Esteemed Contributor

Re: How do you NOT overpack for a trip/vacation? How many outfits, shoes, etc.???

[ Edited ]

I travel quite a bit.  But before I start I travel for dance festivals (square and round dance).  By plane it is most challenging.  I fly Southwest so I am allowed two checked bags... two for me and two for hubby.  I NEVER TAKE MORE THAN 2 BAGS HOWEVER.  One bag is a wheeled garment for skirt and top combos.  I also put in hubby's dress slacks and shirts.  Any accessory as in belts, bolos, jewelry goes in the pockets.  So you would say this bag has one purpose.  And just to be clear I pack light with one color bottoms and tops that match in some fashion by theme. 

The other bag a small hard sided wheeled suitcase  has shoes, underware, pajamas, bathing suits (if needed).  I select one color and pack a pair of slacks each for both of us.  Weight depends upon season.  The tops are light weight and give variety and color to the bottoms.  What I wear on is in layers, so a light jacket is not packed but worn.  It serves to keep us warm and help us in case of bad weather. 

I pack one more bag  duffle like (vera bradley)... but it has a folding case with necessary essentials inside as in tooth brush, meds, travel size hair products and other useful items like tape or scissors.  It has the extras that I might need.  I check it.  

One carry on.... with essential documents, even my purse like tote inside.  Camera, cell phone, small umbrella is included.  It is my whatever bag and I really don't carry a purse.  I often wear a vest with pockets.

In all I have 2 bags, one duffle... checked.  And then there is the one carry on.  I can handle any airport this way.  And in case of going by car it still is an easy in and out of hotels.

What do I actually pack.  Well again it is color coordinated.  But before anything is packed I set out the outfits in total to see what it will look like before I pack them.  I don't want to take the wrong outfit... So everything is tried on as if I am going out at that moment.  

One more idea.  I carry folded a tote bag that expands just in case I need one more bag on the way home for gifts or things I bought and JUST HAD TO HAVE.

Honored Contributor

Re: How do you NOT overpack for a trip/vacation? How many outfits, shoes, etc.???

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think I can be of help. Last July, I had to pack to live in the Caribbean for a year. I did overpack and learned a few valuable things. 

1) You are only going to need at most 3-4 pairs of shoes. I took about 20 pairs and ended up using in the entire year only about 4 pairs. Most of the time, I would use a pair of flat black gladiator sandals to my surprise. Especially on vacation, you are rushing here and there and will just opt to use the clothing and shoes that is most convenient. Plan your outfits ahead if you want to make the mostly of the clothing you bring, otherwise it will be mostly grab and go. Most likely, you will only need a comfortable and dressier pair of sandals/shoes that goes with everything and a pair of flip flops. 

2) I brought so many dresses and ended up using only about 10 of them in the entire year. Maxi dresses especially the ones that were throw on but looked nice and dressy were my staples. The ones that had halter straps or needed strapless bras I hardly wore. 

3) I didn't bring enough bottoms because I figured it was hot and wouldn't need them. Big mistake. I ended up using the 3 pairs of jeans I brought the most of all my clothing to my surprise. You only need about 3-4 pairs. Make sure you bring a nice pair of black pants. I ended up using these so much more than I thought I would.

4) Bring enough tops. I had plenty of tops but only wore about 10. I had two button down sleeveless dressier tops, one in black and the other in white, that were workhorses for me. These you can were alone or over maxi dresses as cardigans. 

5) I totally agree, skincare and makeup takes up way more space than you think. Imagine I was packing for a year and had to bring extras of everything. I suggest you make a dry run and pack skincare and makeup ahead of time so you have a realistic idea of how much space it takes. Most items need to be checked, therefore you have much less space in your suitcase.

I highly suggest to buy travel sizes of the makeup and staples you need the most in case you forget your makeup etc. that you can pack in your carry on. I almost had a heart attack when I was coming back to the US thinking I left my makeup carry case behind. It made me realize that I need to have the essentials with me at all times just in case it does happen. Also, it helps to have these things in your bag to touch up when you go to the beach or are out all day and don't have time to go back to your room to refresh your makeup. 

6) I brought way too many handbags. I ended up using about 3 the whole time I was there. The one I used 90% of the time to my surprise was the Oryany Taylor bag in black (a small cross body bag). Realistically, I could of just brought this one bag and been ok. I suggest to bring only 2-3 bags at most; one smaller bag, one to go to the beach and a dressier bag if needed. On a cruise, I also learned you only need one or two bags also. Again, with the rush of trying to make the most of your vacation, you just end up grabbing and using the same bag. All the bags I brought to go with this and that I just didn't use.

I hope this helps. 

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

My husband over packs some but I generally take what is needed and about three extra, like shorts/t-shirts..  by the time the week is over most of everything's in the laundry bag anyway so if we need anything while gone, we just buy it..  always take a couple pair of jeans and extra shoes but I learned quickly over packing was not the way to go for me.. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

I have posted about these before:

convertible travel items

From Eddie Bauer- convertible dress to skirt (on sale now)

Convertible skirt to shirt-

Orvis has these reverible tanks (two different necklines).

Reversible Everyday Favorite Tank

They also have reversible belts, if you want to change up your accessories.

Reversible Go-To Belt

Depending on your vacation plans, these might be useful, from REI. 

Also from REI- a reversible bathing suit.

Gaiam makes these reversible dresses, at Kohl's.

Trusted Contributor

I almost always overpack. Can't help it, I like options. I take the bigger suitcase, my husband takes the medium one on longer trips. I could never carry on all my clothes and 'stuff'. Quick weekend trips we can often share the large suitcas though. 

Honored Contributor

Having a lot of stuff to lug around and keep up with and paw through is the best way in the world to ruin a great trip! 

1.  Makes a list of EVERY DAY's activities.

2. Start deciding what clothing is appropriate.

3. Put down ALL you will wear, including under garmets and shoes, jewelry.

4. Go BACK through the list at least three times and see how you can wear mix and match, wear a basic color group, and wear something out to dinner several nights if feasible, or wear and wear pieces the next day, etc.

It's easy when you plan ahead, think creatively, and make think about not having to keep up with and carry any extra stuff around! 

Honored Contributor

If you're still shopping for clothing for your trip, TravelSmith is a great catalog for packable, no-iron and multi-purpose items.
Honored Contributor

Car travel is a whole other topic ;o)

I pack a LOT of shoes in that case and I leave them in a tub in the trunk and just wear flip flops back and forth to the car and pick the shoes I need at any given time.

If I were going somewhere for a year, I think I would buy clothes at the destination.  I'm not sure my current wardrobe would work in, say, Arizona.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

These are sharp I tell ya... might have to give REI a looksie..

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee