Respected Contributor

Re: How did you meet your spouse/significant other

He was in the military, I was in college.  We met at a dance, told me he would call, never did. I forgot about him.   Met again 4 months later at another dance and this time he did call.  Got married that year.  He told me he never called because he had been shipped quickly to a base in Fl. during the Cuban Missile Crisis and was there for two months.  I believed him.

Honored Contributor

1.   At the baptism of a mutual friend

2.   My nextdoor neighbor

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

@racada wrote:
Hi Deb..... Just had to post because I saw your Syracuse, NY reference. Born and raised in Syracuse, now living in a Syracuse suburb. Married to my husband for 26 years this coming February. Met him at 20, didn't get married until 30, but worth the wait. He is also a local boy and we met in a bar. Not a glamorous story, but it's ours!

I was born and raised in Owego, NY (just west of Binghamton).  I LOVED the Syracuse area.  I still have friends up there!   Thanks for posting and making yourself known!  As for meeting your DH in a bar, that is a wonderful story and no reason to feel off in any way about it.

Valued Contributor

My late husband was my professor in Grad School. He wouldn't date me until the class was over.Woman Sad  We were married a year later.  He was absolutely the best and will be gone 18 years come Feb. 8.  There isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss him.  He died in my arms. Those of you who still have your other halves, treasure every moment God gives you as it goes by too fast.  You never know when the last time will be the last time.  God bless.   docsgirl

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It was a blind date - a college girlfriend was dating a guy.  His male friend asked my girlfriend if she had a friend she could introduce him to.  That friend was me.  The four of us went to a concert.  We never parted from that night on.  That was April 1975.  We've been together ever since.

Honored Contributor

When I was 5 yrs. old I was asked to be the flower girl in a friend of my mother's wedding.  My mother was a bridesmaid. The little boy (age 7) who was the ring bearer was from the grooms side of the family and we didn't know him.  Of course that made moms friend his aunt now.

Fast forward 13 or 14 yrs.   My mom and I run into his aunt.  She asks us if we remember the little boy who walked down the aisle with me at her wedding. She told me he had been badly wounded in Viet Nam and could use some encouragement and asked me if she gave me his address at Walter Reed...would I write to him.  So I did!  I sent him a  picture of he and I from that wedding and a recent picture of myself to let him know who I was.  When he flew home on a convalescent leave he called me and we went out on our first date.  He was on crutches and he didn't think I would go out with him because it could end up that he would eventually lose that leg.  Frankly...that never bothered me.  They did save his leg, however.

He would only have the weekends then have to fly back to Walter Reed.  I think he was there about 6 months total. So, while we only had the weekends together (I lived in Indiana).... we wrote each other every day. When he finally was well enough to be discharged from the hospital...he came home and we were married in 1969. They sent him to Fort Leonard Wood Missouri to finish the 8 months he had left of his time in the service.  He could not do much at the time so he was placed in a church office to print bulletins and basically do some secretarial work for the army chaplin there.  I went with him and that is where we first lived in a tiny mobile home for the next 8 months.

I still have all his letters. 

Valued Contributor

I just want to say I am LOVING these stories of how y'all met your significant other.  My heart breaks for those who no longer have your significant other in life.

Esteemed Contributor

1971 on a blind date arranged by a friend and neighbor of my mother who had grown up with my DH's mother.

Honored Contributor

We met at a club. 

I was standing with a bunch of friends, and he walked by.  Our eyes literally met.  He turned around and asked me to dance.  We talked and danced the whole rest of the night.  He asked me for my number.  I refused.  LOL. I said give me yours.

We have been together ever since - going on 22 years now. 

Respected Contributor

At a bar/restaurant that had a live band. My friends and I would go over for the dancing. DH walked up and asked me for a dance. We were married 4 months later. Celebrated our 52 anniversary last year.