Trusted Contributor

Re: How are you keeping your grocery buying costs down?

After the first couple of months of the pandemic, I began to feel restaurant takeaway was not really all that good, and I could do better with my own cooking.

We have a very good local farmers' market where I live, and I regularaly go there for fresh produce. I also go to Trader Joe's. As a long time shopper there, I know what to buy to keep my grocery bill down--much better prices than the big chain stores. I avoid prepared and canned, and processed food, mostly sticking to fresh or frozen meat, dairy and produce. Once in a while, I have gotten deliveries from CostCo--for things like tuna fish that last a good long time, and are very good quality.

We tried a bunch of Blue Apron and hungryroot type services. They're convenient and quite good, but expensive, and I've stopped buying this way. We only eat two meals a day, and really don't need convenience sources. I don't buy food from QVC--to our taste, it's pricey but only just okay quality. My occaional purchases from places like Schwans or Butcher Box are offset by our zero restaurant budget. And even so, these are just ingredients, not prepared meals. 

Respected Contributor

I'm not. I don't mean that to sound flip, but I honestly don't pay attention to grocery prices 99% of the time. I will look at the weekly ads from a handful of stores, but I've neither the time or interest in shopping at several different stores or clipping coupons.

It's just me. I focus on the quality of the food and it's nutritional value and don't worry about anything else. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Trusted Contributor

We're not and that's a concern for me. I don't buy pre-packaged anything. If you want a cookie or a dessert of some type, it has to be made. If we can freeze it, then freeze half and we'll bring it at a later time (cookies and cake freeze well). I don't make bread from scratch because I can buy it cheaper at Aldi. We eat chicken. 3 nights a week is a non-meat dish. I buy ground beef once in a while at Aldi. I buy all our meat at Aldi as it's the cheapest place around. Same for vegis and milk. I watch the ads but rarely is something that is not junk food or pre-packaged on sale. I add rice and pasta to many meals to make the portions larger. I make soup with leftovers. DH and I eat much smaller portions in order to give our sons larger amounts (or seconds if still hungry). They've discovered the joy of tomato sandwiches; fresh berries for Sunday dessert; and that PBJ is filling as well as being cheap.

I went to Aldi Friday. There were no salad greens of any type. A large sign was hung saying that items were not available at this time. Fresh berries were limited to 1 per person. Bread was 1/4 of what is normally offered. Eggs went from .45 cents a carton to $1.27 a carton from the week before. The large freezer cases held limited stock. I thought maybe they were just sold out but it was early morning so I asked; nope, just small amount of stock coming in. 

Walmart was a bit better but not by much. What fresh vegis and fruits they did have looked bad. 

I've discovered a few co'ops near us and have applied to join. Currently, they are not allowing new members (had no idea that was a possibility) so I'm on a waitlist. I'm adjusting our budget to allow more money towards groceries which means other areas will need to be cut back or eliminated. Gas has gone up, we have tolls and we're seeing an increase in our rent plus other items we have no control over. 

It is what it is.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

As far as groceries, buy what you love and use it!  I think planning meals, repurposing left overs and planning to use them makes the bigger difference than what you pay for items.  If you use it all, that's efficient.  No matter how cheap if you don't like it or don't eat it all, that's waste.

Also, buy meat on sale and shrink wrap it.  Save leftovers of meat and veggies and sauces for soups--put them in a zip lock bag and freeze it for soup every week or so.  Make use of cabbage--it's cheap and good for you.

Respected Contributor

I shop at Costco, Sam's and shop the sales but other than that I don't have a food budget. We just buy what we want.

Esteemed Contributor

I buy in bulk at Costco.  I also shop at Walmart, Safeway, Sams, Aldi, Giant Eagle and I just look for what I want and need.  I keep my costs down by not straying from a shopping list.  A few cents here and there... I make a plan where to go on a particular day.. so I don't wander and spend for more gas. Only two of us so we are not feeding lots of people.  

Honored Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

@NonametodayI Do believe some Aldi's are better than others.  Ours usually has good produce.  Mushrooms, asparagus, and grapes are usually good quality and less expensive.  I like their canned Tuna.  I think Their chocolate is good.   They usually have organic milk, and Irish butter for less than other stores.  Not a fan of their cottage cheese.  I Have not tried their meat.  I have fun going down the home goods Isle.  Found a Little set of tongs and a Pasta pot with a drainer and steamer insert  that I use all the time.  It's not the Prettiest of stores but you can find some things for the best price around. 

@candys mine 

My daughter says she has a good one where she lives.  She wanted to shop Aldi's when she was here on a visit and could not believe the condition of ours.  It all comes down to management, I suppose.

Trusted Contributor

There is a chain of grocery stores in the area of Texas I live in. They often have buy one, get one for 1 cent sales in their weekly specials. So,when they do that, I stock up on those items. It will often be chicken breasts,chuck and rump roasts, pork tenderloins and that is a good savings. For paper and cleaning products, toothpaste, that sort of thing, I shop Walmart.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Respected Contributor

I plan out all meals, and try to double them (big eaters here).  We don't have an Aldi or any discount markets anywhere near me, but we used to go out to dinner at least once/ week and that cost almost a weeks worth of groceries- Since the pandemic, that has stopped, so saving a chunk there weekly! 

Trusted Contributor

• Read the weekly flyers and plan around the sales.
  • Buy store brands - about 85% of the time there's no difference.
  • Check Costco for sales and BJ's for coupons.  Buying in bulk / on sale at those two stores saves me a lot.
  • Use produce that's in season to it's fullest.
  • Buy from farmer's markets in summer.
  • Never grocery shop when hungry.
  • Remind myself before entering the store of my mantra - NO IMPULSE BUYING.
  • Try to avoid going with husband who will see and want expensive steaks, ice cream, treats, etc.

Sadly, ALDI is not an option for me.  Our ALDI is a dump.