Honored Contributor

Re: How do you NOT overpack for a trip/vacation? How many outfits, shoes, etc.???

It's no use. I've just overpacked. The weather is possibly going to prevent such variables and being by the lake could be cooler. I have joined the "just in case club" and am prepared for just about anything. I'm a complete failure from all my good intentions. Ughh!

Honored Contributor

Re: How do you NOT overpack for a trip/vacation? How many outfits, shoes, etc.???

[ Edited ]

@muttmom wrote:

This is a timely thread as tomorrow we are heading overseas for 2 weeks.  I am not a light packer as I always want to be prepared for a change in the weather or itinerary. I do wear knits as they do not wrinkle and do not occupy a lot of space in the suitcase. I've never understood the concept of reversible items.  Day 1, you wear side 1.  Day 2, you wear the stinky side that was next to your body, facing out?

As to the reversible clothes, there are two different looks. One of my sets is a solid color on one side and then when you turn it inside out, it has a design. Same with the other pieces: shirt/blouse, pants, and skirt. They come with two designs. Started to spell it out in more detailed, and even I got confused. A great example is on TravelSmith.com. Once you get there, in their search area put the words Voyager Knit Reversible Shell. Not only will you see a top that is reversible, but to the left of that item, they will also show you skirts, slacks, etc., that do the same thing. The combinations you can come up with just a few key pieces are really space saving in your suitcase. It's amazing how well they hide the zippers on either side so each way you wear it, it looks correct. Smiley Happy 

Valued Contributor

Well, I'm a "planner" with OCD so I like to lie out everything per day/event on my bed. Also I bring my own hair tools & products, etc because I'm picky. Cat LOLCat LOL

I pretty much pack until I get 2lbs under the weight limit. LOL

Honored Contributor

Taking old undies is the BEST travel idea!  They aren't so much heavy as bulky.  Why not get more use out of them then toss along the way?  I also don't wash things out while I am traveling because I'm too busy and not in one place long enough sometimes for things to dry out.  If I have to, I'll have the hotel clean a piece or two.  But usually not necessary.

Honored Contributor

We are on an extended vacation right now.I brought only black dressy clothes, black pants and a black skirt and a black sheath dress. 3 dressy tops - one tan and black, a blue and black and a red and black. One dressy black purse and one pair of black dress shoes. Otherwise just capris and t shirts and 2 pair of jeans and a jean jacket in case it get cold. One pair of navy sandals and one pair of tan. Underwear and nightgowns and a swimsuit & coverup & I was done.

Respected Contributor

I've been known to slip in my pillow and a few framed photographs, so I can't boast of light packing skills. Both times I went to Japan for 2 week trips, the Customs and Immigration people assumed I was moving there permanently. 

Especially if it's a mixed work/pleasure trip, a number of clothes options are necessary, plus change of shoes.  The kindle is a great replacement for the books I used to carry (jetlag gives me insomnia) but I take my own toiletries in small containers and more shoe options than most people need. 

I have a great Travelon rolling duffel, but still always ensure that I can carry the suitcase up and down a flight of stairs.  I do strength training at the gym, though, so I don't really have a problem with hoisting my bag.  (You lug it around--that is why it is called luggage.)  Smiley Happy