Respected Contributor

Re: How are you getting through this if you live alone

[ Edited ]

I looked at my calendar...the last time I was physically with other people was March 16.

My small city has been hit pretty heavily, and one of our nursing homes was named as a hub for Covid patients.  I'm extra cautious about going anywhere.  Only do grocery pickup...not in the store.  

I do ok in the daytime.  Shower, get dressed and put on a bit of makeup each day.  Experiment with hot rollers and other tools to make my hair look better (lol!).  Watch a lot of old tv series reruns.  Read.  Pray (I set a timer on my phone to remind me each night at 9!).  

I go for a walk around the block on nice days, wearing a mask.  Make a point to call or video chat with a friend or family member most days.  My kids and grands are 3 hours from me.  Spoke with my son for over an hour this morning.

My church is now streaming Mass each week, so I watch that Saturday night or Sunday morning.  I have a ukulele...signed up for the 3 months of free lessons Fender offered.  That's fun.  I do crossword puzzles.

My sleep is screwy, and I sometimes get very anxious at night.  Occasionally I take a Xanax.  Ordered some CBD oil....curious to see if it helps the anxiety. I don't need anything very often...but sometimes I do.

Hang in there everyone.  🌷

Honored Contributor

I'm doing just fine.  In the best of times, I'm mostly alone and don't go much so it's "business as usual" for me.  I talk to my newly retired sister in PA., several times a week, email friends and talk to my 2 dogs.  I do things in the yard and walk the dogs on my mobility scooter around the neighborhood.  I have plenty to do.

The only thing depressing me is the weather.  We're supposed to have an unseasonably hot spell settle in this coming week.  Next week-end it's supposed to be 90°, the earliest time on record.  I hate that.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have lived alone for 25 yrs, not doing anything more or less than prior to our current mandated isolation, distancing, etc.  Having had Haemophilus Influenza contracted from a 4yr old Christmas about 9 yrs ago, what I went through being hospitalized, pseudogout flare up in ankle after home from hospital likely triggered by sepsis and walking hindered abt 10 days, had to self-IV antibiotic through a PICC line every 12 hrs for 2 wks, labs every wk, recovery and working from home 2 months, am aware of distancing, isolation, need to wear gloves/mask in public during recovery.  During that time, we had 2 nasty blizzards several wks apart in the DC area, power out several days and it did not help my recovery. The result of Haemophilus was becoming immune compromised so I routinely watch everyone and everything around me. I am used to keeping my distance around children and people I do not know for my own health, and now it is for everyone's health.  I am quite aware of how to sanitize, during that episode learned about home grocery delivery, obtain most paper staples on auto-delivery from Amazon, etc. etc, so I was prepared prior to our mandated shutdown.

Now retired, I am occupied with my Maxwell and Angus cats, garden, knit, cook/bake from scratch due to renal diet restrictions, bake special breads for senior shutin who lives near, take online courses and have not watched network or cable news in any form for about the last 10 yrs; pick news sources via online, tablet or stream radio via Amazon Echos through the house.

Now, go to grocer every 2 wks during special hrs for seniors, wear mask/gloves/bag my own groceries and return home; I refuse to be fearful of contracting a viral flu. 

Respected Contributor

Remind yourself it's your responsiblity to self care so keep to a routine, keep your mind active...there are so many wonderful opportunities online, search for ways to volunteer from your home, always count your blessings & be kind to yourself, you deserve to be healthy & happy. Be well @gellen.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gellen wrote:

I talk to my family and friends but am really struggling every day.  I have also spoken to my doctor.  Any thoughts or ideas much appreciated.  Thanks,

======================================================

I have to keep reminding myself to use my time constructively ...

If I loaf too long, my anxiety attacks become unbearable and I have to go for a WALK.

WALKING helps a lot.

I also play a little psychological game with myself:

My Game Question: When you were griping about having to go to work, what would you rather have been doing?

Whatever the answer is, that's what I do.

I've got a TON of things I need to do.

(I've got a major hoarding problem and I just finished unhoarding some junk.) 

When I worked, I always had a ton of things "I'd rather be doing".

So, now, I do those things.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Highlighted
Super Contributor

I live alone also. I need human interaction. Talking on the phone isn't the same. I talk to my sister daily, sometimes multiple times a day. Call my brother once a week. Talk to friends. Most of them are teaching online so I don't visit with them often. Walk daily around the neighborhood in the morning. Accomplish at least one or two chores everyday. Limit trips to grocery store and laundromat to twice a week. Taking a drive didn't do much for me. I read every afternoon. Afternoons are the hardest for me. They drag on forever. I make list of things I need to replace or purchase new for the house. I bought some word searches at Dollar Tree and have adult coloring books for when I cared for my Mom. I like the list that was printed for constructive things to do each day. I lost my cat in October and I am not ready for another pet. Pets do help with loneliness. I don't know if I am lonely or just stir crazy. I am not the type that has to always be on the go but the sameness day after day is depressing. I am grateful that my family is well and that I have money for food and bills. The scenarios that are playing out where loved ones are dying alone in hospitals and nursing homes daily is heartbreaking. I cared for my mother for years. To think I couldn't be with her during the multiple ER visits and hospitalizations, I would have lost my mind or hurt someone. I am a planner so I would make a list of things to do each day.

Trusted Contributor

Good thread. I live alone and keep myself busy all day.   I love going on the computer, talking to my sister and friends on the phone, reading.  Sometimes I do online puzzles, as they keep my mind off the virus for awhile because I really have to concentrate.    

Valued Contributor

I keep my own statistics each day on each state's progross with the virus. That takes a lot of time but really helps me to get the picture. I read a ton of news. Never used too.... that takes a lot of time. I read a lot of fiction and listen to audio books. Unfortunately I am eating more, not excersizing and not doing stuff around the house. That is my depression. I am gradually increasing my dose of antidepressant with MD's guidance. Oh and my two cats help a lot. 

Respected Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@gellen wrote:

I talk to my family and friends but am really struggling every day.  I have also spoken to my doctor.  Any thoughts or ideas much appreciated.  Thanks,

======================================================

I have to keep reminding myself to use my time constructively ...

If I loaf too long, my anxiety attacks become unbearable and I have to go for a WALK.

WALKING helps a lot.

I also play a little psychological game with myself:

My Game Question: When you were griping about having to go to work, what would you rather have been doing?

Whatever the answer is, that's what I do.

I've got a TON of things I need to do.

(I've got a major hoarding problem and I just finished unhoarding some junk.) 

When I worked, I always had a ton of things "I'd rather be doing".

So, now, I do those things.

==============================

Rested for an hour after sorting out old clothes (boring).

NOW, I'm knitting.

Do you knit or crochet?

For me, sitting and fiddling with yarn is very relaxing.

You're making something, so, it's constructive use of your time.

There's nothing I hate more than having dusk creep up on me in the evenings, and I've done nothing all day.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

I have been self quarantined since the very beginning of this - I can't even remember how long.  I live alone and I am glad I do.  I look at the things I am thankful for - I live in a nice house along side a large lake with trees all around.  It is spring so my yard is full of blooming daffodils and rhododendrons.  The dogwood and ginkgo trees are starting to get green. All I am being asked to do is to stay in my house.  That doesn't seem like much to complain about.  I limit TV news.  I am a big reader so with the library closed I have started buying books from Amazon.  

I don't think my life will go back to how it was before this.  I can't imagine being comfortable going back to yoga class, movies, plays, concerts, out to lunch and dinner until there is a proven vaccine.  Until then I will continue having my groceries delivered and using Amazon for anything else I need.