Respected Contributor

Re: How do you NOT overpack for a trip/vacation? How many outfits, shoes, etc.???

It is impossible not to.

We just returned from two weeks down south. I wasn't thinking and did not pack enough SUMMER clothing lol..thinking the evenings could be capri's...NOT NOT NOT when it was heat index ot 110.

Condo had washer/dryer so didn't use half of what we packed but we drove so it wasn't too bad..but it was nice to have options LOL!

Honored Contributor

Re: How do you NOT overpack for a trip/vacation? How many outfits, shoes, etc.???

Egads I know I have overpacked on jewelry, but I love my jewelry and I need plenty of selection. Sometimes, I just touch and look at some of it. I enjoy it, it's my art! LOL.

Thanks for all the tips!! and ideas. I did have to change my mind on something else, oh, I'm cutting down some of the craft stuff I thought I'd mess with to keep me busy since I get up so early and he sleeps in. But I think I have in mind what I'll be doing now. Thanks!!

Respected Contributor

I've made the trip between Hawaii and the Mainland so many times that I can be totally packed and ready to go in about 1/2 hr (1bag only). and not overpack.........if you start packing too far ahead of time, you'll definitely overpack.  Remember, undies can be rinsed out in the bathroom sink with a little shampoo and will dry overnight, so don't take a pair for every single day.....small size shampoo ( maybe two of those small bottles instead of 1 normal size)....shoes must go with at least two outfits (preferably more).....t-shirts can also be rinsed out with shampoo and dry overnight in the bathroom (I pack one plastic hanger in the bottom of my suitcase because the hotels have wooden ones and they usually have that hang post and can't be hung anywhere but the closet and I also don't want t hang anything wet on a wooden hanger).  Take basic jewely and wear it with everything.....tops, shorts/pants must all go together in diffeernt ways.  Don't drag a hair dryer.....find out if the hotel has one in the room.  I never take a carry-on.....I hate schleping anything but my purse in the airport and I have been very lucky checking my one bag.......I usually am traveling just one airline, so I think there is less of a chance of it getting lost.  If I was traveling multiple airlines, I might then take a carry-on instead of checking my bag.

Respected Contributor

The main reason I like taking the car for trips is that I don't have to decide exactly what I want to wear. Makes me able to bring more of everything and then decide when and what I feel like. Packing for a trip by air is a pain for me. 

Trusted Contributor

We're about to go on another vacation, and I'll barely take more for four days than I would an overnighter. Pillow to watch winder...it goes regardless.
Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

OMG all of your ideas are great. Love them all. I have traveled so much and always overpacked . My dream is to buy an Airstream 16 foot Bambi. Travel the U.S. My kids laugh at me because I need a tractor trailer following me with all my stuff. Well I have to have enough shoes,purses tons of make up and hair products and don't forget the jewerly. How much can you put in a 16 footer. I'll be gone for a long time. So much stuff so little time,
Super Contributor

I find it much easier to travel lighter. The fewer things you have to choose from, the quicker you can make a decision on what to wear. I traveled a lot for work and did 5 days from a standard rollaboard carry-on quite easily. That was before the advent of business casual when I had to wear a suit everyday. Having pieces that all went together helped tremendously. Now that I'm retired, I do check a bag if the trip is longer than a week, but I still travel lightly. You'll find a lot more room in your bag if you roll clothes very tightly before packing them. I stick to natural fibers where I can as I HATE, HATE, HATE those polyester knit "travel clothes".
Esteemed Contributor

My personal best was packing for a 3 week trip to Russia in a 21" carry-on.  It was summer of course so that helped and I knew I would have access to hotel laundry facilities and the strength of character to ignore the outrageous bills. 

The second best was being a volenteer at a 2 week girl scout camp which was about a one mile walk in only.  The tents and sleeping bags and food was boated in, so we only had to pack personal items.  We were restricted to 1 backpack and I made it work but it involved a lot of debate about whether clean sox or clean undies were more desirable.  Sox won.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is a timely thread as tomorrow we are heading overseas for 2 weeks.  I am not a light packer as I always want to be prepared for a change in the weather or itinerary. I do wear knits as they do not wrinkle and do not occupy a lot of space in the suitcase. I've never understood the concept of reversible items.  Day 1, you wear side 1.  Day 2, you wear the stinky side that was next to your body, facing out?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FrostyBabe wrote:
I find it much easier to travel lighter. The fewer things you have to choose from, the quicker you can make a decision on what to wear. I traveled a lot for work and did 5 days from a standard rollaboard carry-on quite easily. That was before the advent of business casual when I had to wear a suit everyday. Having pieces that all went together helped tremendously. Now that I'm retired, I do check a bag if the trip is longer than a week, but I still travel lightly. You'll find a lot more room in your bag if you roll clothes very tightly before packing them. I stick to natural fibers where I can as I HATE, HATE, HATE those polyester knit "travel clothes".

Very good tip and so very true. Smiley Happy