Contributor

Re: How do grocery stores rebottle, recan, repackage in a clean room

Oh my really?   They contract with manufacturers to produce similar products at a lower  price under their “house” label, place it on shelves next to the national brand so you can see the difference in price.  Sometimes the retailer cheaps it down a little but generally they are pretty close to the major brand. The manufacturer produces the bottles, cans etc - for private labeling. Send to the producer of the product that goes into those containers. Just like a regular name brand manufacturing facility who gets their containers from the same container factory. Why would you ever think what u are thinking.

Honored Contributor

Costco's Kirkland brand is excellent and a good buy.  

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44Fiji Water is not bottled in the U.S. 

Honored Contributor

https://scontent.harristeeter.com/legacy/productimagesroot/DJ/4/1506584.jpg

simple truth artesian water

Manufacturer

Kroger

Cincinnati, OH 45202
800-632-6900

(maybe you can call them and ask them directly where their water is sourced?)

https://image-cdn.symphonycommerce.com/images/sites/fijiwater/1469827054413_9198711532096142788.400w.png

fiji natural artesian water

sourced, bottled, and shipped from fiji.

viti levu, fiji

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 @aroc3435

The water is not Fiji Water but from Michigan where it is placed in square bottles like Fiji Water but labeled Artesia when selling their product in Michigan.  They are bottling the Kroger product there too labeling it Simple Truth. At Kroger, they are placing the 6 pack of 500ml square bottles of Simple Truth flush up against Fiji Water so they actually touch.  Glad I obtained confirmation it is not Fiji Water.   

Honored Contributor

House brands are packaged to look like the name brand they are similar to...so the customer knows what the house brand is like...sometimes they look too much alike...I have bought the house brand by mistake when I wanted the name brand....
Honored Contributor

@SCshopper2 wrote:

Oh my really?   They contract with manufacturers to produce similar products at a lower  price under their “house” label, place it on shelves next to the national brand so you can see the difference in price.  Sometimes the retailer cheaps it down a little but generally they are pretty close to the major brand. The manufacturer produces the bottles, cans etc - for private labeling. Send to the producer of the product that goes into those containers. Just like a regular name brand manufacturing facility who gets their containers from the same container factory. Why would you ever think what u are thinking.

@SCshopper2

You didn't bother to address whomever you were responding to, but now I've read your post three times and I still don't know what your point was, or whose post you were disputing.

Honored Contributor

After retiring, I worked for a chain of grocery stores.  They don't have the time or the space to open and refill anything.  Almost every brand-name manufacturer will rebrand products with different labels.  To think any store or chain or home office has the time or inclination to to refill on their own is nuts.  We also would have seen a lot more illnesses and deaths from contamination as it would be far from clean to do so.

Honored Contributor

How in the world did you every get this idea?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

How in the world did you every get this idea?

There are many reasons I began to feel this way.  First off, Whole Foods at the local level meaning inhouse was preparing fruit salads and labeling the plastic containers organic on the same cutting board as non organic fruit salad and they got caught and told to stop but did so for years before getting caught.  There are very strict guidelines regarding calling something organic and they were not following those guidelines.  Secondly, when I saw the Whole Foods employees stocking the shelves with 365 house brand 1/2 gallon jugs of water which are $.99, I asked what brand they really were and was told Crystal Geyser which they sell for a ridiculous $1.65 and given every indication right then and there that it was done inhouse in the back somewhere.  Third reason I began to distrust and feel that grocery stores were capable of anything is because they blatantly place lookalike house brands flush up against a national brand even touching packages side by side with the clear and false implication that it is always an identical product.  Yes, one has to read labels and good luck with that when often times the print is very tiny and the ingredients not in the same order as the national brand.  Ingredient order use to mean something but that too has changed from what I have been told.