Regular Contributor

Re: How did you wear your hair in high school? what year did you graduate?

No spoiler here! I don't know why I seem to have so many problems just posting a simple reply

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

I graduated in 1966 and all through HS my hair was shoulder length and I wore it in either a pageboy or a flip. Just depended on my mood when I set it at night if I put in the bottom row of curlers to flip up or go under.

In nursing school I let it grow long and my Mom cut it like Cher's - bangs and coming to a point in the back. 

It has now been short ever since chemo in 1983. 

I graduated in 1998.  

Junior high school was long wavy hair with Aqua Net-ted bangs a foot high.  Smiley Happy  High school was just boring long wavy hair.  

Respected Contributor

Very long, very thick auburn hair.  Parted in the middle, no bangs.I also put it in a high ponytail with huge rollers to straighten it.

I've had everything from that long to very short since then. Now, I embrace my curls and wear a shaggy,layered Bob just above my shoulders.  I'm lucky it's still as thick as a horse's tail.  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I graduated in 1966 and all through HS my hair was shoulder length and I wore it in either a pageboy or a flip. Just depended on my mood when I set it at night if I put in the bottom row of curlers to flip up or go under.

In nursing school I let it grow long and my Mom cut it like Cher's - bangs and coming to a point in the back. 

It has now been short ever since chemo in 1983. 

Very long, center part, brunette like all the other girls in the 60s.

Or if you need more of a visual reference, I looked like all of the victims of Ted Bundy.

Respected Contributor

I graduated high school in '83

I think I had a perm.  🤦🏻‍♀️

Honored Contributor

@2blonde  Well, I'm like my son-in-law.  He graduated from the top high school in the country for gifted kids way back.

He has children who are (he says) way smarter than he was so he sees what they're studying.  They're all in the gifted programs in school and one goes to a special gifted school that is associated with the Kennedy Center.

Here's what he says and I feel the same way.  "If I was going to school these days, with the competition out there I probably would not be able to get into the 'gifted' school".  I disagree with him, but on my part it is true.  I had to take one class for 5 hours a day in the summer because I couldn't double up on it (not enough hours in the day).  I'd leave Sophmore English and go over to Junior English and so on.  Very confusing, but I did it.

I just wanted to get on with my life.  I loved high school though.  Life was hard at home.

Kids these days are (some of them) way smarter than in my day (and he says his).

Too bad, though, many of them have book smarts but not a lot else.  Ha!

Honored Contributor

I was just thinking  about this.  Maybe I'm the only one who's experienced this but....humor me....

OK so I was commenting on how everyone's hair seemed to look the same.  There have been several times when I was looking through my yearbook and I can't find ME...I KNOW I'm in the picture, but everyone looks so similar I'm trying to find me....isn't that funny?

You go through those years and (although you want to look similar, you think you look like "YOU" but then when you see everyone, we all looked the same).  Ha!

Respected Contributor

At the end of high school in the seventies, I had a head full of thick, wavy,  chocolate brown hair that was down to my waist.  My cousin was going to hairdresser school and needed heads to work on.  I volunteered.  2 days before high school graduation I went in for that hair cut.  the plan was a Dorothy Hamill wedge, I ended up with something....Shorter.  A Lot shorter. Like,  I had trouble bobby pinning the cap on my head for graduation, short.  So, I wore it long in High school, I wore it short afterwards.  I'm growing it out long again just for fun.

Honored Contributor

I recall in high school all the girls were using Dippity Do to set their hair so I got my Mom to buy some. Oh Lord ! I broke out in such a severe rash I had to be off school for several days, and my parents had to take me to the doctor. He knew right away what it was because he had several other patients allergic to it.

Honored Contributor

Early 70's, honey blonde hair parted on the right side with long side parted bangs. My hair was past shoulder length. In the evening  I used to put it high on top of my head with a coated rubber band and then I put in about 6 rollers. I slept on it and when I took it out of the rubber band it was wavy and full. Those were the days...