Honored Contributor

Re: How about a forum titled Grandma to Grandma !

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Goodie2shoes    The forum moderators have said that no additional categories will be added.

My suggestion, as a workaround, from a fellow grandmother would be to start a post in the Mom to Mom section and put something in your title block that indicates it involves grandparenting. You could also include the particular month and the year 2019 in the title so readers can keep track of it if it becomes a popular long running thread like others in some categories have become.  And start a new one monthly.  The recipes forum has one that is monthly.  The fashion forum has a monthly one for watch lovers.

Anyway, just an idea, for what it is worth.

Yeah, that's a good idea.

Respected Contributor

To be a grandma you had to be a mom...right?

I would think the Mom to Mom forum is the right place to post grandma stuff.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Goodie2shoes    The forum moderators have said that no additional categories will be added.

My suggestion, as a workaround, from a fellow grandmother would be to start a post in the Mom to Mom section and put something in your title block that indicates it involves grandparenting. You could also include the particular month and the year 2019 in the title so readers can keep track of it if it becomes a popular long running thread like others in some categories have become.  And start a new one monthly.  The recipes forum has one that is monthly.  The fashion forum has a monthly one for watch lovers.

Anyway, just an idea, for what it is worth.

@aroc3435 @Goodie2shoes   A good idea and the Mom to Mom forum isn't made up of just young moms, either.  It wouldn't be stepping on any toes to have a grandmother thread. 

Posters share about grown children and I'm sure somewhere grandchildren have been mentioned, although I do not participate in that forum.

Also there are grandparents raising grandchilden.

However, if such a thread is started be prepared for some criticism to arise.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

@Goodie2shoes Oh what I would give, to be able to take care of my grandkids again. I miss everything about it, but they are all grown now Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

I have made a few suggestions for new forums and they were shot down fast by people who are regulars. They need to just get rid of some forums that are years old and haven’t had posts on them for a very long time....replace them with some people would actually be interested in reading and posting on.
Honored Contributor

There is no substitute for a good book and a good lap to read it from.
Honored Contributor

I can never be alone when my youngest granddaughter is here. Using the bathroom by myself is a treat I particularly miss when she is here.... which is twice a week...babydoll is 19 months old now and began walking at almost 10 months....I mean, really walking....never really toddled....off and running from the beginning, so she moves around the house like a stealth bomber...silent and fast.
I enjoy having her here because she and her 5 year old sister spend too much time on the iPad. I much prefer reading books to her...nothing like having her bring me a book and crawling up into my lap to explore it with me...my heart is full!
Honored Contributor

I seldom read the Mom to Mom forum and if there was yet another sub forum, I probably wouldn’t read that one either.  

I think it would be good to start a thread for grandma talk in either community or among friends.  I think a lot of posters who usually check out these areas, would see it and respond, in one of these two places 

Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess   I'm not that much of an Old Timer (lurked only for many years before i started posting) so no disagreement from me, but my impression is from reading earlier  requests from others is that we are fortunate to have the forums in any form at all.  

The moderators apparently have been told to hold the line against any additional "files" or "subfiles,"  or categories, so to speak, since the last conversion to the current format was made several years back.  And when the requests come up  for new additions eventually one of the mods will reiterate the "sorry, no new" that is the stance from corporate HQ.  

I know there are some categories that are quite inactive but there must be a lot of programming required to revamp all this.

Years ago, Kitchen Aid had an excellent forum and after many years it was quite abruptly cancelled.  The company decided it was not a necessity and just like that--poof! it was gone.

To this day, I still miss it.  It had lots of good info on it, especially about the stand mixers, recipes, tips, using their appliances, attachments, etc.  It was a really nice community of people and there was one moderator that was one KA employee who oversaw the whole shebang, essentially by herself.

So the bottom line, to me, is be careful what we wish and ask for or this whole shebang might just get yanked altogether.  If that happened, I, and I think a lot of other folks, would really miss it.  The Facebook QVC groups are not the same at all.

Anyway, time will tell.  Best to you . . . aroc3435

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435    Good point about how some of the sub forums many of us liked...are now gone. 

There was an exercise/fitness forum in the past.  I loved it. It got combined with the newer “wellness” forum.  In my opinion, “wellness” is more about “sickness”. 

Anyway...my overall point is that we have little control over the organization of this board, but can start threads in the forums where we think they’ll get the most views and responses.