Esteemed Contributor

Re: How do you feel about leaf blowers?

@software, what is the brand of your blower?  Can you post a photo and advise where you got it?  TIA.  LM

Super Contributor

I am with you !  I'd rather listen to the birds sing and watch the leaves fall.

Something about raking leaves is a nice feeling too rather than that

old noisy blower.

@SilleeMee wrote:

The leaves are falling once again and the leaf blowers are out in full force. I don't like them for many reasons. The dust they create is dangerous to our health! The blowers stir up things like bird and rodent droppings, mold, bacteria...and other gross things like pesticides and herbicidesSmiley Tongue. The noise is another thing!

I don't go outside if any of my neighbors are using their blowers. Wish these leaf blowers become banned one day.

Honored Contributor

Yet another contributer to modern day noise pollution. They're a given these days but I dislike them a lot.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

Where I live, the users/maintanance men tke the mufflers off to sound more authoriative.  Imagine that!  There was a movement to force them to use the mufflers but they screamed out about that.  Most of the users are the maintenance men - and most all are illegal aliens.  In the past when leaves were picked up, it was by men and women raking, children or teens wanting to make a few dollars.  Things have just gone to the dogs now. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

We have a ton of trees in our yard and while we do have a lawn service do our yard once a week, me or my husband use the leaf blower in the fall during the in between times. We have to keep up on it or it gets to be too much. It would take us a lot longer without one. I can't imagine there is a huge difference health wise. I do have allergies also and haven't noticed any difference between raking and using the blower. If anything I am not as close to the leaves when blowing vs raking.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I have large trees, both evergreen and deciduous, and there are many squirrels and birds that live in them. I see their poo on the ground. My background knowledge of biohazard material has made me aware of what may be found in the poo. If I have to remove leaves and other fallen vegetation, I take the garden hose and lightly wet down the yard before raking or sweeping so that the dust is not flying around. 

A friend of mine got a severe lung infection from bird droppings on her car. She parked it under a tree where there were pigeons. She washed her car by hand often and might have gotten infected that way...who knows. She had to be hospitalized for several weeks.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have an EGO battery operated leaf blower for the back yard,not that noisey and does a great job, as I blow the leaves in piles for my husband and he gets them all up with the bagger attachment on his yard tractor-  we have an acre and half and get tons of leaves, he mulches them and puts them in the woods or in spots that are bare or bags them up for our g'man.

I'd much rather hear leaf blowers than horrible thump thump music at 1 in the morning or loud mufflers on cars or those stupid street bikes..

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Your apparent 'concerns' about damage from a leaf blower.....leaves me speechless!  Rake an acres with a rake and you might change your opinion.

I moved in August.  My last home was in the middle of a forest (3.5 acres).  The trash companies did not take bagged yard waste so when you live in the country it's either rake onto a tarp and then go fling into the woods or use leaf blower - everyone used leaf blowers!

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I have large trees, both evergreen and deciduous, and there are many squirrels and birds that live in them. I see their poo on the ground. My background knowledge of biohazard material has made me aware of what may be found in the poo. If I have to remove leaves and other fallen vegetation, I take the garden hose and lightly wet down the yard before raking or sweeping so that the dust is not flying around. 

A friend of mine got a severe lung infection from bird droppings on her car. She parked it under a tree where there were pigeons. She washed her car by hand often and might have gotten infected that way...who knows. She had to be hospitalized for several weeks.

@SilleeMee

I watch a show on Animal Planet called "Monsters Inside Me".

Seems like every time I watch, someone has a parasite caused by

flying ickies in the air!  You are sososososo smart for watering

your leaves down.  🌬🍃🌬🍃

Respected Contributor

In our city gas blowers are banned. we can no longer hose leaves as we are in a drought, but we can sweep and use electric blowers