Honored Contributor

Re: How are your bing cherries this year?

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

It is too early but it still didn't stop me from buying a couple of pounds that I saw at Whole Foods. Cherries are my favorite and I ate the whole bag. They are definitely better later in the season and I like the Rainer cherries the best which come out a little later.

I can't wait for the Rainer cherries. Last year I bought a 3 lb bag and my grandson and I ate the whole thing in one sitting. He loves them too. This year we are going for the record and doing the same but with 4 or 5lbs. 

@Irshgrl31201  The store where I bought the really good cherries just the other day also was offering Rainier.  I would have said it's "too early" for cherries here too in the midwest but my second purchase proves me wrong.  And the price is usually much higher than I paid if they are out this "early."  It's not "too early" for cherries if they are good ones!

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

It is too early but it still didn't stop me from buying a couple of pounds that I saw at Whole Foods. Cherries are my favorite and I ate the whole bag. They are definitely better later in the season and I like the Rainer cherries the best which come out a little later.

I can't wait for the Rainer cherries. Last year I bought a 3 lb bag and my grandson and I ate the whole thing in one sitting. He loves them too. This year we are going for the record and doing the same but with 4 or 5lbs. 

@Irshgrl31201  The store where I bought the really good cherries just the other day also was offering Rainier.  I would have said it's "too early" for cherries here too in the midwest but my second purchase proves me wrong.  And the price is usually much higher than I paid if they are out this "early."  It's not "too early" for cherries if they are good ones!

You're lucky, I can't even find Rainer cherries around here til probably mid June. I wish I could I would buy them even if they were at their best @Pearlee because I like them even if they aren't at their peak. Cherries of any variety are just my absolute favorite fruit. I wish I could get them year round like other fruits but only being able to get them for a short time each year is probably one of the things that makes me like them so much!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

Small but sweet, I hope it's because it is early in the season and look forward to the larger ones.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Too early in the season and won't pay 4 dollars a lb for them.  will purchase when they're 1.99 a lb.  

Honored Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

Too early in the season and won't pay 4 dollars a lb for them.  will purchase when they're 1.99 a lb.  

I'm willing to pay a pretty penny for cherries...because their season is so short and I love 'em.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

I'm willing to pay a pretty penny for cherries...because their season is so short and I love 'em.

In the DC area Pearly we have the cherries all through the summer season.  I was looking at them today and they were 3.99 a lb.  They didn't have a lot of the dark colored cherries.  They were mostly bright red.  Also, for your info, and you probably know this, but I didn't.  I was told how to pick out a ripe water melon.  We've gotten so many hard unriped melons until I walked into a certain grocery store that had a sign on how to pick a ripe one.  It told me to look for a huge yellow patch color on the bottom of the melon.  Said that will be one that was on the vine for a longer time before being picked.  Also mentioned if it weighs heavy, it's full of good juice.  Haven't had a bad melon since reading that.  

Trusted Contributor

Delicious!!  I am in So. Ca. and we had a lot of rain over the winter.

Last few years because of the drought the cherries have not been that good.  Much sweeter this year and I got them for 99 cents/lb. at a couple of our smaller markets.  Can't pass that price up.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought some very large dark cherries at our local grocery store yesterday $1.99 lb. & they are fabulous.  I also bought a watermelon with a yellow patch on the bottom & it is sweet & juicy.  I don't remember seeing yellow patches on the watermelons before.  I just love peaches, nectarines, plums & squash too.  

Respected Contributor

We got a bag on Thursday.  They're GREAT@@@@@

Heart

Honored Contributor

Not as sweet as they could be but still good.  We are on our 2nd batch!