Trusted Contributor

Re: How do you feel about no turn around signs for driveway?

Cough, lol how funny as she asked what we feel about NO turn around and I think its silly to be so upset over someone turning around in their driveway............now again if they mess up the yard I would not like that but turning around in a driveway..........it silly to me.

Respected Contributor

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

Cough, lol how funny as she asked what we feel about NO turn around and I think its silly to be so upset over someone turning around in their driveway............now again if they mess up the yard I would not like that but turning around in a driveway..........it silly to me.

Deja vu.  

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

It is your property, you paid for it, pay taxes and maintain it.  No one has the right to use your driveway as a public street.  I would not be upset if it happened once in a while and no damage was done, but when your lawn gets torn up and people use it every day that is crossing the line.

I often see signs on private residential  property and on business parking lots that tell you " no turning in driveway". The signs are available from Amazon.

You can try posting a sign and see if it works. You might have to place a barrier at the end of the driveway for a week or two, so people have to stop, look and notice your sign.

Good luck.

Exactly!!

This is excellent advice, thank you. I will borrow some cones from hubby's buddy for a week or so. And check amazon, Lowes, etc, for the no trespassing sign (thanks to those for that suggestion, as well..versus the no turnaround sign...). If it is at the very corner of the driveway, they will have to be blind to not see it, unless of course they are busy on their cell phone or something... 

But yes, as someone said, I wonder if God forbid, she did get hit backing out of our driveway, if our home owner's insurance would be hit up. I suppose it is possible, and just a chance I do not want to take. Given how she seems to not pay attention (yes in the few seconds I see her driving each day) and that she does this every day, I just do not want to take that chance. It would be one thing if visibility when pulling out of our drivway was excellent and there was no curve right before our house, and people did not fly on our road..*sigh* ..I get tired just thinking about it, come to think of it.. lol..  but when you pull out of our driveway, you have to really pay attention, not be on your cell phone, not paying attention, and peeling out like a bat out of hell... backing up, which she does, is of course, visibility is even trickier.. 

As far as any possible accidents, well, the no trespassing sign will be there.. 

Honored Contributor

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

Do you OWN a house with a driveway? Do you maintain a lawn, by mowing, trimming and applying fertilizer only to have someone drive over it and cause damage?

How would you feel if the same people did this almost everyday?  Not people who are lost or made a wrong turn, but people who use your driveway as a public street.

I don't understand why it is silly to expect drivers to stay on the road and off of your private property.  I find people who trespass on other's property to be entitled and rude. 

If it is not your property and you don't have permission from the owner, then you have no business driving on their driveway.  This is basic good manners.

Respected Contributor

I actually found the turnarounds so bothersome that I didn't futz with any of the niceties like signs. I had the driveway moved so it was further down the street, and had the liberated area planted with shrubs and small trees, which have grown in. By the time anyone sees my driveway, they're pretty much past it. Around the bend there's a proper street with many opportunities for turnarounds that won't inconvenience anyone.

My driveway connects to a large paved area, so this was possible; it wouldn't be if you just had a strip of asphalt or concrete.  The old driveway was also very wide and so to some people I'm sure it looked like another street. Moving it restored some of my privacy and peace of mind. There are still a few turnarounds, but they're not right in front of my door.

Super Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

Do you OWN a house with a driveway? Do you maintain a lawn, by mowing, trimming and applying fertilizer only to have someone drive over it and cause damage?

How would you feel if the same people did this almost everyday?  Not people who are lost or made a wrong turn, but people who use your driveway as a public street.

I don't understand why it is silly to expect drivers to stay on the road and off of your private property.  I find people who trespass on other's property to be entitled and rude. 

If it is not your property and you don't have permission from the owner, then you have no business driving on their driveway.  This is basic good manners.

BRAVO!! Excellent post.. and exactly what I have been saying.. 

I do not mind of somone is lost or forgot something at their house and wants to turn around, whatever.. but even so, do not tear up someone's yard when doing so. 

This woman I feel is an accident waiting to happen...... I just hope if when it does, she does not have the kid in the car with her. 

Honored Contributor

@msh8970 wrote:

Our driveway is often used as a turn-around. Been that way for years. Hubby is a neat-freak with the yard and gets ticked when people turn around in our driveway, as they sometimes drive over the yard, and if it is muddy (which often is here, lots of rain), of course it leaves 'ugly' tire tracks in the yard. So, I can see his point to an extent. 

--------------

I even went back to reread the first paragraph --  while I understand he cares about the appearance of his yard, I just don't see the big deal with cars turning around in a driveway.  Like OP even suggested, some decorative stones might take care of the situation.  A sign would be far uglier.

Super Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

I actually found the turnarounds so bothersome that I didn't futz with any of the niceties like signs. I had the driveway moved so it was further down the street, and had the liberated area planted with shrubs and small trees, which have grown in. By the time anyone sees my driveway, they're pretty much past it. Around the bend there's a proper street with many opportunities for turnarounds that won't inconvenience anyone.

My driveway connects to a large paved area, so this was possible; it wouldn't be if you just had a strip of asphalt or concrete.  The old driveway was also very wide and so to some people I'm sure it looked like another street. Moving it restored some of my privacy and peace of mind. There are still a few turnarounds, but they're not right in front of my door.

Lucky you. I wish we could do that with ours. I would do it in a heartbeat. 

Maybe some day soon I will tell the lady that there is an actual school bus stop a mere 50 yeard (less) from where she parks her car every day, and plenty of room to turn around at said intersection; many parents do it every single day..for years. And as for those saying she is fine to park in a public street, yes, but she is blocking actual normal traffic flow.  

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

What she said!

Super Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@msh8970 wrote:

Our driveway is often used as a turn-around. Been that way for years. Hubby is a neat-freak with the yard and gets ticked when people turn around in our driveway, as they sometimes drive over the yard, and if it is muddy (which often is here, lots of rain), of course it leaves 'ugly' tire tracks in the yard. So, I can see his point to an extent. 

--------------

I even went back to reread the first paragraph --  while I understand he cares about the appearance of his yard, I just don't see the big deal with cars turning around in a driveway.  Like OP even suggested, some decorative stones might take care of the situation.  A sign would be far uglier.

Umm.. you are reading things all wrong, lol... 

I said husband does not want decorative stones.  

And I explained *why* we are tired of people turning around in our driveway. Making yard repairs is not fun, time and again. 

Let me guess, someone will tell me we should move, my guess is that will be the next suggestion.... *eyeroll*  

People should not have to take drastic measures to keep people off their property--particularly if the trespasser(s) are messing up your yard.