Esteemed Contributor

Re: How d'ya "Power Down" at Night?

I am blessed to be a fairly good sleeper.  I have been most of my life.  As I am getting older though I do have some difficulty at times but it tends to be during stressful times.  My regimen is nothing special.  After dinner we sit and watch one of our series or a movie.

I keep my home tranquil in the evening with just a few nightlights and battery lit candles.

I also enjoy a nice glass of wine Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi My mom worked 3rd shift our whole childhood.  God love ya, I to this day cannot understand how she did it!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@scatcat wrote:

My body is really sensitive to what I eat. Having cappuccino with cocoa powder or cookies would be the death of my sleep (sugar and/or caffeine).  I rarely eat later than 6:00 pm so my body doesn't have to digest hard into the night. 

I pop a melatonin which helps 

~~~~~~

@scatcat 

I guess I forgot to mention. Both the Cappucino & Dark Chocolate Collagen Powder are both "sugar free" & "zero caffeine."  I carefully researched & feel lucky I found these!  One of these combos, at bedtime, is my "healthy" bedtime, "guilty pleasure."  Woman Wink

Not sure what I'll do come the hot, hot Summertiime tho.  heh 

(I was hesitant to mention this:  But my "Secret Weapon" isSmiley Happy

I accustomed myself to fall asleep, each night, to the soft sound of a CD called "Laudate."  (Soft Taize service from Canada).  Not an easy CD to find, whatsoever, so I had to make a copy, & wear the copy out!  heh  (I guess I have to hunt for it again)

"Laudate: Music Of Taizé :Tracks- Stay Here ; Jesus, Remember Me ; Psalm 50 and Kyrie Eleison ; Adoramus Te ; Confitemini Domino ; Veni Sancte Spiritus ; Laudate Dominum (1984 MUSIC CD) Audio CD – January 1, 1984"  (Amz - currently unavailable) Unfortunately.

(added)

So as not to be confused, cause there's several of (other) Taize CDs, ( I didnt care for the others)  but I believe the above CD is that same CD music that I have, but only my copy has the following, below CD case cover, (but my copy is from perhaps almost 30 yrs ago).  (I'm guessing either  (above or below) - "CD cover" would have the exact same music, since I recognize the song names.)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Being retired, I'm not as rigid as DH about when I go to sleep.  He's still working, albeit from home, but he still needs to be up and ready to go on time so he's got his set bedtime. Most of the time we'll head to bed at the same time but he'll be asleep quickly while I stay up to watch an episode or two of The Golden Girls.  If I don't do that, I'll watch videos on my iPad, browse Facebook, some shopping sites, surf the internet, do jigsaw puzzles on my iPad.  A few weeks ago we started a new ritual of having a mug of bedtime type tea in the evening.  Once in awhile I'll make a second one and bring it with me.  I'm really enjoying my teas, but I am up more often during the night (and this morning my hygienist said I have increased staining on my teeth 😕). Once I'm ready to sleep, I'll get everything situated; remove my extra "sitting up" pillow, put the iPad where it goes, put my hearing aids in their charger, put my room darkening eye mask on, and get comfy.  Once all that is done, a couple of finger snaps and our cat comes and gets snuggled in.  I pet her a little bit and drift off.  

Yes, it's a process.  😄

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

OHHHH.  I was sooo excited.  I've watched "Golden Girls" for years!

Just the other night, I finally saw the LAST series episode, and the FIRST series episode.  I had no idea that the series ended as it did on the Last Episode!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MakeUpMaidn wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch 

OHHHH.  I was sooo excited.  I've watched "Golden Girls" for years!

Just the other night, I finally saw the LAST series episode, and the FIRST series episode.  I had no idea that the series ended as it did on the Last Episode!!

My mom used to always watch it when it was first on.  I never cared for it then, but DH and I watch it a lot now, practically every night when it's on.  

Honored Contributor

By getting older.

Honored Contributor

Growing up I was always read or told bedtime stories, so I makeup stories in my head when I go to bed. I'm often, not always, the main character. 

Esteemed Contributor

My normal routine is to eat dinner and then straighten up, clean, ride my stationary bike and any other miscellaneous thing that needs to get done for the next hour or two.  I then sit down and just veg out with the TV until 10:30 or 11:00.  Around 9:00 I do some P/T type exercises with my wrist (bad fall and major surgery on it about 6 years ago).  Around 10:00, I start getting ready for bed and then finish watching whatever I had been watching.  After that, I head for my bed and don't normally have too much trouble falling asleep.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

For quite some time, I would take a 5mcg melatonin to help me to sleep.  Of late, I found Melatonin Cream.  I just dab a bit on my temples and rub it in.  Works much better than the pill.  And even if I wake up through the night to go to the bathroom, I have no problem going right back to sleep.