Honored Contributor

Re: How are we going to keep the vaccine cold enough?

@firestorm wrote:

Not your problem Mindy. People are paid to solve this.

@firestorm @I'm just curious how they will do it. It's interesting. 

Honored Contributor

There are special freezers for that. The ones I used when I worked in a virology lab were -70'C. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

EF35F39F-1266-4602-AA87-CB9C6BB684B0.jpegThanks

Thanks, @Kachina624 I found it.   Very cool. I read that it can be used for up to 10 days to keep the vaccines in it cold. It can be reused over and over for other shipments. 

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

Dry ice? I have no idea, really.

How would this vaccine not freeze? And why does it need to be stored that cold? Is this common for vaccines?

@happycat @It's common that some need to be kept cold but not this cold. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D 

I’m sure they are working on it. “We” don’t need to worry about it. 

No no one has any idea how well it works for how long - a week, a month...? But, nooo, no one is rushing it.

Wear a mask. Practice social distancing. It works better than any vaccine can hope to.

Honored Contributor

@IdahoGram wrote:

First of all I think you have your dates confused since today is Nov 11th.  Second, I imagoine there are people whose jobs this is, who are figuring it out.  Try not to worry, OK?

@IdahoGram @I am not worried. I am interested. 

QVC Customer Care

Super Contributor

There are companies that manufacture Ultra Cold freezers. They range from 20-30K each and manufactured to order but I hope they have been building them right along. There is also a portable size (still big) for smaller venues. 

I also saw an article that they plan insulated cardboard boxes with dry ice and then the vaccine box is inside the insulated box. The vaccine will travel by plane, truck, etc. by contract. They project a 2-3 day shipping time. The box is only allowed to be opened twice a day for only a few minutes. The vaccine needs to come to room temp before injection (so as not to kill anyone). The dry ice in the box can be renewed for a longer storage time. The travel logistics are complicated from plane to vehicle to site. Everything must travel on a tight strict schedule. Hopefully the drivers understand this.

There is a series of 2 injections several weeks apart (don't remember exactly) and it takes 28 days for antibodies to be made by the body.

I've only seen this once but to take the vaccine you must not have already had the virus?? (have not verified)

Regular medical practices, pharmacies, nursing homes, etc do not have the Ultra Cold freezers on site. Currently only larger research facilites/hospitals have them.  I've read that the vaccine would be distributed to the public in larger venues such as a sports stadium. 

It has to be -80 C or -95 F because the vaccine contains a mRNA (messenger RNA) segment which is very temp. sensitive.

Today I read that the vaccine company is trying to come up with a powdered form that will be reconsituted as needed and not require the Ultra Cold storage.

Not all the vaccines currently in testing/developement need the Ultra Cold storage but the one from Pfizer does.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Maybe other companies will produce an effective vaccine that does not require the extremely cold storage facility.

@deepwaterdotter   Russia already has a vaccine that does not need cold storage.  Supposedly this vaccine lasts 2 yrs & has already been given out to the general public.

The above was on the national news this date (11/11/2020)

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I heard they would use dry ice while vaccines are in transit.  That surprised me - I didn't know dry ice could keep things that cold.