel about this class action lawsuit?

@wvumountiefan - I get anywhere from 5-10 calls a day on my cell phone. I don't answer any of them. They are from my area code and 3 digit exchange.

I sent an email to the FCC, listing all the calls along with a scathing review of the DNC registry and what a joke they are.

For a period of time, calls seemed to stop. I sent another note to the DNC agency and told them I would again contact the FCC and once again the calls subsided.

They are just starting up again. So annoying! If the DNC is a government agency, why are they not doing the job they were set up to handle? I'm sure the people working for this agency is getting paid for doing nothing.

Honored Contributor

my thoughts:

get nomorerobo if you can use it

answering machines and use them

never pick up the phone if you don't know the number

don't engage any caller just for fun,

don't fill out any free offer cards 

The only thing this class action lawsuit will do is keep a lawyer busy

Trusted Contributor

I feel just fine about suing all telemarketers, spammers- harassers right out of business. 

The sooner, the better!

I'm tired of blocking their numbers, only to have them change their numbers the very next week. I get at least 5 per day- many times in the evening hours on my landline. Don't even bother looking at the ID anymore. Just screen all calls through VM. So tired of deleting their annoying messages or the loud robocall buzz from VM, too. Enough already. 

Trusted Contributor

The DNC list worked for the legitimate companies who used to do telemarketing!  The ones I get now are are all from scammers and most of those are located in foreign countries.

Esteemed Contributor

This looks like a local news issue that really won't effect many people.

When DNC listings went from state wide to national, the calls started coming in from around the globe instead, and were untouched by those laws. Also, many calls that are annoying are perfectly legitimate and legal. I've seen a lot of posts complaining about unwanted, but legal calls.

There are people who make their living by telemarketing, which is legal. You're not obligated to answer their calls or engage them in conversations. Likewise, many volunteers make legal phone calls for charities or political candidates.

Honored Contributor

@riley1wrote:

@wvumountiefan - I get anywhere from 5-10 calls a day on my cell phone. I don't answer any of them. They are from my area code and 3 digit exchange.

I sent an email to the FCC, listing all the calls along with a scathing review of the DNC registry and what a joke they are.

For a period of time, calls seemed to stop. I sent another note to the DNC agency and told them I would again contact the FCC and once again the calls subsided.

They are just starting up again. So annoying! If the DNC is a government agency, why are they not doing the job they were set up to handle? I'm sure the people working for this agency is getting paid for doing nothing.

Hey, @riley1,

I feel most gov agencies are in the same situation.  Hope I don’t get bleeped.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythewrote:

@riley1wrote:

Hey, @riley1,

I feel most gov agencies are in the same situation.  Hope I don’t get bleeped.

@Drythe@riley1, I would not put the blame on government workers. Hope I don't get bleeped. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

It's annoying. And if you are a charity, you certainly are not getting a donation from me calling 9:30 at night.

Honored Contributor

@riley1wrote:

Shoekitty said,

probably because they are not getting the funding they did.  lol. Also, last Fall a law that was in place for the previous 8 years , forbiding internet  use of private info was not reenstated.  This government said it kept business from expanding by prohibiting their advertising to us.  That is why the increase of email, and increase of calls.  They take the info from internet, and make use of phoning us. So all the places we shop and visit can freely use our info, and sell it to others. You would have to sign a privacy notice with every company in the world, and that wouldnt help because if you look at the disclosures on some companies, they have the right to sell our info to some companies.   I have never gotten so many calls in my life.  I bought call blocker.  The Do Not Call registry is a joke.  I sent letter after letter to them, to no avail.  Now calls are coming to my cell phone.  I never got calls on my cell before.  Now 3-4 a day at least  Some leave robo voice mail.  DNC does nothing.  I spent 30 minutes of my time  every darn night reporting the numbers to DNC. For what?..  Does not work anymore.  Mainly because calls are coming in out of the country, and from cell phones that call out, but do not accept calls. Or, they drop their cell numbers everyday

what really angers me, it could stop.  But the government will not force our phone companies to stop giving out thousands of new numbers a day to telemarketers, or giving them multiple extensions for calls.  Have you ever got three calls in a row from a different number with same number, except last few digits?  You block them, then in a week they call from new set of numbers.

i think we need a consumer group that is rabid about telemarketing.  The phone companies need to be dealt with, until we have change.  But they wont do it.  This is the bulk of their income!!!  Imagine ll the telemarketing, robo calls that go out in a day!!  They pay the phone company for those.  Some do it legally, others illegally.