Trusted Contributor

How do I wrap a mattress in plastic for the dump?

I'm having bulk pickup come to my moms' house (she died 3/17) for large items to be removed. 3 (or 6 depending on how you look at it) are boxspring and mattress for 3 beds in the house. As per the dump, each of them (boxspring and the mattress) must be individually wrapped in plastic for pickup.

Due to covid, CS is not in place unless it's about your bill or missed routine pickup. Any clue as to what I'm supposed to do (looking for those who have had to do this or know someone who has) in order to wrap them? TIA!

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Contributor

Re: How do I wrap a mattress in plastic for the dump?

Amazon sells disposal bags for mattresses.

Honored Contributor

Wal Moart sells them as well and U Haul Centers.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Trusted Contributor

The mattress doesn't have to be slid into a single bag. It just has to be wrapped or enveloped in plastic.

Take a whole bunch of black trash barrel bags (readily available in any grocery).

Cut the bags open to increase their coverage area. Tape several together with duct tape or masking tape. So a few open ones taped together sturdily makes a "sheet" of plastic.
Put a few of those "sheets" together and lay the mattress on top of those. Now cover the top surface of the mattress with another "sheet" of plastic bags taped together.  Overlap the edges, top and bottom, and tape closed.  Mattress will be covered as required . 

The bigger the mattress, the more trash bags you need, so buy a couple of packages of trash can bags. Dry cleaning bags can be used in lieu of trash bags. 

This ain't rocket science. Bunch of bags taped together to cover a mattress. Hard to do alone, better with two people. 

Honored Contributor

@Full of it wrote:

Amazon sells disposal bags for mattresses.

I never knew there was such a thing so I looked it up on Amazon...yes they have them and aren't expensive either.

Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee 

If you have a mattress store/warehouse near you that is open, they should have mattress bags that you can buy.

We sell a lot of them where I work. Some of them for the reason you mention but mostly when people are moving.

Respected Contributor

Home Depot stocks mattress bags with the moving supplies.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow. Who knew. Especially since I've never had to wrap a mattress for the dump (my county just picks them up curb side) nor for moving. 

You learn something new every day. Thanks everyone!

Edited to add: I forgot to add that I've never seen them wrapped when curb-side for trash pickup. When delivered; yes. Hauled away; no.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Super Contributor

I disassembled an old mattress and tossed the foam and cover in a dumster we rented. I put the springs out for the medal recycle to pick it up. I watched a video about cutting the sides off the mattress to break it apart. It felt good to take out frustration on the mattress. It was fun while it lasted. 

Super Contributor

I had to do this a couple of years ago. I bought a roll of moving plastic that comes on a roll with 2 handles on it. I held the mattress on it's end, while my BF wrapped it around and around until it was covered. Worked great, as long as you have at least 2 people to do it.