Honored Contributor

Re: How do you feel about no turn around signs for driveway?

@Pook wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@msh8970 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I think to post such a sign is being very petty. 

Really..?

So I guess then it is not petty to have ruts in our yard from people using our driveway to turn around..? Or some careless driver to cause a potential accident by doing this...?

It is a tricky area to pull out of, let alone back out of, not looking or paying attention. Being on a cell phone and not looking, backing up like a bat out of hell. I would venture a bet that it is a matter of time that she gets hit. I would rather it not be on my property, thank you. 

Her turning around in your driveway and potentially having an accident because she's in a blind spot is not your problem.  It's her car, her judgement, her problem.

Putting a sign up is, in my opinion, a waste of time and money.

If it's so annoying, either put something across the end of the driveway to stop her or go stand there and block the end of the driveway every afternoon when school is being let out.

It most certainly could be her problem if the car is mostly on her property when hit!!  It could end up being her homeowner's insurance is made to pay for this selfish trespasser!!!! 

Since when does the LIABILITY portion of HOMEOWNERS insurance cover AUTOMOBILE accidents?

That would be like traveling through a parking lot of a store, someone backs out of a space and broadsides the car traveling down the lane...

You're going to sue the lot owner for the damages because you were on their property?  It doesn't work that way...

Honored Contributor

Leave your car parked to block it there. They should get the idea. It is private property, and it bothers you. 

Respected Contributor

I do not think I would do a sign. But, if the woman is out there every school day -  it is most definitely going to rain at some point. When she runs over the grass and leaves ruts - I would  go out there the next day and point that out to her and ask her to be more careful to not do so. Of course, even though you want to say "hey lady - stay off my freakin grass", I am sure you can put it in other words of some sort. 

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

My suggestion would be for your DH to get in his car, roll it down to the end of the driveway at the time of day she uses your driveway-- to block her from turning around.

There is a small town nearby.   The only high school is in a neighborhood   All the neighbors in the area have placed big stones along the edge of their property at the road to discourage people from parking there during football games.  If people just parked, it would be OK, but they run over mailboxes, tear up landscaping, etc   And these homes are valued at a minimum of $500,000.

Your DH is going to have to decide what irritates him more-- the big stones or someone using the driveway

Your driveway is your personal property, you have to pay the taxes on it, you have to maintain it.   Or you could charge for parking!!

@msh8970

Respected Contributor

I see many pages on this post.

I would say "no sign" because half of America can't read...meaning, you can have the sign in their face and they'll still no read it.

If the problem is definitely this woman, address it with this woman, approach her and let her know what she is doing to your grass and kindly ask her to turn around elsewhere.  I would just bet she doesn't even know what she is doing.

For a couple weeks, I would park your car at the entrance of your driveway if possible, that will allow whomever is using your property to make other arrangements and literally go somewhere else.  It's like "training" people to go elsewhere.

Honored Contributor

I do it, and  I am sure many on here do it. (but won't admit it, just like picking a flower) No, I don't do it repeatedly (at the same place). But if I need too, I will.

Esteemed Contributor

@missy1, it's not the occasional driveway use that is the issue here.  It is the damage caused to paved driveways and landscape that the homeowner must bear the cost of repairing.  It cost many thousand dollars to pave my circular driveway.  It is a mess now because of industrial sized vehicles turning around in it.

I have pretty much solved my problem with the use of pylon(s).  There was a large tow truck backing up our road recently.  I had the pylon out.  He stopped when he saw me and told me he was looking for a wide driveway to turn around it.  He seemed shocked when I told he should back up to the next street to turnaround.  I showed him my driveway damage which surprised him.  I also told him most homes now have cameras so they can identify vehicles.  He did go to the next street.  

Occasional driveway use is no problem.  Physical damage to homeowners' property is.   LM

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom wrote:

@missy1, it's not the occasional driveway use that is the issue here.  It is the damage caused to paved driveways and landscape that the homeowner must bear the cost of repairing.  It cost many thousand dollars to pave my circular driveway.  It is a mess now because of industrial sized vehicles turning around in it.

I have pretty much solved my problem with the use of pylon(s).  There was a large tow truck backing up our road recently.  I had the pylon out.  He stopped when he saw me and told me he was looking for a wide driveway to turn around it.  He seemed shocked when I told he should back up to the next street to turnaround.  I showed him my driveway damage which surprised him.  I also told him most homes now have cameras so they can identify vehicles.  He did go to the next street.  

