Respected Contributor

Re: How do you feel about leaf blowers?

We hire someone to do it so not a bother to us at all.  

Honored Contributor

how do i feel?......they are a godsend when you have lots of mature trees and an acre of land that needs to be taken care of......

we have good neighbors in general. no one works on their lawns with noisy machines before 9am or after 9pm.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Occasional Contributor

We live in a farm community, the sound of large farm equipment, makes a leaf blower sound like a mosquito. I love the smell of grain dust, so that's not a factor either.   Love our leaf blower.  Anything to make my life easier.  

Honored Contributor

DH has a leaf blower and uses it to blow leaves in fall.  Our town provides borough pickup of leaves blown to the edge of the road through late fall.  He also uses it to blow light snow from the driveway.  DH has serious health concerns so is thankful for leaf blower.  It works great for us.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

Nothing against the blower itself, but we have a local gardener who blows some of the soil, dirt, lawn trimmings all over the street.  Drives us walkers crazy.  He's the only one, though.  The other gardeners sweep their piles into the customer's recycling bins, or into their trucks. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee

Banned? Isn't that a bit steep?  We have over a couple hundred trees, thus lots of leafs. Most of these leafs drop or blow onto our yard, and some on the roof. I change our mover to "mulch", and with a zero turn mower with the engine behind the seat?

Those things you mentioned "in the air dust"? They pretty much have me mowing in a dust storm, driving right in it or through it, depending on the wind direction. I protect myself as best I can, as I have had a health issue or 2.

I wear a face mask filter and a tight fitting pair of goggles. Our neighbors are not close enough to be effected by my "gone in a cloud of dust". What do you suggest in lieu of a blower? Our blower reverses and can also be used as a mulching vacuum?

Now were I to use it as a vacuum for our number of trees? Mowing takes me close to 2 hours, so using a vacuum? Probably a couple days.

Trees have their beautiful UP side, along with their Down side. Last week we had leaf guards put on our gutters as I decided it would save me lots of climbs up and down our ladder, had a full days work removing the leafs and wet gunk after a rain.

When a neighbors dust bothers you? Get yourself a filtered face mask, a real good one, and you will be pretty well protected against "bird droppings/mold and bacteria". Best I got to offer ya as I don't see leaf blowers becoming illegal any time soon.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I love mine!   I used a small one for years, didn't know any better.    Then I found one that blows, then vaccuums & mulches.    The blower part was like a jet engine compared to my old one.   I can do my driveway in 10 minutes & it's long.   And I only have a small area of  my yard with leaves, I don't blow them much but I do vacuum a lot.

There is no way I could clean up my yard manually, without the tools.

If you want to ban my blower, go ahead but you will have to clean up my yard!

@SilleeMee wrote:

The leaves are falling once again and the leaf blowers are out in full force. I don't like them for many reasons. The dust they create is dangerous to our health! The blowers stir up things like bird and rodent droppings, mold, bacteria...and other gross things like pesticides and herbicidesSmiley Tongue. The noise is another thing!

I don't go outside if any of my neighbors are using their blowers. Wish these leaf blowers become banned one day.

Valued Contributor

Sorry.........but........We would never get the yard cleaned up without a leaf blower1

Honored Contributor

@hckynut

... Always the "voice of reason."  Thank you for your post.

I hope all is well with you and Cindy and, of course, the cats.  Smiley Happy

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Trusted Contributor

Bann Leaf blowers? Nope! How about banning lawn mowers, cars  (pollution), those pesky dangerous pressure cookers, and most of all HOUSES. The air indoors can be 100 times more polluted then outdoor air. Be the one who has to handle 11 acres and just try using a rake.....betcha you would change your mind real fast about a leaf blower. Noone bothered here. Bann them and I would still find a way to buy one LOL The harder they blow and suck in....the better. Hmmmm that did sound alittle funny haaaaaaaa