Valued Contributor

Re: How are you getting through this if you live alone

I am still working full time, now from home. I do virtual lunches and happy hours with work colleagues. I also Facetime with friends and do virtual happy hour using zoom or MS teams. Under the circumstances, these are working great, and while nothing can replace the face to face interaction, I am doing well. I also talk to other friends and family members quite often over the phone. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624  Our temperature is suppposed to hit 102 degrees this week We will be 20+ degrees above normal all week. I hope it doesn't last and that it cools down again. I live west of AZ, so our heat spell is likely headed your way.

When it's that hot out (and hotter), I'm happy to be in the house. I can always find something that needs to be done. And for enjoyment, I listen to music, watch movies, read, work on my current novel, and stay in contact with family & friends. Every few days though - usually when there's something in the news - I feel quite lonely. Then my 2 dogs will either want to go outside or eat and take my mind off the situation. It's just 1 day at a time for me.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I have been self quarantined since the very beginning of this - I can't even remember how long.  I live alone and I am glad I do.  I look at the things I am thankful for - I live in a nice house along side a large lake with trees all around.  It is spring so my yard is full of blooming daffodils and rhododendrons.  The dogwood and ginkgo trees are starting to get green. All I am being asked to do is to stay in my house.  That doesn't seem like much to complain about.  I limit TV news.  I am a big reader so with the library closed I have started buying books from Amazon.  

I don't think my life will go back to how it was before this.  I can't imagine being comfortable going back to yoga class, movies, plays, concerts, out to lunch and dinner until there is a proven vaccine.  Until then I will continue having my groceries delivered and using Amazon for anything else I need.  

Just reading that, @DiAnne, helped me to relax. :-)

And books? They are essential for me, I, too, buy mine on Amazon, ofter "very good" or "like new" from highly rated sellers. Right now I have enough books to last me a very long time.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I'm getting through it day by day.  March and April were supposed to be my travel months, so I've been very bored and lonely.  

To make matters worse, I'm living in a short term rental while waiting for my new home to be finished.  Most of my possessions are in storage.  How I'd love to have things like my sewing machine, my exercise bike, my ice cream maker!

Seeing the house get finished and shopping online for new things for it, might be the only things keeping me sane at this time.  

Later today, I have a Zoom session scheduled with four of my siblings.  I'm sure that will lift my spirits!

Trusted Contributor

Best thing to do if you feel that way is to start a Grateful Journal. It might just seem like a senseless exercise but after doing it for a while you will feel differently. Also google "guided meditation" and do that daily as well.  It will give you a sense of peace and relaxation.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Respected Contributor

My life hasn't changed drastically (I live alone). I do crafts daily, & always have. I'm not a big shopper, so it certainly hasn't affected me in that way. I've a had a bit of depression, due to not seeing friends, even tho that wasn't an every day thing, before this mess, either. It doesn't bother me to stay home, I'm a home body, by nature. When I feel depressed, I go outside awhile & soak in sun & air. I'm not much of an outside person either, but the fresh air can certainly help when feeling down. This past week, I spent a lot of time outside, just cleaning up. It was amazing how good it felt to be outside. I'm an only child (67), so I'm used to being alone, lol.

I miss going to eat with friends. Many friends are this harder than me, & I am respecting their feelings to stay  home. If there's somewhere I want to, & it's open, I'm going!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DiAnne  Sounds like you live in one beautiful spot on a lake with woods around you.  I, too, am grateful for what I have around me...I back up to Rock Creek Park and am fortunate to be exposed to a multitude of wildlife and birds....amazing and gorgeous.  The best part right now is that Beach Drive through Rock Creek Park areas is shut down from Friday 6pm to Sunday 6pm for the purpose of people being able to walk Beach Drive and distance.  I also see it as a respite for the wildlife from all the cars at night and it is wonderful not to hear cars.

Honored Contributor

I'm not having any issues at all.  Life goes on ....

I have a several interests that keep me busy - my knitting / crocheting / reading / research.  I'm happy to have the extra time.

So far this "house arrest" has produced two new sweaters, re-designed one that I made last year, two charity afghans .... I also have a couple of other works in progress.  My SIL in WV has made a couple of crocheted blankets and just started another one yesterday.  

I have a few pairs of pants that need to have the pockets removed/sewn closed - another project that needs to be done.  

I've reorganized my kitchen cabinets, and going to do the clothes closets next week.  

I live in Manhattan in a high rise apartment complex in a residential neighborhood.  I have thousands of "very close" neighbors.  I see people in the laundry room, at the mail box, in the park around the corner, etc.

I go for a walk around the park for 1/2 an hour every day (per doctor's orders) since my PT has been closed, and the gym is closed.  Nice days - I'll sit in the park and read for a while and get fresh air.

I'm in almost constant contact with friends and family via email and DM (direct messaging). 

I'm even "meeting" some "new" cousins.  We found each other via Ancestry and Family Tree DNA.  Recently reunited via Ancestry with a first cousin that I hadn't seen in about 20 years!

Then, there's the telephone ...

I do miss all our church and charity activities ... but I'm in contact with everyone and still working on charity projects.  About an hour ago, one of our knitters dropped off some of her finished items to be washed, blocked and packaged.  We're well stocked for when we re-open.

Our Parish is great - regular emails and videos.  Prayer requests are shared as they come in.  

Obviously I miss being able to go to Mass, and the fellowship of our ministry meetings.  In the meantime - there's EWTN, St. Patrick's website, our Parish website, "Catholic" Twitter, and any number of priests who are steaming Masses regularly.  

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

@Kachina624  Our temperature is suppposed to hit 102 degrees this week We will be 20+ degrees above normal all week. I hope it doesn't last and that it cools down again. I live west of AZ, so our heat spell is likely headed your way.

When it's that hot out (and hotter), I'm happy to be in the house. I can always find something that needs to be done. And for enjoyment, I listen to music, watch movies, read, work on my current novel, and stay in contact with family & friends. Every few days though - usually when there's something in the news - I feel quite lonely. Then my 2 dogs will either want to go outside or eat and take my mind off the situation. It's just 1 day at a time for me.

@Desert Lily    It's kind of like Minnesota in January, isn't it?  Hibernate.  I can't get my swamp cooler turned on until Wednesday so I'll have a couple of warm days but the nights are still chilly so the house isn't too bad.  This came about so fast and is so unusual.  It's about a month early.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624  I agree. I think our weather is oppressive in the summer and keeps us indoors during that time of year like Minnesota & other upper northern states are icy cold in winter and people stay indoors a lot then. This will be the very 1st time we hit 100 degrees in April, and it'll be 20 degrees above normal next week. I dislike the extreme heat and would like to move back east this year if at all possible.