Occasional driveway use is no problem.  Physical damage to homeowners' property is.   LM

See, this is our issue, exactly. We have a nice large driveway. Not for random people to use. IT IS OUR PROPERTY. Again, I do not mind a very rare turnaround if someone is lost, provided they are careful about not tearing stuff up. 

Just a couple weeks ago, we had a plumber here with his big old van. Our driveway is HUGE, and he still drove over a part of our grass that is far from the driveway. How he did that, I do not know!!  But it looked like a drunk person did it. He just shrugged it off sheepishly and said 'sorry I backed over your yard a bit' (a 'bit'..??!!) .. Thank god it did not rain that day, or it would have left nasty ruts. As it is, it still left ugly tire tracks. 

But it is this whole 'no big deal' time and time again that gets old. How would these people feel if random people did this to their yards..?  

I can shrug off some minor tire tracks but when stuff starts getting dug up and leaving marks that last more than a day or two, well I feel like these people should start being held responsible.. or better yet, do not use someone's driveway. If you do, and you do damage, be an adult and offer to pay to have it fixed. 

There is no reason espeically when there is a huge intersection almost the size of a football field a couple houses away.......THAT is public, and no worries about tearing up someone's yard..BECAUSE YOU ARE TOO LAZY TO DRIVE A FEW MORE YARDS.......!!!!! 

I dislike the entire notion, but maybe the sign and a camera might bne needed. This has happened one too many times now..

As for the lady, there has been more than once that there are ruts near the edge of our driveway, and hubby noticed the day after she turned around. Can't prove that it was her, but chances are pretty good, that it was. Did not notice or see anyone else those days turning around. But again, not having actually seen her do it, can't say 100% for sure.

I get that it might seem mean to some folks to hold people responsible, but if you think about it.. not really!! 

I could see if there literally was no where else to turn around, but as I have said time and again, there is no excuse when there is a VERY LARGE intersection that MOST PEOPLE use to turn around.....

What sucks is I feel like I am going to be seen as the witch by some neighbors, when other people brought this on themselves... as the saying goes, a few ruin it for all the rest.....

Honored Contributor

Maybe you could put up two black wrought iron post on either side of your drive  and then hang a thick black chain from end to end.  Or use white if that matches your home more.

It would be a pain to have to hook and unhook for yourself and your guests, but it's doable.

I'd hate to see a sign in my own yard--unless you had someone hand paint a nice one.

I don't think anyone would pay too much attention to a sign, they'd just try to be quick.

I don't know how a camera would help unless it was clear whoever did the damage and also the lic. plate.

It's awful to have to go through something like this.  Some people just don't care about their homes, their yard and it shows by how they treat others' property.

Trusted Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Pook wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@msh8970 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I think to post such a sign is being very petty. 

Really..?

So I guess then it is not petty to have ruts in our yard from people using our driveway to turn around..? Or some careless driver to cause a potential accident by doing this...?

It is a tricky area to pull out of, let alone back out of, not looking or paying attention. Being on a cell phone and not looking, backing up like a bat out of hell. I would venture a bet that it is a matter of time that she gets hit. I would rather it not be on my property, thank you. 

Her turning around in your driveway and potentially having an accident because she's in a blind spot is not your problem.  It's her car, her judgement, her problem.

Putting a sign up is, in my opinion, a waste of time and money.

If it's so annoying, either put something across the end of the driveway to stop her or go stand there and block the end of the driveway every afternoon when school is being let out.

It most certainly could be her problem if the car is mostly on her property when hit!!  It could end up being her homeowner's insurance is made to pay for this selfish trespasser!!!! 

Since when does the LIABILITY portion of HOMEOWNERS insurance cover AUTOMOBILE accidents?

That would be like traveling through a parking lot of a store, someone backs out of a space and broadsides the car traveling down the lane...

You're going to sue the lot owner for the damages because you were on their property?  It doesn't work that way...

I used to work in auto insurance and if something happened to a car in a driveway, the homeowners insurance covers it. However, if they are driving and partway on the road I would assume the auto insurance would. I can't say for certain on a hypothetical wreck.