Honored Contributor

Re: How do you feel about no turn around signs for driveway?

[ Edited ]

@StraytoStay wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Pook wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@msh8970 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I think to post such a sign is being very petty. 

Really..?

So I guess then it is not petty to have ruts in our yard from people using our driveway to turn around..? Or some careless driver to cause a potential accident by doing this...?

It is a tricky area to pull out of, let alone back out of, not looking or paying attention. Being on a cell phone and not looking, backing up like a bat out of hell. I would venture a bet that it is a matter of time that she gets hit. I would rather it not be on my property, thank you. 

Her turning around in your driveway and potentially having an accident because she's in a blind spot is not your problem.  It's her car, her judgement, her problem.

Putting a sign up is, in my opinion, a waste of time and money.

If it's so annoying, either put something across the end of the driveway to stop her or go stand there and block the end of the driveway every afternoon when school is being let out.

It most certainly could be her problem if the car is mostly on her property when hit!!  It could end up being her homeowner's insurance is made to pay for this selfish trespasser!!!! 

Since when does the LIABILITY portion of HOMEOWNERS insurance cover AUTOMOBILE accidents?

That would be like traveling through a parking lot of a store, someone backs out of a space and broadsides the car traveling down the lane...

You're going to sue the lot owner for the damages because you were on their property?  It doesn't work that way...

I used to work in auto insurance and if something happened to a car in a driveway, the homeowners insurance covers it. However, if they are driving and partway on the road I would assume the auto insurance would. I can't say for certain on a hypothetical wreck.

A parked car in a driveway.....my kid walks over to the neighbor and whacks the cr*p out of their car with a baseball bat, yes MY homeowners insurance would cover that.  My tree falls on a neighbors car and crushes it , yes.

Someone, in their running vehicle,  using the end of my driveway to turn their car around, which may be in a blind spot and gets the rear end of their car ripped off by a passing vehicle - not my homeowners insurance.....

Esteemed Contributor

"Private Drive" signs are what people use around here.

Super Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@StraytoStay wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Pook wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@msh8970 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I think to post such a sign is being very petty. 

Really..?

So I guess then it is not petty to have ruts in our yard from people using our driveway to turn around..? Or some careless driver to cause a potential accident by doing this...?

It is a tricky area to pull out of, let alone back out of, not looking or paying attention. Being on a cell phone and not looking, backing up like a bat out of hell. I would venture a bet that it is a matter of time that she gets hit. I would rather it not be on my property, thank you. 

Her turning around in your driveway and potentially having an accident because she's in a blind spot is not your problem.  It's her car, her judgement, her problem.

Putting a sign up is, in my opinion, a waste of time and money.

If it's so annoying, either put something across the end of the driveway to stop her or go stand there and block the end of the driveway every afternoon when school is being let out.

It most certainly could be her problem if the car is mostly on her property when hit!!  It could end up being her homeowner's insurance is made to pay for this selfish trespasser!!!! 

Since when does the LIABILITY portion of HOMEOWNERS insurance cover AUTOMOBILE accidents?

That would be like traveling through a parking lot of a store, someone backs out of a space and broadsides the car traveling down the lane...

You're going to sue the lot owner for the damages because you were on their property?  It doesn't work that way...

I used to work in auto insurance and if something happened to a car in a driveway, the homeowners insurance covers it. However, if they are driving and partway on the road I would assume the auto insurance would. I can't say for certain on a hypothetical wreck.

A parked car in a driveway.....my kid walks over to the neighbor and whacks the cr*p out of their car with a baseball bat, yes MY homeowners insurance would cover that.  My tree falls on a neighbors car and crushes it , yes.

Someone, in their running vehicle,  using the end of my driveway to turn their car around, which may be in a blind spot and gets the rear end of their car ripped off by a passing vehicle - not my homeowners insurance.....

Maybe so..maybe not.. Like I said before, not something I want to find out about., I feel like this is one of those things that are 'grey areas' and people like to sue these days any way they can, whether what happened was their own fault or their own choice or whatnot. Like I said, not interested in finding out. Yes, it could or could not happen. I am guessing the way she drives, she does not care and something is always going to be someone else's fault. Wouldnot surprise me if she has no insurance, or extremely limited. Maybe I am old and getitng jaded.. *shrug* But I have seen instances where people thought their insurance would or would not cover something, and it does, or does not. 

