Esteemed Contributor

Re: How are you keeping your grocery buying costs down?

@qualitygal  My husband and I are retired and live quite comfortably ~ not rich, but comfortable. I am frugile by nature; however, food is not where I worry about costs. We buy what we want and like. 

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Trusted Contributor

I agree with the person that mentioned buying healthy food.  We are what we eat.  So to that end.  I have found that the most economical food is also the most healthy.  Whole food that must be prepared at home: produce, bulk section grains, cheaper cuts of meat.  

Although, I don't eat a lot of animal products.  I know most people do.  So my advice is to avoid processed convenience foods.  The box dinners, prepared foods, convenience foods.  If you can buy in bulk when you find a deal, that's they way to go.  

I make things from scratch.  I am from the age, where we still took home econ. in school.  And a lot of those tips still hold true.... add more less expensive ingredients to a small amount of an expensive ingredients.  Like  adding bread crumbs, rice, barley, pasta to meat dishes.

Save scraps of veggies and bones to make your own stock.  Cook with spices to make things more flavorful in place of a lot of meat and fat.  

I also think looking at the circular each week and shopping multiple times a week at different stores can help reduce costs.  Because I like a lot of fruit and veggies, I am already going to the store more than once a week.  (who wants old lettuce? lol)

Esteemed Contributor

I just suck it up and pay.

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

I just suck it up and pay.

@shaggygirl me too.  Not that I have much to do so time isn't an issue but I don't want to spend my time "chasing groceries" all over town just to maybe save a little money.

I've been to Aldi's twice- not a fan and we recently got a Lidl and once was enough for that.  So I just go to Publix and buy the groceries. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

(thread title)

@qualitygal 

Buying less, and buying more when on sale.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

oh I agree panda123.aldis is a great place for basics.ive never tried their beef,but have bought spiral ham for a holiday.what I don't like,is having to put a quarter to remove cart.i don't always have change

Respected Contributor

My Mom told me years ago....know your prices.  I shop Kroger sales ad and have the APP on my phone for digital coupons.  At Publix, I really take of advantage of the BOGO's.  Publix also has an APP with digital coupons.  I buy meat when it's on sale or BOGO.  Can't beat it when chicken is BOGO at Publix.  Then I freeze in individual portions.  I like Walmart for can goods and some other things.  Ball Park hot dogs are $3.24 at Walmart.  At Kroger or Publix, they are nearly $5 (when not on sale or BOGO).  A large can of Pam cooking spray is $3.44 at Walmart, at Kroger it's $3.29 for a small can on sale.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

While I know many have  low fixed incomes and if I had to save money in order to buy groceries I would find ways but I cannot see wasting time and gas driving around to get the best prices on things.  I do like to get sale items where I shop but never liked to use coupons as too much time wasted.  We have never eaten out much which is costly, don't travel or gamble so no real need to go out of my way to try to save money on groceries that I want.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been ordering online and picking up curbside, and I will often have two grocery store websites open at the same time so I can compare pricing while I shop. In doing so I find that Walmart usually has the best prices, and I mix brand names and generics - I've learned what products can be substituted with no loss of quality or flavor. I created a pantry and keep it well stocked , and I buy meat in large packages and then use my Foodsaver to vacuum seal portions. I have a second upright freezer where I keep frozen veg, meat, etc.

I don't use coupons nor do I shop at multiple stores, but I keep an eye on sales of what I regularly use/need.

I shop about every 3 weeks but usually just for fresh basics unless my pantry/freezer inventory needs restocking. My Mom is in a residential care home and she has certain foods she likes, so on occasion I will add those goodies to my list and drop them off for her - this may add to the bill from time to time but no big deal.

Esteemed Contributor

Since my son  moved out last Summer my grocery bill has gone down significantly. I don't shop at Aldi. Was in there a few times & don't care for it.

I shop at 2 local supermarkets. I buy what I want. If something I use often is on sale I buy extra.There are certain brands DH & I prefer & don't mind paying more for them.

Now that we are fully vaccinated we have gone back to indoor dining.So I will be buying even less.