Respected Contributor

Re: How are you keeping your grocery buying costs down?

I have a teenager. He’s an appetite with feet. Meal planning keeps us from getting take out too often, but otherwise I’m blessed to joy have to pay too much attention to my grocery budget.
Honored Contributor

I am looking for more Bogo's, more coupons, more sales as I have time.  Groceries have gone up by 33% to 50% in our area since February.  We are definitely in an inflationary period.

Respected Contributor

@Luvsmyfam 

I understand the quarter hunt but now every car in our household has a spot for an Aldi quarter.  DH finally caught on that its a necessity.

Respected Contributor

I never bought groceries at Wal-Mart before the pandemic.  With grocery pickup available I quickly changed my habits and there has been some savings.  I tend to go between Aldi and Wal-Mart.  Some items in between from my local grocer, concentrating on sale items and items that I favor. I have to watch myself on multiple shopping because I go wild.

Honored Contributor

I wish I could find anything I wanted at Aldi.  They are always out of milk, out of eggs, produce looks like last month's and there is a paucity of basic staples like flour, sugar, etc.  Although I only buy sugar about every 2-3 years, when I need it, I dont' want it clumped up from dampness and same with flour.  What do you buy there that seems fresh and is a savings.

Respected Contributor

@NonametodayI Do believe some Aldi's are better than others.  Ours usually has good produce.  Mushrooms, asparagus, and grapes are usually good quality and less expensive.  I like their canned Tuna.  I think Their chocolate is good.   They usually have organic milk, and Irish butter for less than other stores.  Not a fan of their cottage cheese.  I Have not tried their meat.  I have fun going down the home goods Isle.  Found a Little set of tongs and a Pasta pot with a drainer and steamer insert  that I use all the time.  It's not the Prettiest of stores but you can find some things for the best price around. 

Esteemed Contributor

I really haven't noticed a rise in prices. I just buy what I want.

Honored Contributor

Paper goods, cleaning supplies and some frozen goods I buy at Costco.  Everything is giant sized and reasonably priced so it goes a long way.

As for produce, meat & poultry I buy it from the local farmer's market.  It's a bit more expensive but good quality and keeps me from buying boxed processed foods.  Most of my meals are from scratch unless I'm getting take out.

I only occasionally go to the local super market....it's been probably 6 weeks since I last went.

Honored Contributor

This probably sounds odd, but it's true.   I noticed that the price of groceries had really started going up in the last couple of years so I started going every other week, instead of every week.  Ok, the odd part - either way I spend the same number of dollars.     It had gotten to the point that it was costing me $100 to $125 each time so now I spend that amt every other week, instead of every week.

It's probably partly because there is plenty of food in my house, as I vac-seal and freeze a lot of stuff plus I have a pretty large supply of stuff like chicken fried chicken (from QVC), from when I had it on AD.  Those, of course, are also vac-sealed.

So, if I go to the store, I'm buying the same things either way to supplement what I already have.   I have two refrigerator-freezers plus one small chest freezer.  I imagine I wouldn't have as much stuff if I just had the one refrigerator, especially because I have  a LOT in those freezers.  It's kind of a vicious circle because I think that if I let it go down to having just a week or two supply of food something would trigger in me, probably from the childhood of not having much food.  It feels like it's a security blanket.

Respected Contributor

Food Shopping just not my thing.  So i do WM pickup for Paper products and Laundry stuff. Big containers of decaf coffee, bird food. 

Every 2 weeks WM in store for HBA,pantry, boxed canned shelf staples.their shoppers aren't great at picking stuff and forget items.  Don't care much for their produce and never chicken or meat. going early midweek, very few shoppers then.

Next stop Aldi.  In and out, i get the same stuff. sourdough bread,  variety of cheeses,  smoked salmon, produce if it looks good.  Right now they have some beautiful asparagus, don't let the sealed bag deter you.  Like to buy the boneless chicken, the packages usually contain uniform size pieces, they are sealed well.   take/bake pizzas are good.  seltzers and french or Italian roast coffee.   don't buy beef or fish there, but they do have nice pork ribs and sometimes pork butts for pulled pork.   

local meat market for hamburg and fish. Summer farmstands or backyard garden for veggies.