Honored Contributor

Re: How are you acting/ feeling different during this time?

Totally understand.  I think during this not normal time, we're bound to feel some of this. I do all I can, to not fall into that.  But, being retired, I'm pretty use to this being more the norm for myself.  There's a few things I can't do for now, but I know this time too will pass, and in the future, we'll be able to get out more. 

Thank goodness we aren't in winter, so we can walk outside and breathe other air.  You can in the winter too, if you're hearty.  So as soon as flowers and trees start to show it's Spring, we can feel a little better.  It still can be kind of gray here, off and on.  I so love a blue sky.

Hold tight, this too will pass, as all things do.

Honored Contributor

My mood changes daily. Wednesday, I was very blue and was close to tears all day. Yesterday, I am having hope with the news of a possible drug that could help. Every day my moods are up and down. I'm really limiting my news watching, that helps.

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

I am a teacher and a mother to two young girls (5 and 8).

When this all started last week, a lot of us (teachers) thought the decision to close schools was premature and overly dramatic.  However, we knew that they must have had a good reason for it and it wasn't just based on media hype.

We thought that this was going to be very temporary.  At first we were closed for a week and then they pushed it to two weeks.  A few days later they told us we would be returning on April 2nd.  We haven't received another closure update, but we all know it's going to be a lot longer than that.  There is talk that we won't be back for the remainder of the year.

I have many feelings:

1.  I am worried.  I am worried about the health of my family.  Not only for my immediate family, but for my parents as well.  My parents are over 60.  My mother is a healthcare worker, working in one of the busiest hospitals on Long Island.  My step-father is a Vietnam Vet with Parkinson's Disease and COPD.  He is VERY high risk.  I am scared for him.

2. I am scared.  I am scared at what I am seeing and hearing on the news.  When I hear this is "wartime mentality" and I see ships being sent in and colleges/beaches being used as hospitals and testing facilities, I know this is real.  I also know I am helpless.  I can't fix what is happening and I have very little control over anything right now.

3.  I am mad.  I am mad that people seem to be going crazy and losing their minds.  I am mad that I couldn't get certain things for my family from the supermarket (luckily, I have what I need now).  I am REALLY mad at what I saw on the news yesterday.  Spring Breakers in Florida are all over the beaches, partying, drinking, taking selfies, kissing, hugging, and saying that they "feel sorry  for older people" but they have to "live" their lives.  Really?!?  How stupid and selfish can you be?!? We're pretty much on lockdown and you're out there acting like fools.  I'm sure your parents are proud!

4.  I am bored.  I am home with my children (my husband still has to go to work several days a week, as his business is not completely closed).  We can go outside, but we can't go anywhere.  It's fun for a few days, but that gets old quickly... 

5.  I am sad.  I am sad for my girls.  My little one is in Kindergarten.  She was having such a wonderful year.  It was picture perfect for her!  She had so much to look forward to this spring and now that seems to be taken away from her.  Such an important year for a child and now that's gone... My older one is okay, but she was having an amazing year as well.  She LOVED her teacher this year.  She was learning SO much and was really coming into her own academically.  That sense of accomplishment is gone for her too...  I am also sad because my girls both have birthdays coming up - One is April and the other is in May.  Birthday parties have been canceled. Easter has been canceled and possibly Mother's Day too.  What disappointment for them, but they are amazingly understanding of it all.

6.  I am heartbroken.  I am heartbroken for my students.  I am a Kindergarten teacher and just like for my daughter, this is a milestone year for my students as well.  The end of the school year is one of the BEST times of the year.  The weather is getting nicer, we were supposed to have a Spring Show, Memorial Day Parade, End of Year Celebration, Field Day, etc.  We were going to raise ladybugs in science.  We were supposed to plant flowers from seeds.  We were supposed to make Mother's Day and Father's Day projects.  We were going to read different versions of famous fairy tales (so much fun!) and do things that would really get them excited about being in school.  That is all gone too.  Even if we go back, things will not be the same.  Large group events will surely be canceled.  At least we will be together, but now I am really not so sure.

7. I now have to face a new reality in my family:  I am a wife, a mother, a kindergarten teacher, a 3rd grade teacher, a PE teacher,an art teacher,  a religion teacher, and probably so many more things that I haven't even thought of yet!  I also have to be a virtual teacher for my own students. This is unprecedented in the world of education and I will do my best, but I am so unsure of everything!

I feel so many emotions right now, but I also must feel GRATEFUL.  I must remind myself to be grateful for my family and this time we get to spend together.  These hardships are only temporary.  One day soon, life will return to "normal."  This experience will make us stronger.  If we don't at least believe that, how else can we go on?

