Trusted Contributor

How do grocery stores rebottle, recan, repackage in a clean room

[ Edited ]

When it comes to grocery stores offering lookalike products packaged in their house label how is that done?  I recently saw lookalike Campbell Soup placed right next to the real thing on the shelf.  Do they open a number of soup cans and place them into their house labeled can and if so where do they do this?  I can just imagine contamination on every level from employees not washing their hands to having colds sneezing and coughing.  Is it really worth it to buy these products for a buck or two less?  I don't think it is.  

Many of these items are labeled organic.  The laws are pretty strict about avoiding cross contamination with non organic produce and other products labeled organic. I'm just not convinced this practise of repackaging is on the up and up or even regulated to protect the consumer.   

Respected Contributor

Re: How do grocery stores rebottle, recan, repackage in a clean room

You're kidding, right?

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

Stores do not empty brand name containers and put them in different containers with their label. LOL. Manufacturers often make goods for different brands in the same plant. For example chicken soup - Different production runs of the same or similar product with different brand labels.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Why do you think that a grocery chain will open cans of food and place it into their own cans?!!!  If they were to do something like that it would make prices go up not down!

Supermarket chains that offer their own brands have contracts with manufacturers that have machines which do most of the work (people don't touch the food) filling, sealing & labeling cans.  I'm sure boxed goods are done the same way.

It's almost 3 am and I need to go back to sleep...I can't believe what I'm reading.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Then how do you explain what Kroger is doing with Fiji water bottling a lookalike and selling it right next to Fiji labeled as Simple Truth when Fiji water is not bottled in the U.S. and whose advertisements say untouched by human hands.  Then there is Whole Foods rebottling Crystal Geyser in their 365 house labeled bottles. Doubtful that is done anywhere but on the premises of Whole Foods at their headquarters.    

Respected Contributor

Companies make and sell similar products, but the store is not repackaging. It woukdn’t Begin to be cost effective or safe to do so. 

Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

You're kidding, right?

@RoughDraft

Boy, I sure hope he/she is kidding .... 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@libbyannE wrote:

Companies make and sell similar products, but the store is not repackaging. It woukdn’t Begin to be cost effective or safe to do so. 

@libbyannEYes, that makes the most sense but I think package placement on the shelves when placed next to major name products is done to imply they are an identical product not similar but identical.  In the case of Whole Foods, I got it straight from the horse's mouth that they rebottle Crystal Geyser as their 365 house labeled brand to sell it for less money. Crystal Geyser water at Whole Foods is around $1.65 and the 365 house label sells it for $.99.  House labeling elsewhere can be seen on practically all store aisles especially in over the counter medicines that are also placed deliberately next to the product they are implying is identical. 

Honored Contributor

Some companies manufacture their brand named products for wholesale to other companies to sell with their own company labels for less, since they aren't using the trademarked 'brand' name.

What you "got from the horse's mouth" is that Crystal Geyser bottles and sells their same water to Whole Foods, at a cheaper, wholesale price using Whole Foods' 365 label, but it is the same water, bottled at the same plant.

In other cases, a similar product (like soup for example) is simply packaged in a similar label design/color as the name brand item, to mimic it.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@puttypiesmom wrote:

Then how do you explain what Kroger is doing with Fiji water bottling a lookalike and selling it right next to Fiji labeled as Simple Truth when Fiji water is not bottled in the U.S. and whose advertisements say untouched by human hands.  Then there is Whole Foods rebottling Crystal Geyser in their 365 house labeled bottles. Doubtful that is done anywhere but on the premises of Whole Foods at their headquarters.    

Read Biker Babe's response just above your original post.  If a corporate office is doing this, they have to have a manufacturing site located within their offices.  That's highly doubtful.