Esteemed Contributor

Re: How do grocery stores rebottle, recan, repackage in a clean room

@Marp wrote:

@puttypiesmom wrote:

@riley1 wrote:

Private labeling has been in existence for many years. Are you just now realizing that this is happening? 

No, stores are not tricking you or relabeling their product. A store will contract with a manufacturer to make product similar to the "Name" brand, then it is either bottled or canned and labeled (and yes, the label could look similar) and is stocked either next to or in close proximity to the "Name" brand.

There is nothing illegal about this process. You either pay more and buy the "Name" brand or pay less and buy the store brand. 

IMO store brands (with some exceptions) are usually as good as the "Name" brand.

@riley1No I'm not just realizing it now.  Read the thread.  Kroger is NOT contracting out for 100% of their food but in fact manufacture 40% of it themselves and that figure will only get larger not smaller.  

Somewhere I've lost your primary point; it seems to have changed since the OP. 

What exactly is your concern--store brand labels looking too similar to name brands, non-disclosure of proprietary information, that 60% of their store brand is manufactured by another company or that they are also manufacturing their own brand(s)?

If what you say about Kroger owning all the grocery stores in your area is accurate the simple solution to whatever is bothering you about them manufacturing 40% of their own brand(s) is to buy the name brands and avoid Kroger's completely.

Have been following this for 3 days and really have no idea what actually is the OP concern.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy - after thinking about it, I've come to the conclusion that it has something to do with recalls?

Although when recalls are issued they normally include "sold by or under the label of".....

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@CrazyDaisy - after thinking about it, I've come to the conclusion that it has something to do with recalls?

Although when recalls are issued they normally include "sold by or under the label of".....

If recalls are the issue, all manufacturing plants process in:lot numbers.  They would know what was produced and for who by that number.  Should there be a problem at the facility, recalls would be issued from the information contained in that lot number. Would not matter if it were for a national brand or a store brand.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

The issue originally posted has all the facts out there if someone cares to read and assimilate the information.  If someone's mind is made up and they won't listen to facts, nothing you can say will change their mind. 

Honored Contributor

When I lived in another state, we were excited to find out that a popular ice cream was made nearby and also under a different, cheaper label.

Another fact I’d like to add is that the last time I looked on the EWG site (last April) they mentioned that bottled water has the least available (able to be confirmed) bottling and ingredient information of practically anything.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

When I lived in another state, we were excited to find out that a popular ice cream was made nearby and also under a different, cheaper label.

Another fact I’d like to add is that the last time I looked on the EWG site (last April) they mentioned that bottled water has the least available (able to be confirmed) bottling and ingredient information of practically anything.

I don't think most people buy bottled water because they think it is better, they buy it for the convenience.  Some people have developed the need to hydrate all the time.

When I was growing up, we seemed to do fine without our sippy cup all day.    

Woman Wink