Honored Contributor

Re: How can I teach a cat to use a litter box?

On 12/15/2014 lolakimono said:
On 12/15/2014 rosehill said:

I used the same brand of cat attract as you recommended that I have sprinkled on the litter. I have a hooded box and an open box available-but he doesn't seem to know what they are.

I really think this cat (we call him Benji) doesn't know what a litter box is.

1) The Cat Attract is the litter, not something to sprinkle on. I use it for all my boxes and my pee pee kitty is very happy.

2) You can also take some #2 from your other cats' boxes and drop one or two in the box, so that he smells it and gets curious.

They do sell a litter attractant you can sprinkle into the box.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

On 12/15/2014 ID2 said:

Hmmmm I love cats but 7?????????

Who are you to judge?

Super Contributor

To teach a semi-feral cat how to use a litter box may require that you place him in a large wire crate with only a small open litter box, a small bed and two small dishes of food & water.

Put the litter box on one side of the crate and put his bed, food and water near the front of the crate. Keep his food and water away from the litter box.

You can add some outside dirt to the CAT ATTRACT litter.

Confine the cat in the crate during the night and for periods of about two hours in and an hour out during the day. Supervise the cat while he is out and if he sniffs around for a place to piddle, gently place him in the crate and in the litter box so that he can piddle.

Since the kitty has no choice but to use the litter box in the crate -- he will learn to use it faithfully. Cats that are confined in a crate with just a bed, litter box and food & water will not u*rinate or defecate in their bed -- nor anywhere near their food & water.

If kitty uses the litter box to piddle or poo in, clean out the poos but leave at least one clump of piddle so that kitty can see it and smell it. This will help kitty decide that this is the place to piddle --- and (hopefully) he will piddle there again.

This is also the way to correct and retrain cats (who have developed some type of litter box aversion) to begin to use their litter boxes faithfully.

I have personally retrained two cats who had litter box aversions (caused by UTI's) by confining the cats in a large wire crate during the night and for several hours during the day with breaks only when I could personally supervise them. Both cats began to use their litter boxes faithfully and after about 3 weeks of crate training, I let them out in the bedroom with a litter box.

When I felt that I could trust them to have the run of the house, I let them out of the bedroom for an hour or so while I supervised them. Then I increased their break a little everyday until they were out of the bedroom most of time. I provided open litter boxes for them throughout our home with CAT ATTRACT litter in each.

I did not want the cats to regress so I did not allow them the run of the house while I was not home to supervise. I kept them confined to the bedroom while I was gone.

These two cats have not regressed at all. They have both used their litter boxes faithfully for several years now.

I think that this is an excellent way to teach a feral cat how to use an inside litter box. Some people have reservations about confining a cat in a large wire crate. However, the crate can be a good way to help cats learn how to use a litter box and is a safe haven for cats (or other pets) during an emergency or when traveling.

Always make sure to carefully monitor the time that kitty spends in the crate. Make sure he has clean litter, clean water and food. Give the kitty supervised breaks where he is allowed to be out and have the run of a bedroom or other small room (do not use the bathroom to confine kitty in as the scents in the bathroom can confuse a cats sense of smell and hinder his progress in learning to use a litter box.)

Here's a picture of the type of crate I'm referring to:

Walmart has small litter boxes that will fit in the back of this size crate. Put small bed in the middle and food & water towards the front of the crate.

Since you have 6 cats, confining the new cat in the crate will allow the established cats to check out the new cat without fearing that they will be attacked. This is a good way to introduce new cats to established cats/pets as well.

Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Contributor

I have heard of using sand or dirt in a litter box for a cat that had never seen or used a litter box. Once he gets used to using the litter box, begin to add litter and take out a bit of the sand/dirt. He may be used to just dirt or sand on his feet and is not used to going in a box. Also, use a big box. Perhaps a big plastic container (like a sweater box) that is larger than a regular litter box. He is probably not used to being limited to a box when he does his business.

Once he gets the idea, you can start making the box smaller and switching to litter a bit at a time.

Good luck and thanks for helping this little boy! I wish more would. (PS - I currently have more than seven cats, so don't worry about it! Smiley Happy )

Respected Contributor

On 12/15/2014 ID2 said:

Hmmmm I love cats but 7?????????

I have 8. And one Pomeranian male dog that we took from my dad.

I have had good luck with Cat Attract LITTER.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

We have had good luck with limiting surroundings to one room until the newcomer is successful. I have also sat by the litter pan and taken a paw and helped the cat "dig" if he will allow. I would like you to send a little luck our way. We have been "caring" for Maggie (a boy, we think lol) for almost two years, and have yet to touch him. I shudder to think what must have happened to him before he began visiting us. Blessings to you in your efforts!