Respected Contributor

Re: How are you getting through this if you live alone

Well, instead of finishing my knitting project, I decided to read a "good" book.

Whatever you do .. DON'T read anything depressing.

Back to knitting ...

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

I'm working from home full time, so my weekdays go by pretty fast with lots of interaction and phone meetings.

My friends purchased a zoom account and we meeting at different times to chat for a few minutes here and there (we're all working from home full time and many have small kids so they are even busier).

I am crafting on the weekends.  I have two afghans I'm crocheting based on availability of yarn.  I have an embroidery kit going, too.  I haven't done either of these in decades, so it's been nice to get back into it.  It's important to buy ahead due to slow shipping and availability.  Amazon had a limited amount of the yarn I picked out so I had to go to the manufacturer to get the rest and they are backed up due to demand and being closed for a few weeks.

Jigsaw puzzled are at a premium.  I've ordered jigsaw puzzles directly from Springbok they are shipping as fast as they can due to very high demand.  They should be here this week.

I'm doing a lot of cooking, some more complicated things that I love that take a lot of time to make.

My house is clean and I just did a cleaning and organizing in January so there's not much to do there other than upkeep.  I did my windows the last two weekends.

I just keep finding things to do for weekends so that I have a variety.

I do not watch the news other than CNBC.  I find the business channels easier to watch because businesses are talking about what good things they are doing right now, scientific research, how certain companies are planning for the future and it's just an overall much more positive/hopeful news cycle.  I follow our local new radio station on Twitter and that's how I stay informed.

I also stay off all of the threads on here posting about what they just heard/read.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@ScarletDove  you have been through a lot. Didn't know a person could contract something so serious from a young child.

There have been a lot of great suggestions on this thread. Thanks to all who contributed.

Super Contributor

Nothing has changed much for me since I've happily been living alone for some time with just my kitty who loves me to no end and requires lots of affection and attention.  I have always gone out most days on my neighborhood walks for the exercise which I still continue to do.  What has changed for me though is that I no longer go out anywhere except to the grocery store like once a week and no mall shopping.  That's fine since I'm waiting for this virus to take a hike here in Maryland and it will in due time (I hope).  And I'm also staying in contact with other family members via my computer/smart phone.  I'm functioning in a waiting mode I guess is what you would call it.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntG wrote:

@ScarletDove  you have been through a lot. Didn't know a person could contract something so serious from a young child.

There have been a lot of great suggestions on this thread. Thanks to all who contributed.

@AuntG  It started with what I thought was strep on NewYearsEve.  The dr at hospital wanted to know where I had been over the last week and to whom I had been exposed, considering the 4yr old was coughing and sneezing, dr said more than likely it came from the child; this bacterium is carried by many children and adults in nose and throat who never get sick, but those who do get sick are usually children/adults/elderly with underlying medical problems (I was anemic, 69). I was contagious until 24hrs of IV antibiotics in hospital. All the docs and nurses wore hazard suits and I was in isolation during the first 24 hrs. I was healthier prior to getting Haemophilus, now I am immuno compromised.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Trusted Contributor

Well I'm still working even though not getting a lot done.  I don't dwell on the news.  I still see family and talk to friends, etc.  The worst is I'm cut off from my gym!!  I am used to living alone and prefer it that way.  Take care!

If you can dream it you can do it--Walt Disney
Valued Contributor

@cbrite  I am also isolating alone at home. Some days are definitely better than others. 

Your post truly touched me and I'm happy to hear you have stayed in touch with your doctor. Have you asked him/her for info about senior outreach services? I'm not sure what area you live in, but I'd be happy to do a search for you if you wanted to share. It would give me something to do!

You are not alone in your feelings of isolation and shut down. All we can each do is just make it through one day at a time. My two cats help keep me focused on the day to day requirements of their lives, and the companionship and their entertainment value helps tremendously. Still, it's not the same as human contact. I miss my family/my child a lot. 

Please keep posting here at reaching out to others. Some days I just read here. Sometimes I post. But every single day it helps me know there are others in this with me too. 

Much love going out your way---

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

@gellen wrote:

I talk to my family and friends but am really struggling every day.  I have also spoken to my doctor.  Any thoughts or ideas much appreciated.  Thanks,

I understand, I'm in the same situation.  I'll tell you what I'm doing though it may or may not work for you.

• Read.
  • Take walks.  My dog and I walk in a nearby, beautiful, cemetery.  I'm surprised more people aren't there.  Sometimes a friend and her dog join me and we walk on opposite sides of the roads. My dog and I also walk up and down our street a few times a day.
  • Yard work.  I go into some zen mode when working in the yard so it's a great distraction from news and being alone.
  • Pray.  Attend virtual services.
  • Find something you have never watched on tv.  I haven't done pay per view yet but have looked at the listings.  I record my favorite shows for when I'm bored out of my mind.
  • Cook healthy meals.
  • Order groceries online.  One of the midwest chains nonw offers free delivery for people over 60 or at risk.  I even got my 88 yr old dad doing this.
  • Enjoy the sun.  Sit on your patio or deck on nice days.  Revel in the beauty around you.
  • Have virtual coffee time with friends and family.
  • I have a couple of friends who have big yards.  We take our own chairs and lunches and sit 12 feet apart and eat/talk.
  • My church is open during certain hours each day.  I stop by once a week for some quiet reflection and peaceful thinking.  There is usually no one else there when I go.
  • I baked for the first time in years.
  • I've been taking care of my elderly dad and disabled sister for a few years now.  I drive to their house, call them from the car.  They sit on the patio while I stay in my car and we chat for a bit.  We're probably 20 feet apart.  They call me a couple of times a day and I always call them at least once each day.
  • The only person I've let in my house is the son who still lives in this city and he usually stays in the entry way.   

It is difficult to be alone all the time during this pandemic.  I feel for you.  

Esteemed Contributor

@cbrite @Please come to the forum for a chat.  Plenty of people here ready to talk, anytime.