Honored Contributor

Re: How are you getting through this if you live alone

If it weren't for knitting, I would go absolutely crazy!!  I belong to 2 church knitting groups and so far I have bagsful of items to be donated when it is safe.  I also listen to a classical music station which I find very relaxing.  And most important, I do not watch the news, only read the headlines in the Chicago Tribune and NY Times.  I do the puzzles and go out twice a week for food.  Somehow, the days pass pretty quickly.  I try not to think about the possibilities of what life may be like when this virus is "over."  That is too depressing.

Respected Contributor

From the post of a friend from facebook Isolation Well Being.JPG

Esteemed Contributor

I don't live alone. I live with my DH & son.I feel alone a lot because DH works from home so I don't see much of him between 7:00am & 6:00pm. My son just finished his semester on line & still has his job from home.So I don't see much of him either.

I'm lonely & depressed.A lot of major family events/ celebrations were cancelled or are up in the air. 
  I watch very little news because it depresses me more. I just watch my Governor's daily briefing.
  Living in a bubble is doing a number on my head. I try to take on home projects but lose interest & abandon them.I honestly don't know how we are ever going to get back to normal.

I miss not being able to hug my loved ones.I miss my friends.Texting & talking on the phone isn't the same as human contact.

I don't want to upset anyone but my faith in God is wavering. I don't understand how if there is a God how he can allow all this suffering. A lot of good people are hurting.

Honored Contributor

This board offers some interaction.
Honored Contributor

I'd rather be alone then to have a housefull of people at least if it's just you and your husband he can go to one room and me in the other.

We all would have something to carry on about if we had kids all home and screaming and whining all day long with their routine disrupted. Eating and trying to afford to buy groceries weekly. Running out or short on toliet paper and clogging up your commodes.   I see what other people are going thru and I feel mighty lucky.

My friend has a mother who is dying in a nursing home from congestive heart failure she's not allowed to be with her. Not letting anybody in.

She can only talk to her by phone the mother will die alone.

Even if she was allowed to visit it would be to see her from behind glass.

She's out of her mind. Just so sad.

Gives you a new perspective...........

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been alone for 4 weeks.  The days and weeks just sort of blur together.  One of the most important things I do is get out of bed at my regular time, exercise, have my coffee and get dressed.

I've cleaned, organized, knitted and have watched A LOT of Netflix and Prime.  I've talked with my husband about every other day. I've talked with other family members and friends a few times a week.

There have been a number of medical tele-conference calls, as well as actual appointments.

I am lucky to live at the Jersey shore and walks along the beach are still allowed. (you cannot walk on the boardwalk. [which in our residential community is more like a wooden sidewalk]) The sun is out today (finally) so I plan to be outside as much as possible.

Our church has daily Mass online and I watch often.

Truthfully, I am surprised how quickly the time has past.

Esteemed Contributor

Good suggestions here.

Walk, weather permitting, in the morning and evening, In your neighborhood or maybe around a school athletic track as I know most parks are closed. Morning & evening are the least crowded times- social distancing.

Limit exposure to TV news!! Not more than 5 minutes/ day.

Early to bed & early to rise each day.

Have a plan for each day. Something to clean, something to watch, something to read, something to cook or bake, someone to call. Grooming. You decide how long for each task. Good news is if you don't complete a task from your list, it can wait until tomorrow. Write your list. 

Start planning a garden or even a planter. It will give you something to watch grow over the coming days, weeks and months. Even just a planter of flowers is good! I don't have a yard but I do have a small "garden deck" Even a front stoop of a building will work!

Daily prayer and gratitude. You are not alone. You are not hospitalized.

Do a puzzle and/ or a craft.

One day at a time. Gratitude for what you have. Be well

I live alone and I am always grateful for my dog and his unconditional love.

Esteemed Contributor

I read in the newspaper that exercise is good for the muscles and helps fend off the virus. I walk my dogs at least three times daily. My dogs help me since I'm hearing disabled, they are my ears! 

My son has an Ap for his phone for walking and he has several programmed loops that he does. He's had stents in  his heart and walking is good for him. He says it's relieved the stress of closing his business. 
  I do Tai Chi. Slow movements with breaths in through the nose and out through the mouth. It's wonderful doing it outside, and can be done even in your mind. It helps me sleep.
  I read my bible daily and pray when I feel lonely. I bought prayer boxes for friends & my granddaughter & myself from the dollar store the day before quarantine. You can make one with small sheets of paper. When I'm really sad I write a prayer or feeling down, and put it in the box.  It helps!
  We are strong and can do this, we can have faith and hope. We are alone together!

Esteemed Contributor

I live alone but I’ve been going into work Monday through Friday so that helps a lot. I love working on the yard and that takes a lot of my time.  I take Khloe for walks and watch TV.