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

I think a lot of us are on edge! This is a hard time.  It's not just you feeling this way, so I don't know if that is helpful or not!  Whether we work or not, our lives and our way of lives have all changed!  The constant bombardment of the media causes anxiety if you watch it a lot.  I try to tune in for awhile to just see the newest developments and then I have to turn it off!  I then try to watch other things --- old t.v. shows, comdey shows, silly things which take my mind off of all of this!  

Yes, it is also a bit challenging when you are cooped up with someone or people 24/7.  Also, just knowing that you can't jump in your car and take off to go shopping or out to eat, or the library, or wherever, whenever you want, tends to make you feel caged and unhappy, and anxious.

I keep telling myself --- be patient, be patient --- this, too, shall pass.  It's going to be over soon and if we all stick together and do the right thing, it will be over all the sooner!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I let myself hear all the bad news and then I try to push it away for a few hours if I can by diverting attention to a game or show on TV. It seems like it is all you can hear or think about.  I used to think about some new item of makeup or skin care that I wanted or some new shoes or tops or whatever for the new season.  Now I think why.  I am not going out of the house except when absolutely necessary and who will care what someone is wearing.right now.   I turn on QVC to distract myself and I think who cares about whatever it is that they are showing.  It is like nothing matters anymore except for this crisis and getting through it. All I can do is pray and follow the rules.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9   You are so right, Just what I was thinking the last few days-about being like a train wreck thats hard to look away! I have begun to limit my time watching any news and it is helping. Yes even small things we get done is a good thing at this time Smiley Happy 

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

so now someone on tv called it the Chinese virus

pick a different tv program to interrupt  change it up

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden  I've been retired for about 10 years and what you are describing is exactly what happened to me the first day of my retirement.  I literally would bolt upright and bc of that I waited to file away my retirement papers bc I'd get up and look through them to make sure I really didn't have to go to work.  

Respected Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I find it difficult to keep focused on any one task.  Hence, I'm not being very productive.  

I'm working from home and also finding it very difficult to focus. I have asthma, so I'm staying inside and being super careful.

I'm more worried about my parents. Mom is 80 and has dementia. Dad is 82 and I love him, but he's in deep denial about her dementia. My sister, 48, lives with them and is mom's primary caretaker. I've had to call several times to explain that they should not go out unless absolutely necessary, but it's hard for dad to understand how serious this is. He's always felt that invulnerable thing and had the denial issues. 

I hate being so far away and unable to be much help. I've shown my sister how to order groceries and things online and hope they will do that. I know if she goes to the grocery store for them, she can bring the virus home with her. I'm so worried for all of them.

Super Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I see small things....

Last night I just felt sad... went to bed without supper. Unusual for me as I look forward to supper and never lose my appetite.    I just lose my appetite when sad.

I usually get up about 3:00 AM everyday.  This morning I slept in to about 6:30 AM.  Not normal for me at all... I woke up  from a bad dream actually... I was dreaming that I was late for work( I have been retired for 7 years) and was dreaming that I had to call my boss to explain why I was so late... THAT FEAR OF CALLING HIM woke me up!Woman LOL

I am kind of looking for symptoms now.  I NEVER get sick... and would know the moment I was coming down with something... so I kind of have this on the back of my mind now.  Worry about getting this virus. 

DH and I have been getting on each others nerves a bit more. Not totally unusual when both being retired we are with each other all the time, But, now that we are home much much more due to this virus, we are getting into little spats here and there over stupid things.   We get over it.. but, I can tell the bad news... the stock market loss.. etc is on our minds and we are stressed.

This is like something out of a movie.   Like you,  I am one to NEVER get sick

either.   About 3 weeks ago, something hit me like a freight train.   Fine all week and

then on a Sunday morning I woke up feeling totally zapped. 

I picked up a 

heavy, hacking cough.   I immediately called my employer to give her a 

heads up that something was amiss with me, and to please find someone to cover for me should it not go away within the next 24 hours.   It did not go away.   After 

day 5,  I took myself to a walk in clinic.   They asked me the questions such as have I travelled out of the country.    Which I had not.   They gave me a mask.  I went in , and they checked my temp, no fever,  my breathing.   A basic check up.  They gave me a prescirption for congestion and another to relieve coughing.   Fast forward to now,  I am feeling better,  but still tire easily.     So I rest when my body tells me to.

I see people coming together to help the less fortunate out there.  It all seems so surreal   I have many things I can be doing here at home, but 

right now am taking this time to rest up.    I am happy to see the planet 

is getting a much needed break from human activity......... I think this situation also 

opens our eyes and our hearts up to what is truly important.     Every day ia a gift, we never know about tomorrow.   I also see that it exposes people for who they really are and what they stand for.    The planet is speaking to us........  We need to listen. 

I am Thankful for so much........ I am taking this time out for self care and reflection.   I am Thankful for my amazing caring husband ,   and our two dogs to help comfort me.  And of course thankful our kids and their families live near by.    

This is a nice thread to read everyone else's take on this situation