Bottom line, she should not be doing this. Our driveway is not public property. 

It is raining today and I made a deliberate show of flipping our living room drapes wide open.. REALLY wide open, as soon as her kid got in her car. Lo and behold, she did a 3point turn around on the actual road. Maybe she is getting the hint!!! 

Still I think I am going to get the sign. I know it looks tacky and unsightly or whatever, but no more unsightly than ruts in the yard. I agree a lot of people would not bother to read the sign, but guess what..? If something happens, having the the sign will be better than decorative stones. Not my fault if people ignore the sign. Not my fault if they choose to use my driveway and cause damage. We actually had our entire mailbox post hit one time. Guess what..? No knock on the door confessing, no note or anything left.  Yeah, replacing the mailbox post was fun... People fly on this street and it is 25PMH. People truly do not care. A police man lives in a house at the intersection, and people fly through the stop sign at that intersection, even when he stops at his house and has parked the cop car at that intersection for his lunch break. Unbelievable, and yet sadly, not surprising in this day and age....

So..... true, most people will not read the sign, but it can cover any possible liability situations. I would love to get a gate of sorts, but the hubby won't do decorative stones, he won't do a gate or that sort of thing.. so I guess it is on him to repair the yard time and time again.. 

Honored Contributor

You know how people post here about the "get off my lawn" set. This thread is full of actual examples of it. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Maybe you could put up two black wrought iron post on either side of your drive  and then hang a thick black chain from end to end.  Or use white if that matches your home more.

It would be a pain to have to hook and unhook for yourself and your guests, but it's doable.

I'd hate to see a sign in my own yard--unless you had someone hand paint a nice one.

I don't think anyone would pay too much attention to a sign, they'd just try to be quick.

I don't know how a camera would help unless it was clear whoever did the damage and also the lic. plate.

It's awful to have to go through something like this.  Some people just don't care about their homes, their yard and it shows by how they treat others' property.

Oh I think people should absolutely do that, if it bothers them so much. By all means, get out and unhook and rehook that chain every time you leave your house, just to stop someone from turning around in the drive. Nothing like cut off your nose to spite your face. It is the perfect solution though. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Yes i would pull up in your driveway just enough to turnaround if I was lost or had gone to far.    I would be careful and not run over landscaping.  Where i live a three point landing or whatever it is called is unrealistic because there is street parking.  I never heard of this issue until my friend became concerned by it. As i said earlier they placed large rocks, almost a small bolder on one side and railroad ties on the other.  They live on a private pipe stem and people frequently turn in because they think the address they are looking for is on it.  It is a straight narrow stem, no three point landing.  Really no harm was ever done.  She doesnt even let the trash truck come up the stem.  She has finally decided not to worry over it.  But i guess you would put me on camera and what???

Honored Contributor

I understand where you husband is coming from.  When you put a lot of time, money and sweat into a beautiful yard, it is annoying to have someone mess it up.

I have the same problem with my townhouse.  People park in my parking spot and walk on my lawn, trampling my flowers and knocking my hanging pots off the hanger and leaving them there.  They also let the kids leave their bikes in my parking spot and I almost drove over them in the dark.

Saying something, nice or otherwise, does nothing and opens you up to retaliation.  There are people who don't believe in boundaries and feel they are entitled do anything they want regardless of rules or common courtesy.

Biting your tongue is all you can do.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

I just watched an episode on the ID channel about this situation....the outcome wasn't pretty...

Trusted Contributor

Well these remakrs made me change my mind in your first post you never stated it was hard getting out of your driveway and there are curves..........I just pictured in my head a row of  homes and a long street............now I see that you have a hard time getting ut of your driveway and there are things that does not allow the person to see good as they are backing up..........that changes my answer NO I would not want them turning around in my driveway if there is not a good visable road site.............

Trusted Contributor

In my driving lifetime I have used someone's drive to turn around and go the other way being lost but I did not tear up their yard or driveway and I do not go back daily............usually it is a one time thing as when I find my way I do not get lost again.