Esteemed Contributor

Re: How did you meet your spouse/significant other

[ Edited ]

I met my husband at church where we were making sandwiches for the homeless.  He said he spotted me from across the room, thought I was the prettiest girl there and came over to meet me.  We began dating and got married a year later.  We've been married 35 years.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

First husband was my next door neighbor. We were married 55 years until he pased away.  He had a massive stroke and was a complete invalid for five years before passing. Could not speak, had to be fed through a tube, left side completely paralized. Somehow I managed to keep him at home because I would never consider a nursing home. One daughter came often to help me or I couldn't have made it. But we had some wonderful years before the stroke.

Present husband had a similar situation. Long years of happy marriage until his wife became totally disabled with MS. He was older and could not manage her at home. She passed away six months after my husband. We were neighbors and barely knew each other, but similar lives and similar responsibilities brought us closer. We've been married for nine years.

Respected Contributor

So happy for all of you who have met your soulmate.  Me, married twice, unlucky in love. Cute stories - I think you are either meant to be married or you're not.   

Honored Contributor

1971 in a bar in my home town and I knew immediately that he was the one. We didn't marry until 1973, but we're still together and have always been very happy. I always said we were made for each other and I do believe in soul mates.

Esteemed Contributor

I met my husband on an internet dating site in 1999 (after my divorce from my 1st husband).

We have been together since that first date in 1999 and just celebrated our 9th wedding anniversary in January.

I might add, my best friend met her husband on the same dating site (after her divorce), and my cousin met his wife, my 1 nephew, and 1 niece all met their spouses on online dating services too.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

I was a manager at McDonalds in the 70s and 80s.  He was my favorite buger flipper!

Thirty-one years later, here we are!!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Respected Contributor

I met my husband through my brother. First time we met he offered me a ride home but I declined because I was engaged to someone else. Two months later at my brothers wedding he caught the garter I the flower bouquet we were married a year and a half later. 

We will be celebrating 34 years of marriage this spring Heart

Valued Contributor

I was single forever and was not looking to date anyone. I quite liked my life as it was. 

At the time, I worked at a university and was working at an event. This handsome man with an infectious smile came up to me and started talking to me. He was a student (he was 23) and I thought he was too young for me, however he convinced me otherwise. We have been together almost five years and at times, it has been rough but I can't imagine life with anyone else. 

Respected Contributor

We met in an elevator in a high-rise apartment building.

I was home on summer college vacation..........he was several years out of college and 7 years older than I.

A party was going on that apartment building, and it was the sort of thing where word gets around and people just show up.  Lots of people going to and from all night long.

My date happened to know his date, so when my date and his date stopped to talk outside of the elevator, he pulled me back into the elevator, started talking, we had a date the next day.......and the rest is history. 

Respected Contributor

match.com  We've been together 12 years.Heart