Honored Contributor

Re: How come Hollywood celebrities don't go to marriage counseling?

@SydneyH wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

http://pagesix.com/2015/08/13/ex-affleck-nanny-is-now-driving-around-in-a-brand-new-lexus/?_ga=1.131...

If Affleck is in fact footing the bill for this nanny's things (like the new Lexus, her hotel bill at the Bevery Hills where she took refuge from the press, etc)  why is this woman flaunting all this by posting on Instagram, and why is Affleck "letting" her in the sense of not cutting her off if he is footing the bill?  How insensitive to Jen and their kids.  I've read several articles saying how Afffleck and Garner were trying to make this split as easy as possible on their children, even still wearing their wedidng rings for the kids' sake to show unity for them, yet this obvious mistress keeps flaunting her "station in life" on the internet.  If I were Ben I'd have a little chat with this publicity-hungry ex nanny if only for the sake of sensitivity to his children and the mother of his children.

And do what exactly?  If she is pregnant, he is still has to play nice to keep her quiet somewhat.  He brought all this upon himself, now he'll have to deal with it imo.

HUH? Did you read my post?  "Do what exactly?"  How about keeping a lower profile and having a little class about a mistress?  And who said anything about a pregnancy?

I don't really understand your post at all.

Honored Contributor

@Vickiv wrote:

I think some of the celebrities have such ego problems. They seem to be looking for the next best thing . The temptations are always around them and that can destroy a marriage if they don't work at it. Drugs and alcohol are another big factor in the breaking up a marriage. I do think infidelity is number one . The temptations are always around them.

I don't know about "ego problems" ..... but there's a LOT  of insecurity, that's for sure!   

Consider this ........   the entertainment industry (especially acting) is, basically, a succession of short term jobs, and about 85% of the determining factor is going to be your appearance .....  if the body and face start aging and it's not kept in check, then your job possibilities quickly dwindle.    

How would YOU fare in that kind of job market?

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

HUH? Did you read my post?  "Do what exactly?"  How about keeping a lower profile and having a little class about a mistress?  And who said anything about a pregnancy?

I don't really understand your post at all.

I will explain then, it is rumored she may be pregnant.  He can't keep a 'lower profile', she keeps calling the press.

Esteemed Contributor

This is an odd thread. First off how do you know they haven't tried counseling? Secondly people are quoting unnamed sources like it is the gospel truth and believe every story they read about people they don't even know with a "source" who refused to be named. It seems so odd to be concerned about every detail about a persons life you don't even know.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I think the celebs are doomed when it comes to long term relationships because they simply have too much. They don't really have to work through problems because they don't rely on each other to make the marriage go. I've been married 41 years and was the marriage always perfect, no, but we relied on each other to make a good life for each other and our son. Not only were we lovers back in the day, we were best of friends and still are.

Honored Contributor

I am sure they do counseling all the time. My GD, and SIL are in the business, we know a few "minor" celebrities in the business, believe me they are the first to seek therapy. LOL! I am in the BH, Hollywood, area all the time, the buildings are loaded with therapists and psychs.  I am sure they just don't broadcast it.  Sometimes when they announce a divorce it is after years of counseling and separations the public doesn't even know about.

Believe it or not their is tons of stuff about celebritiies we don't know about.  That is why they have publicists and hire professional rumor people.  They spread rumors good or bad, depending.

Now, if you are talking Kim K, yeah she is pretty open.  But there is a lot she hides as well, as it it is not what she wants us to know.  They are pretty much in control.  When we hear about divorce, most of the time they have it leaked themselves.

Respected Contributor

Irshgrl31201 wrote:

This is an odd thread. First off how do you know they haven't tried counseling?

Secondly people are quoting unnamed sources like it is the gospel truth and believe every story they read about people they don't even know with a "source" who refused to be named. It seems so odd to be concerned about every detail about a persons life you don't even know.

ITA on both of those points @Irshgrl31201.

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Valued Contributor

i think there are a ton of variables relative to the question.

I'm sure some celebs do seek counseling while others don't.

It may all depend upon the reason or cause for the break up.

I mean, if its truly an issue of "growing apart" or other internal pressures, couples might be more agreeable to counseling.

But if one is already onto the replacement lover or wife...it would be a rare day in HELLywood that that partner will partake in counseling.

I mean, not with a new flame in the wings just asking how long it will take for the divorce to go through. lol

I think that celebs are people, too. Smiley LOL

And as such, their rate of break up is probably not all that far off the national average mark. Perhaps its a bit higher since they have more options.

And perhaps they don't always take the time to work on things because financially they don't have to.

Face it, a lot of regular people go to counseling because all the other alternatives aren't really all that financially appealing.

But one does have to wonder just what percentile of regular couples truly seek official counseling before separating. I mean, do most rrrrreeeally go to a marriage counselor? Or do they just argue till the attorneys are called?

I just don't know the statistics on that as to then compare celebrities couples to it.

I mean, if Mr. & soon to be ex Mrs. Jones don't trrruuuuly go to a marriage counselor before filing papers, why should we expect celebs to go to one at any greater rate really?

Valued Contributor

@surfk wrote:

i think there are a ton of variables relative to the question.

I'm sure some celebs do seek counseling while others don't.

It may all depend upon the reason or cause for the break up.

I mean, if its truly an issue of "growing apart" or other internal pressures, couples might be more agreeable to counseling.

But if one is already onto the replacement lover or wife...it would be a rare day in HELLywood that that partner will partake in counseling.

I mean, not with a new flame in the wings just asking how long it will take for the divorce to go through. lol

I think that celebs are people, too. Smiley LOL

And as such, their rate of break up is probably not all that far off the national average mark. Perhaps its a bit higher since they have more options.

And perhaps they don't always take the time to work on things because financially they don't have to.

Face it, a lot of regular people go to counseling because all the other alternatives aren't really all that financially appealing.

But one does have to wonder just what percentile of regular couples truly seek official counseling before separating. I mean, do most rrrrreeeally go to a marriage counselor? Or do they just argue till the attorneys are called?

I just don't know the statistics on that as to then compare celebrities couples to it.

I mean, if Mr. & soon to be ex Mrs. Jones don't trrruuuuly go to a marriage counselor before filing papers, why should we expect celebs to go to one at any greater rate really?

Great points @surfk.

Respected Contributor

And, how do we KNOW they don't...

Marriage counseling is not for everyone. It is a personal choice. And, a private matter. 

-Texas Hill Country-