Honored Contributor

How are we going to keep the vaccine cold enough?

[ Edited ]

Pfizer's vaccine requires storage at - 95 F /-70 C. States have been told to have plans ready for storage and distribution by November 2 ahead of receipt of the vaccine by Nov. 15th. Only three states have a plan nine days after the deadline. How will this logistics issue be accomplished? 

I have faith we will do it but I don't think most states will be ready right away. 

The temperatures. That see vary but I think that this  is the correct temperature for the vaccine.

-80°C / -112°F

Regular Contributor

Re: How are we going to keep the vaccine cold enough?

Not your problem Mindy. People are paid to solve this.

Esteemed Contributor

Not enough rocket scientists on these Forums to opine.

Honored Contributor

I thought they had some cubes designed for shipment and storage that keep the vaccine chilled.  Thats what they showed on TV.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Dry ice? I have no idea, really.

How would this vaccine not freeze? And why does it need to be stored that cold? Is this common for vaccines?

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

Pfizer's vaccine requires storage at - 95 F /-70 C. States have been told to have plans ready for storage and distribution by November 2 ahead of receipt of the vaccine by Nov. 15th. Only three states have a plan nine days after the deadline. How will this logistics issue be accomplished? 

I have faith we will do it but I don't think most states will be ready right away. 

It's probably the states' problem again. If they don't know how to do it, no one is going to help them. And they'll just get blamed again.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

Since there are projected shortages of dry ice, looks like it is a component of the "warp speed" plan.  Its not the norm for vaccines to require such cold temps; understand that some states are purchasing special freezers to store this vaccine.

Super Contributor

First of all I think you have your dates confused since today is Nov 11th.  Second, I imagoine there are people whose jobs this is, who are figuring it out.  Try not to worry, OK?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D  many places around the country have embryo, sperm, egg, stem cell etc, storage systems. , Many Vaccines  in existance have to be strored-58 to 40 so I am sure these machines can go lower. If not, they will be purchased and they have alarm systems, 

Honored Contributor

Maybe other companies will produce an effective vaccine that does not require the extremely cold storage facility.