Super Contributor

How do you feel about no turn around signs for driveway?

Our driveway is often used as a turn-around. Been that way for years. Hubby is a neat-freak with the yard and gets ticked when people turn around in our driveway, as they sometimes drive over the yard, and if it is muddy (which often is here, ots of rain), of course it leaves 'ugly' tire tracks in the yard. So, I can see his point to an extent. 

He does not want to do decorative rocks or anything. Thinking about a no turn around sign. 

Really it does not bother me that people turn around in the driveway, but if they are leaving tire marks in the grass, that is not cool.

There is a lady who picks her son up after the school bus drops him off and she turns around in our driveway every day. This irks me a bit because there is an intersection roughly 50 yards away where a lot of other kids get dropped off, and several parents wait at the intersection and it is easy to make a loop in the intersection to turn around. Getting this kid dropped off by our house, I do not understand, because she obviously has to drive back to her house (large neighborhood). I do not understand why she can't wait at the intersection with the other parents, but..that is none of my business. But where she parks her vehicle and waits some 15 minutes or so, it is at an awkward spot and makes it a bit difficult for others to turn in and out of the public street. But she sits there, parked, for 15 minutes or so, every day. But that is none of my business, just venting, I guess. 

So, I guess in short, yes, now I kind of would like people to stop using our driveway as a turn around. Does that make me terrible..? 

What are your thoughts on no turn around signs..? Is it an annoying inconvenience, or is the property owner right in posting one..? I dislike maybe making neighbors annoyed, but.. I am now seeing the hubby's side of it.. and not just the lady with the school bus every day.. that is kind of the proverbial straw, I guess..

Honored Contributor

Re: How do you feel about no turn around signs for driveway?

Well it's not going to stop anyone and it's not like you can ticket them for not heeding the sign. I wouldn't even bother. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

Our neighbor across the street always turns around in our driveway. Doesn't bother us at all.

Respected Contributor

If people are pulling in and backing out then i doubt the sign would make sense to anyone.  I think you should place some kind of landscaping, railroad tie or what my friend did--she placed a couple of large rocks at the end of the driveway.  That kept people from hitting the grass.  And try not to be annoyed by the lady waiting for her child, the street is public.  

Respected Contributor

@msh8970   I think the people that would probably respect the sign are the ones that don't turn around in the driveway.  People like the woman you mentioned, will probably ignore it. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

Why don't you set s table and chair by the driveway and put up a toll sign...1.00 per turn or 5 for 4.

Super Contributor

@dex wrote:

Why don't you set s table and chair by the driveway and put up a toll sign...1.00 per turn or 5 for 4.

LOL Smiley Very Happy Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Slightly O/T: Our previous house was on a quiet street on which you would not expect many turnarounds.

But about a year after we had moved, a neighbor across the street did use our driveway for that purpose. Unfortunately, he should not have been driving, we later discovered. He mistook the gas pedal for the brake and plowed into our house at the corner where our den and garage met. I say den because we had contemplated using that room for our then-three-year-old but decided against. Good thing, as she was napping in her room at the time.

After that, if we ever saw anyone even thinking about it, we gave them the stinky eye. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I've never seen a sign like that 

Maybe something to block the driveway would be better.  

Honored Contributor

My neighbor at my old house would call me anytime anyone parked in front of my house as if we owned the public street. I'd tell her it was fine and I didn't care if anyone parked there. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval