Honored Contributor

Re: How did your parents meet

They met in san francisco at one of the clubs.  My Mom was working there, and in the evenings the girls went to clubs for the free hordorves  lol  Dad was in the Air Force, then it was Army Air Corp. they wrote for a while after meeting  In 1944 he was stationed in Enid, Ok, when he got his orders to be stationed in England  he wrote and asked her to  marry him.  She accepted, and took a train or plane to Ok  we never got it straight how she got there.  They Got married and went home to Los Angeles to lve with his mother..  he went to England where he flew 22 missions over Germany.  I think when you dd thta many they sent you home.  So he went home a couple months before the war ended.  

Honored Contributor

My dad was in the military and was stationed in Japan where he met a Japanese woman, my mom, who was working at a coffee shop while going to college. He came in daily to see her. She was getting a degree in teaching English to grade schoolers so there wasn't too much of a language barrier there and my dad spoke a little Japanese, too.  They got married over there then had me and my brother while still in Japan. 

Honored Contributor

Great thread.

At a dance. My mother went with a few of her friends. She was near-sighted, and needed to wear glasses all the time. But she thought they detracted from her appearance, and didn't wear them at the dance. When a man approached her from a distance, she couldn't see what he looked like. So her friends had to be her "eyes." They told her he was handsome, so my mother danced with him. They got married the next year. Woman Happy

They were married for 52 years when he passed away.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

I do not know the details. I'm glad they did of course. They had 3 boys before I was born. 

Esteemed Contributor

High-school

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My father flew a P51 during WWII.  He met my English mother in a pub.  They only met up a few times.  He went back to CA and worked to get the money to bring her over.  They were married on a popular radio show.  It was not an ideal way to start a life with someone.  

Esteemed Contributor

Your stories are heartwarming. I'd also be interested in hearing how you met your Persons. 

After WW2, Army, dad moved to the big city southeast of his home; Asheville, NC for his job at Bilmore Estates. Mom graduated valedictorian of her high school class and moved north to Asheville to begin her job with 'Ma Bell,' telephone operator. They met through friends and married in 1947. In 1948 they lost their first child to German measles.  Dad was accepted to study as airline machinist in the Midwest using his VA bill. They were so discouraged over the death of their baby, and needed a change, so they moved to the Midwest. Mom was a career woman and worked at Western Electric. Dad worked for TWAirlines. Every vacation was spent in NC. Mom missed her wonderful parents so much. More opportunities in the Midwest for careers, however, they left behind beautiful country.      

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

I have no idea.   They never talked about it and never celebrated an anniversary.  It was very strange and we never asked.  

Respected Contributor

I have no idea how they met, but they married in 1940, & I think it was a 2nd marriage for both.  I was born in 1950 & my bio-mom died of pneumonia when I was 3 months old & bio-dad not being father of the year material dumped me at his cousin's house to care for as an infant & then made me a ward of the state of CA & custody was awarded to his cousin & her husband, who raised me. For some reason, he wouldn't allow them to adopt me, though he provided zero financial support to them for me.  I saw bio-dad exactly twice in my life & he died in 1971.   He had 2 sons from his 1st marriage, who I never met & he wasn't in their lives, either.  I was better off without him in my life.

Esteemed Contributor

My mother came to the United States from Germany when she was eighteen years old.  Her first job was as a nanny.  My father was already here from Portugal.  I don't know about their first date but I can tell you what transpired on the second date.

He knew my mother liked bananas so on the second date when he picked her up he had an entire stalk of bananas as opposed to flowers.  They were together until my father passed away when he was 96 years old and my mother passed away a couple of years later at 94.  Until they died my father always had an arm around my mothers shoulders when they sat together watching television.   Theirs was a true love story.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam