Honored Contributor

Re: How are you keeping your grocery buying costs down?

Since I have downsized, both in living spaces and people--just my DD and me now--I don't order/buy huge amounts of anything anymore--just what I know we can eat up in a few days--have a small refer with small top freezer., so not alot can be stored. used to have a full refer and separate freezer that I could load up--so its the small sizes of most everything and only 2 or 3 pieces of produce and meat. Doesn't save any money buying in large amounts if I end up tossing it. I find that the flyers that used to be full of coupons and special deals, are not that great anymore--but I order online 90% of the time and can get some good deals. I still like to shop for my own produce tho--we do that on the weekends at the stores--

Respected Contributor

By eating less Woman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Only change is to go fully pickup.  Just get what I always did.

It does make me plan meals for the two weeks, that is a struggle 😝

Super Contributor

Gardening beds. We now have six and they help keep cost down plus they do not go through the radiation process that many vegetables do to extend their store life. This kills nutrients. We then freeze and can some like vegtable soups. The shortages last year prompted me to increase what we grow. 

Floral Pillow
Honored Contributor

I stock for a year, and buy many things, only once a year, at their lowest sale price. Stocking ahead allows you to never have to pay full price for most things. 

That said, I'm eating as much fresh fruit and veggies as possible in the last 6 months or so, and have begun juicing my own citrus blend, so I'm spending a lot more in that area, because I'm buying everything I want each week in fresh fruits and veggies, and not concerning myself with the price at all.

We have reached the age and the financial level where we can afford to do it, and we are. It does feel a bit awkward, after being so sale driven for decades, but I'm loving going into the produce department, and buying what I want and as much as I want. Some weeks that is the only department I'm shopping in. The rest of the store, I"m still a tightwad, though, only buying on sale.

Honored Contributor

My husband does all the shopping.  He is the most frugal man I know & we eat WELL!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

Only 2 of us so our grocery bill is low.  I rarely buy lunch meat or prepared foods.

The days of full meals taper off in the summer months.  I will make blt, fish, salads or something light for dinner.  I will say fruits & fresh vegs are the bulk of my bill -- produce is not cheap in FL grocery stores (plus not that good either☹️).  I go to farm stand sometimes 2-3/week and a fish/meat market where everything is fresh.

Tonight we had scallops, rice pilaf and fresh spinach.  I made a small caprese salad because I was in the mood for it.  Tomorrow I'm going to make my favorite tomato/onion/cucumber salad.

Lunch is usually chopped antipasto or chopped salad w/hb eggs, tuna.

I am getting to the bottom of the freezer after filling it for the pandemic -- slowly we are eating out again.  I don't cook. Fri-Saturday, but, Sunday I'll make a nice dinner.

My pantry is slowly becoming depleted😃.  Hopefully within next month I'll have sparse shelf's. 

Eating lighter is healthy for both of us🙂