Super Contributor

How are you getting through this if you live alone

I talk to my family and friends but am really struggling every day.  I have also spoken to my doctor.  Any thoughts or ideas much appreciated.  Thanks,

Respected Contributor

Re: How are you getting through this if you live alone

skype or other programs that allow you to see them is helpful

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Respected Contributor

I find myself waking up in a bad mood everyday.  I do so much research on line about this virus it is beginning/has been consuming most of my thought process from the time I wake up and I find all the different viewpoints and stats I'm researching so very interesting and different than what I'm being told by the American media.  I will only briefly watch the local evening news, mostly to get a weather update.

I just feel sad for the world at this time.  We just had Earth Day and we are in a sorry state of affairs here on this planet.  I just keep on keepin on.  That's it.  Cat Frustrated

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Trusted Contributor

Firstly, very sorry that you are struggling.

I myself have a fear of loneliness, not suggesting you do.

My dear mother-in-law helped me through an immensely difficult time by suggesting that I keep busy and try to help someone more in need than myself.

This was excellent advice, but putting it into practice right now will require extra planning.

Could you possibly check on neighbors for wellness or grocery shopping, providing it is safe for you to do so? Keeping social distancing and masking, etc while doing so may help you focus less on your thoughts.

If these options are not possible, meditation, prayer, exercise, learning a new talent or language might keep you occupied.

Sending prayers and happy thoughts your way.

Respected Contributor

I find taking a walk around our neighborhood helps.   Even though I stay away from other walkers just seeing other people (and dogs) out walking too makes me feel more connected. 

Honored Contributor

@TheMemphisVette   My best friend lives alone. She calls each morning and I call her at night to check in that she's OK. During the day, she's been doing a little light gardening around her place, doing some stretching on a YouTube video, reading a few books she had on her list, FaceTime w/ some family and friends. She watches movies on Netflix and naps in the afternoon to rest and relax. 

DH works all day, home 1/2 hr. for dinner and back upstairs to work, so I'm basically alone, too. I'm lucky that I have an art study to make jewelry and paint, but have not felt very motivated lately. I think it's important to feel OK if you're not busy all the time or are feeling a bit lonely. Many people are, too. I would suggest that if you get to a point that the loneliness is overwhelming, contact your physician. There are phone and video chats or they can refer you to counselors who can help. No need to suffer. Good luck and stay safe. 💕

Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

I find myself waking up in a bad mood everyday.  I do so much research on line about this virus it is beginning/has been consuming most of my thought process from the time I wake up and I find all the different viewpoints and stats I'm researching so very interesting and different than what I'm being told by the American media.  I will only briefly watch the local evening news, mostly to get a weather update.

I just feel sad for the world at this time.  We just had Earth Day and we are in a sorry state of affairs here on this planet.  I just keep on keepin on.  That's it.  Cat Frustrated

@jellyBEAN   I'm watching much less news/researching stats less often and turned to movies and music. 

Honored Contributor

If not for my dogs ,i have two i think i would be in bad shape mentally, i have had depression for many years.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Good for you, @gellen ,  for reaching out proactively during this trying time, admittedly difficult to face while living alone.  The excellent ideas already offered will, I believe, offer some direction. I'm keeping you in thoughts and prayers. Do keep exploring ways to stay connected, no matter what. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gellen   If you don't have a pet and think you can care for one, the shelters would love to provide you with a pal. Just something to consider. Molly sleeps w/ me, lays on the sofa next to me during the day while I watch TV or read and follows me through the house. I talk to her, too. I'd feel so alone without her now.

***Please be sure you're able to keep and care for it when your city reopens.