Honored Contributor

Re: How did you meet your spouse/significant other

@SuzieGarnet wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

Thanks op for such an interesting subject.  I have enjoyed reading each and every one of these.  I started to give hearts but stopped because they were all so interesting.....so, I'll just say......SENDING HEARTS TO EVERYONE  WHO CONTRIBUTED!!!!!!!!!!!!

@jubilant, I would love to contribute to the heart fund- hope you don't mind this image....  red diamond says it all!

***********  I love this image....Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

I was 44 and he was 35 when we were invited to the same party by friends who thought we were a good match, intellectually, politically, socially. We met, no sparks, even though he was extremely handsome I thought he was full of himself. He thought I was Suzanne Sumers on 3s Company. Several months passed, he called one day and asked me out. One on one, we were a scary match. Corny as it sounds, we completed each other, and were together from that first date until he passed eight years ago. He was a gift to me, a generous soul who enlarged my life in so many ways. 

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

I was 44 and he was 35 when we were invited to the same party by friends who thought we were a good match, intellectually, politically, socially. We met, no sparks, even though he was extremely handsome I thought he was full of himself. He thought I was Suzanne Sumers on 3s Company. Several months passed, he called one day and asked me out. One on one, we were a scary match. Corny as it sounds, we completed each other, and were together from that first date until he passed eight years ago. He was a gift to me, a generous soul who enlarged my life in so many ways. 

@MaggieMack

Oh, Maggie, I am so sorry you lost him.

Honored Contributor

Fun stories! Thank you everyone for sharing!

My story: Our family cat got hit by a car and needed surgery. My mom was good friends with the head veterinary technician, who as a hobby liked to cook gourmet foods. He told the staff veterinarians if any of them would stay overnight to watch our cat he would make them dinner. DH was right out of school and said he would. I had just graduated from college and was working 3 jobs that summer. I couldn't get there to see her until late at night. My mom said someone would be there, so I went up around 10 or so! Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7, thank you! I am so content living now in the blessings of his spirit.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Valued Contributor

In a Honky Tonk , wouldn't recommend it but it lasted over 50 yrs

Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

@Noel7, thank you! I am so content living now in the blessings of his spirit.

@MaggieMack

You were blessed, Maggie Heart

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

Fun stories! Thank you everyone for sharing!

My story: Our family cat got hit by a car and needed surgery. My mom was good friends with the head veterinary technician, who as a hobby liked to cook gourmet foods. He told the staff veterinarians if any of them would stay overnight to watch our cat he would make them dinner. DH was right out of school and said he would. I had just graduated from college and was working 3 jobs that summer. I couldn't get there to see her until late at night. My mom said someone would be there, so I went up around 10 or so! Smiley Wink

@beach-mom

Great story!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@docsgirl wrote:

My late husband was my professor in Grad School. He wouldn't date me until the class was over.Woman Sad  We were married a year later.  He was absolutely the best and will be gone 18 years come Feb. 8.  There isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss him.  He died in my arms. Those of you who still have your other halves, treasure every moment God gives you as it goes by too fast.  You never know when the last time will be the last time.  God bless.   docsgirl

@docsgirl

I am so sorry for your loss, docsgirl.  You write well and your story came alive for me. Thanks for sharing it.

Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

When I was 5 yrs. old I was asked to be the flower girl in a friend of my mother's wedding.  My mother was a bridesmaid. The little boy (age 7) who was the ring bearer was from the grooms side of the family and we didn't know him.  Of course that made moms friend his aunt now.

Fast forward 13 or 14 yrs.   My mom and I run into his aunt.  She asks us if we remember the little boy who walked down the aisle with me at her wedding. She told me he had been badly wounded in Viet Nam and could use some encouragement and asked me if she gave me his address at Walter Reed...would I write to him.  So I did!  I sent him a  picture of he and I from that wedding and a recent picture of myself to let him know who I was.  When he flew home on a convalescent leave he called me and we went out on our first date.  He was on crutches and he didn't think I would go out with him because it could end up that he would eventually lose that leg.  Frankly...that never bothered me.  They did save his leg, however.

He would only have the weekends then have to fly back to Walter Reed.  I think he was there about 6 months total. So, while we only had the weekends together (I lived in Indiana).... we wrote each other every day. When he finally was well enough to be discharged from the hospital...he came home and we were married in 1969. They sent him to Fort Leonard Wood Missouri to finish the 8 months he had left of his time in the service.  He could not do much at the time so he was placed in a church office to print bulletins and basically do some secretarial work for the army chaplin there.  I went with him and that is where we first lived in a tiny mobile home for the next 8 months.

I still have all his letters. 

@jubilant

What a beautiful story Heart