Trusted Contributor

Re: How do grocery stores rebottle, recan, repackage in a clean room

@aroc3435 wrote:

@puttypiesmom   If you are suspicious of this supermarket why don't you just shop at another major chain in your area?  

Doubtful, to me, that there is anything amiss at Kroger's.  And legally they don't have to disclose any proprietary information.

There are federal health and safety standards that any food purveyor has to adhere to, as well as state and local laws.

If you continue to think you are being deceived in any way your State Representative's office or your State Attorney General's office might be able to assist you in clarifying this for you.

Oh my goodness I would never allow them to get away with non disclosure of their manufacturing practices whether I shopped there or not.  It's offensive to me, their arrorgance and they own all of the stores in my area except Whole Foods.  

According to the company’s website, it owns nearly 2800 grocery stores in 35 states. . These stores comprise more than 24 chains, including Kroger, Ralphs, Dillons, Smith’s, King Soopers, City Market, Fry’s, QFC, and Harris Teeter. Some of these grocery stores also contain fueling stations, and others are combination food and drug stores, which contain pharmacies. The company also owns larger marketplace stores like Kroger Marketplace and low-cost grocers like Food 4 Less.

Esteemed Contributor

Private labeling has been in existence for many years. Are you just now realizing that this is happening? 

No, stores are not tricking you or relabeling their product. A store will contract with a manufacturer to make product similar to the "Name" brand, then it is either bottled or canned and labeled (and yes, the label could look similar) and is stocked either next to or in close proximity to the "Name" brand.

There is nothing illegal about this process. You either pay more and buy the "Name" brand or pay less and buy the store brand. 

IMO store brands (with some exceptions) are usually as good as the "Name" brand.

Trusted Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

Private labeling has been in existence for many years. Are you just now realizing that this is happening? 

No, stores are not tricking you or relabeling their product. A store will contract with a manufacturer to make product similar to the "Name" brand, then it is either bottled or canned and labeled (and yes, the label could look similar) and is stocked either next to or in close proximity to the "Name" brand.

There is nothing illegal about this process. You either pay more and buy the "Name" brand or pay less and buy the store brand. 

IMO store brands (with some exceptions) are usually as good as the "Name" brand.

@riley1No I'm not just realizing it now.  Read the thread.  Kroger is NOT contracting out for 100% of their food but in fact manufacture 40% of it themselves and that figure will only get larger not smaller.  

Esteemed Contributor

What we have here is a woman who seems to be convinced that the food processing that's done by Kroeger and other food manufacturing plants are somehow doing something that is either not safe or nefarious. This country has very safe federal standards that provide food to not only  this country but to other countries as well, and it's been that way for decades. It doesn't seem that all of the honest explanations of food processing will change her mind. So be it. The OP needs to do whatever investigations she thinks are necessary, although I doubt that will be satisfactory to her either.

Respected Contributor

Image result for Andy Warhol Soup Cans

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Trusted Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

What we have here is a woman who seems to be convinced that the food processing that's done by Kroeger and other food manufacturing plants are somehow doing something that is either not safe or nefarious. This country has very safe federal standards that provide food to not only  this country but to other countries as well, and it's been that way for decades. It doesn't seem that all of the honest explanations of food processing will change her mind. So be it. The OP needs to do whatever investigations she thinks are necessary, although I doubt that will be satisfactory to her either.

Actually, @jannabelle1 it's called having a social conscience. Try it sometime. 

Esteemed Contributor

@puttypiesmom wrote:

@riley1 wrote:

@riley1No I'm not just realizing it now.  Read the thread.  Kroger is NOT contracting out for 100% of their food but in fact manufacture 40% of it themselves and that figure will only get larger not smaller.  

Somewhere I've lost your primary point; it seems to have changed since the OP. 

What exactly is your concern--store brand labels looking too similar to name brands, non-disclosure of proprietary information, that 60% of their store brand is manufactured by another company or that they are also manufacturing their own brand(s)?

If what you say about Kroger owning all the grocery stores in your area is accurate the simple solution to whatever is bothering you about them manufacturing 40% of their own brand(s) is to buy the name brands and avoid Kroger's completely.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Valued Contributor

Contact Mary Ellen Adcock with your issues.   You can tell her in detail about the concerns you had after your meeting with Kroger management.

Mary.Adcock@kroger.com

libby's folly
Honored Contributor

Whatever problems there are with lettuce and chicken and such, this one the OP is concerned about sure isn't it.  If you want to be disturbed about something, try lettuce. 

National and store brands aren't something anyone should be concerned about.  Buy what you want to and have a great day. 

QVC Customer Care