Honored Contributor

Re: How did you meet your spouse/significant other

@Deb1010yetagain

Thanks, Deb, for starting this line.  It's just beautiful and so uplifting.

Honored Contributor

Actually, HE WAS A FIVE DOLLAR BET!!!!!!!  Really!  We were in college and I had dated a young man in the air force two or three times and he had gone home, which was a relief to me!  (I realized I needed to break it off at that point.).  One of the girls on my hall said there was a guy who was more than perfect for me and she'd bet me five dollars I'd be going out with him again.  I took it to avoid fried chicken livers in the cafeteria!

Our first date ended up lasting EIGHT hours over one pizza and four cokes!  I knew that was the soul I wanted to live in!

We just celebrated 40 years last June!

(DS met his wife by running after her in the mall parking lot and out into traffic because he thought "she was the prettiest girl he had ever seen"!

They've been married twelve years and have two sons!  Heavens knows how they'll meet theirs!!!LOL!!!)

Respected Contributor

We met in college and have been married 42+ years.

Valued Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Deb1010yetagain

Thanks, Deb, for starting this line.  It's just beautiful and so uplifting.

@Noel7  I'm loving these stories too.  It just goes goes to show you never know where and when you can meet the love of your life -- unless you use online (like I did lol).  But even then it's not guaranteed.  

I also like reading that some people are on their second+ love stories after a divorce or death.  It gives hope for all.

Trusted Contributor

Back in the late seventies, I was working as a receptionist and they were interviewing for a part time position in the lab for a college student. Among the applicants was my now DH. My boss had a difficult time deciding who to hire and he called me in his office and asked what I thought. I said "Hire the blonde". My boss said "Why?" And my response was "He's the cutest!".  We were married just over two years later and just celebrated our 35th anniversary❤️.

Respected Contributor

Met my first husband through a blind date arranged by a guy I worked with.  We married, but divorced 4-1/2 years later.  Got back together, but never remarried (we had no children and were dealing with elderly parents and our jobs, it didn't seem a priority.)  7 yrs. later he was killed in a car accident at 45.

At that point, I WAS NEVER GETTING MARRIED AGAIN....but wanted companionship, so went with the online dating sites.

Met a man who lived 3 miles away (as the crow flies) and he was looking to get married.  Put him off because we both had elderly mothers with health issues living with each of us and couldn't see how it could work. 

Well, he was a persistant devil and I fell in love with his patience, goodness and loving nature.  We married 9/9/99 (never gonna forget THAT anniversary!) and we've been "lobsters" (Friends reference) ever since.  Can't imagine my life without him.

Denise
Honored Contributor

Yahoo Chat in 1998...married on Valentine's Day in 2000...happily married almost 16 yrs Smiley Very Happy

Valued Contributor

My hubby of 42 years was a graduate student at the University where I began attending my senior year.  We both went to the same church and the pastor suggested we meet. We did-at a Sunday school party and the rest is history.  Bless him, he has Alzheimers now, and I visit him about twice a week in his facility. He still knows me and gets a big smile on his face when I am there. I love him with all my heart. He is only 65 years old.

Esteemed Contributor

He was my brother's roommate. We met when I was his "stand in" date for a weekend event because his girl friend at the time was unable to attend.
Honored Contributor

We met at a fundraiser, but we we were there with other people. We sat at the same large table and had mutual friends but never met until that night. We did not even exchange words at the table because we were not close enough to talk. We all left at the same time and he winked at me in the parking lot. I got a call a few days later from our mutual friend who said this guy wanted my number to call me.