Honored Contributor

How are you keeping your grocery buying costs down?

I'm going to be more diligent in checking out the weekly spread for sales and specials on line before we shop.

I have the time and figure it could help.

Respected Contributor

Re: How are you keeping your grocery buying costs down?

@qualitygal   watch where you shop. If you have an Aldi it is a great place to shop. Selection is limited but good to go for the basic stuff.

Honored Contributor

Since the pandemic, I have spent more than ever!  It's ridiculous!  I do look at ads and clip what coupons I can find but usually there's nothing I use.  I shop at Aldi and Walmart.  These are the cheapest places near me.  I rarely shop at Giant Eagle, which is for the most part more expensive.  A few things I can purchase at the dollar stores and Target will occasionally have better prices on a few things.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

For many, the weekly grocery bill has risen because much of what we need has risen quite a bit in price. Some of the cost may be offset with lower dining costs as, in my case, we are eating every meal at home.

I also shop Aldi and go there and to my local supermarket with a list based on weekly sale items. If it's not on the list it does not come home with me!

In addition, for my health and budget, I have reduced portion sizes, so the food stretches further. I cook everything for multiple meals.

Respected Contributor

I have saved a lot of money simply shopping Aldi's for basic groceries.  Granted, not everything can be found there, but what you do get is cheaper per item than in any grocery store and I find equal to or better in quality.  The amount of savings adds up quickly with each item purchased there.  You'll surprise yourself with how much you get for what you spend.    

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

We buy very little at the "regular" supermarket and now do the majority of our shopping at Aldi and Lidl.

Sometimes their brand may not be as flavorful as a national brand but not enough to say I'm never buying that again.  

You won't know if you like something until you try it.  The only thing I can think of right now that we will not buy from either of them again is their cold cereal.

Respected Contributor

As others have said Aldi is a good place to save money.  But even the more expensive stores usually have " 3 day sales" or the likes which get shoppers in the door. just be strong and get only what you plan to.  Market Basket is a good place too.

I have started Shopping my Pantry from all the things I stocked up on at the start of all this. 

A few stores have next weeks previews so I can scope them out and devise a meal plan in advance for whats going to be on sale.

A Food Saver sealer is really a good investment for meat.  If you find a good deal you can pack the extra up and have it available for later meal plans.

Also I used to shop every week.  Now I limit myself to every 2 or 3 weeks.  After a few weeks of tuna sandwiches at the end of the week you start to do a REALLY Good Job of planning ahead!

Happy Hunting!

Honored Contributor

I order my groceries online and pick them up. It keeps me from adding things I happen to see and makes me think about what I'm buying when I look at the total dollar amount before I pay.

Esteemed Contributor

Mostly I exercise my NO power.  Just want it--no; need it--maybe; must have it--yes.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

Aldi just opened a few stores in Arizona but I've never been because the nearest one is probably 30 minutes away so any savings would be offset in gas so I shop at Walmart, Frys (Kroger) or if I don't want to deal with it I just go to Bashas.