Honored Contributor

Still living on the same property I came home to when my parents brought me home from the hospital.   My paternal grandparents bought this 200+ acre farm when my dad was around 10 years old.   Everything I need in my life is right here.  

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Still living on the same property I came home to when my parents brought me home from the hospital.   My paternal grandparents bought this 200+ acre farm when my dad was around 10 years old.   Everything I need in my life is right here.  

Oh @RedTop

This is my secret dream (although I know it can't happen now, as there is no land in my family from long ago now!).

There is a small farm near me, that my great grandparents owned for a number of years and farmed. My dad lived there with them during WW II when his dad was in service, and his mom was 'rosie riviting' in town. 

I'd love to buy that back and build a house there and be back on the 'homestead'. My top priority when I win that 600 million dollar lottery is to buy that farm!!

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@GCR18 wrote:

Job transfer sent me 1,000 miles from my birth state/family.

@GCR18

Do you like where your transfer sent you? If it was really different (like moving to a big city from a farm community or from the frigid north the the sunny south) has it been an easy adjustment? Ever think of moving back 'home' someday?

Yes, I like it here.  I went from a medium sized city on the east coast to a very small town in the Midwest.  I never considered myself a city girl, but apparently I am.  

Many adjustments.  The closet thing to a grocery store is the gas station.  Subway is the top restaurant.  No police station, but a sheriff.  Fire station with one truck.  No hospital.  Kids attend school in the next town for grades 7 - 12.  No stores, etc.  What we do have is peace, farms and a low crime rate.

The next town is about ten minutes away.  Doesn't sound like much, but it feels longer when you need to pickup one thing.  Next town has most common chains as far as restaurants and stores go, but no cheesecake factory or any of the newer chains.  Same goes for whole foods or trader Joe's.  Not enough population for them to come here.  

Grocery stores are a whole other topic.  That was the hardest change.  They are okay here, but nothing to write home about.  Don't even talk about fresh seafood.  

I've adjusted and have no plans to leave.  

Esteemed Contributor

I was born in MN & lived here all of my life, we have thought of moving out of state a few times over the years, but MN is home and I doubt very much we will ever leave!

Valued Contributor

I was born in a very small town in Arkansas. Was there during my growing up years but moved to Texas for college.  Met my DH there, we then moved to South Carolina for a job.Was there for a few years and then moved to southern Cal for a job.  Been here ever since.  We live in a nice quiet area to the east of LA, but I am tired of the state.  Miss rain and it's hot many months of the year. Don't know if I will move though. I am a widow now and will have to see where God takes me.  

Esteemed Contributor

Born and raised in Detroit Michigan...married and lived in Troy Michigan and then the husband got a transfer to N.J....been here for over 20 years...

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio

Born here in Public Housing Projects and have lived here all of my, soon to be, 78 years. Been a lot of places, including the BIG cities, but no thank you. I like living here and will meet my end of the road here.

Anything else you want to know. I have been known to "spill"!       =^..^=

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Re: How did you get 'here'?

[ Edited ]

I’ve stayed in the same basic area my whole life.  It’s a large metropolitan area with all the amenities anyone could want.  The area always has low unemployment and provides many opportunities.  When I’ve thought about moving, I don’t think I would find something that would be as appealing.  I like having access to stores, good health care, universities, entertainment, etc. 

Honored Contributor

I've always lived in my home state of Michigan. Love it here! Years ago we bought a little fixer upper on our favorite lake, in the upper part of the lower peninsula of Mi. We loved the area. We tore our old cottage down about 3 years ago and built new. My dh retired from one of the big three in the Detroit area and we packed up and moved up here. Best thing we ever did!  Its heaven on earth! Heart

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@ID2, We love to vacation up in that area. Truly beautiful.